Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I really cnat see why many of you are just confusing the issue. Cityruss said it more succinctly
    Overall deficit matters, not how you get there.

That statement is incorrect.

well explain why then.

You already know the "why".

It's the reason resistance training while in a deficit is widely regarded as a Good Thing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    The first time I trained for a marathon (many, many years ago) I was shocked to find that I had actually gained weight over the course of my training. I think that was because I wasn't tracking my calories at the time. I was obviously eating above and beyond the calories that I burned running. Exercise helped me to be fitter, but it didn't cause weight loss by itself. During my recent trainings, I have managed to maintain or lose because I have been actively tracking my calories.

It's true that exercise can help you create a deficit and earn more calories to eat, but exercise alone probably won't do anything to help you lose weight if you're eating all those calories right back. Personally, as someone who has successfully lost weight and maintained for several years now, I consider diet to be the key to weight management, and exercise to be more for improving fitness, health, mood and energy. But that's just my opinion. :)

Yes, you can gain weight while exercising ... if you eat more calories than you burn.

But if you're exercising a lot, you also have to be eating a lot in order to accomplish that.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread ... it took some doing for me to eat enough to maintain my weight when I was exercising a lot.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I really cnat see why many of you are just confusing the issue. Cityruss said it more succinctly

well explain why then.

It's the reason resistance training while in a deficit is widely regarded as a Good Thing.

So now you wnat to compare the differences in 500 calories lost through cardio v 500 lost through resistance? Its not what the OP was asking.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

well explain why then.

So now you want to compare the differences in 500 calories lost through cardio v 500 lost through resistance? Its not what the OP was asking.

Ah, no.

It's about body composition. How you make your deficit affects your body composition which affects the size of the deficit at any given caloric intake level.

"All calories are equal" is only true in a naive, superficial sense. Which means all deficits are not, in fact, the same.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

well explain why then.

So now you want to compare the differences in 500 calories lost through cardio v 500 lost through resistance? Its not what the OP was asking.

Ah, no.

It's about body composition. How you make your deficit affects your body composition which affects the size of the deficit at any given caloric intake level.

"All calories are equal" is only true in a naive, superficial sense. Which means all deficits are not, in fact, the same.

Whew, glad you elaborated. Otherwise was going to suggest changing your avatar to this

sphinx-front-wa-2001.jpg
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If you were maintaining your weight eating at a certain calorie level for low activity and then increased your activity without increasing your calorie intake then you would of course over time lose weight. Exercise has been important for me otherwise I'd have lost way slower.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did not begin to do any exercise until I had lost over 90 pounds. My knees made it very difficult to do much, but getting the weight off made it easier to move more, and I began taking walks. That was almost 3 years ago now. I joined a gym on 1/25/15 and have only missed one day the past 6 months. I have lost a total of over 160 pounds and have been on maintenance for over 20 months.

Unless you are eating at a calorie deficit, it may be difficult to lose weight from exercise, but any exercise is beneficial to your health and is definitely a part of a healthy lifestyle.

One thing that I have found is that I am a lot hungrier when I exercise than I was during the time I lost my first 90 pounds without exercising.

BTW, a co worker (who is a tri-athlete and races at least twice per month) says that weight loss is mostly (90%) about eating at a calorie deficit.

Even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat, so building muscle is very beneficial to burning more calories.

• WaterBunnie
    Options
    But the whole point is that the exercise burn is creating a calorie deficit isn't it?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    But the whole point is that the exercise burn is creating a calorie deficit isn't it?

Yes ... it can do exactly that. :) Unless you eat a whole lot during the day and use up that deficit.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    So the friend is wrong. To my mind exercise helps you eat more on a diet therefore keeping you healthier due to more nutrients coming in. Also strengthens your body - and your resolve - meaning you get a visible improvement sooner. Better for heart health, reduces diabetes risk, improves posture... why would you want to do it without exercise?
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. Some people seem to respond better to exercise as weight loss method. A lot of it comes down to mentality and mindset though. I find that if I start moving and working out that the healthy diet usually ensues. If I get a bit lazy it also starts to get reflected in my diet. Exercise is a good motivator and puts me in a good state of mind which helps me make better choices, nutritionally. That being said though, I'd put it down to like 80% diet and 20% exercise for actually losing weight but exercise is incredibly important.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it's because most people naturally eat more to compensate for the exercise they do.

Or in my case fall asleep and reduce my NEAT
  • yarwell
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    In my experience I burn like 8-10 cal per minute on a treadmill etc. if I was over eating by 1000 or more calories I would have to use the treadmill for like 1.5 hours just to maintain my weight.

Similar. It probably takes me over 7 hours to oxidise a pound of fat.
  • treesagreen1
    treesagreen1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. I love to exercise , but I don't need it to lose weight, I just need a calorie deficit.

And of course, exercise can help provide that calorie deficit. :)

• robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I did an unintentional experiment a few years ago.

I was a lot lighter than I am now but still had another couple of stone to be lost ideally. I was doing triathlons so was training an average of 9 hours a week. I went through a couple of months where my diet was bang on and training full on an I was still losing weight at a reasonable rate (1lb a week average), then summer came along and my diet went to crap but training was still full on. I maintained my weight throughout this period. Then the season came to an end and diet was crap and training was hardly anything, I gained weight pretty rapidly in this phase. Unfortunately the only phase I didn't do which would have made the results more useful was good diet and no training.

So there you go, 100% scientific evidence that exercise alone won't make you lose weight!! Sort of..... :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [edited by MFP mod]
    um. no.

some of us workout to train- because we have goals it has eff all to do with calorie deficit.

When I'm lifting on my programming- and I need to drop weight- the ONLY time I do cardio is when I cant' stand to eat ANY possibly less than I can stand. I'll use cardio to try to help my deficit. Otherwise- no- I maintaine through food alone- I train to train.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Cardio is better
  • yarwell
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    When I'm lifting on my programming- and I need to drop weight- the ONLY time I do cardio is when I cant' stand to eat ANY possibly less than I can stand.

Eh ?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Diet alone is the bottom line for weight loss or weight gain. It doesn't matter what kind of food one eats or if a person exercises or not. Exercise creates a deficit if someone wants one, and provides the bonuses e.g., healthy muscles, heart, endurance, skills, strength, sanity in some cases lol!

Put it this way... at the end of her life my mother was unable to get out of bed. She was also unable to eat anything. She literally slept around the clock and ate nothing. After several weeks she had withered away to around 80lbs (if I had to guess). She didn't exercise at all. She didn't eat at all. The end.