August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So question for the crowd... how much foam rolling do you all do?
    I am probably among the worst about foam rolling. Yes, I have a foam roller. Yes, I use it, but to be perfectly honest I only use it when I notice strain with my IT band. It seems as soon as that gets back under control, I forget all about it. Truth be told, I feel very uncomfortable trying to maneuver around on the dang thing. I generally prefer just taking a drumstick or rolling pin or something like that and attacking it myself, but I am sure the penetration is not as good.
    @WhatMeRunning & @briebee7: I think we need a 200-club first-timers support group! ;)
    I'm in! Does it have beer and a masseuse?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning & @briebee7: I think we need a 200-club first-timers support group! ;)

Beer for sure, but still working on lining up a masseuse ;)
  • nollaig1
    nollaig1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm not much of a runner but I'm going to aim for 100miles and see how that goes. Good luck everyone!
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Back after many niggling injuries, so hopefully will finish this challenge without further problems. Going to go for a gentle 80 miles to get myself back into it.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    WELCOME to all the new folks, and LET'S GO to all us old-timers! August is likely gonna be a tad rough in Middle Georgia (based on previous experience), but sweaty miles in chewy/muggy air beats no miles!

In for 135 miles this month.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Because I spent most of the month aiming for 100 miles walking/jogging/bicycling, I couldn't focus on anything else. I am going to drop it to 50 miles so I can include swimming and aerobics in my exercise routines.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! I found the July challenge and posted there before I saw this thread. I'd like to join you for August.

I'm a new runner, having completed C25k at the end of June. I'm currently running 30 minutes 3 days per week, and just added a 4th run day (20 minutes which I'll build to 30).

Over the next two and a half months, I hope to build up to a long run of 60 minutes, using the One Hour Runner plan. I'd also like to find a local 5k.

For the meanwhile, I'm tracking time not miles, so I am not sure what to do in terms of a ticker.

It will be nice to have some support in my running.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am probably among the worst about foam rolling. Yes, I have a foam roller. Yes, I use it, but to be perfectly honest I only use it when I notice strain with my IT band. It seems as soon as that gets back under control, I forget all about it. Truth be told, I feel very uncomfortable trying to maneuver around on the dang thing. I generally prefer just taking a drumstick or rolling pin or something like that and attacking it myself, but I am sure the penetration is not as good.
    I'm rehabbing some stuff- trying to get form/alignment back in place- and I know the running's going to do some damage- so I'm doing as much as I can for myself- so I've been trying to roll out after runs- usually only like 10-15 minutes- I don't have much time - I'm finding it helpful for my tight achillies/calves and my IT bands- but she's killing me at the PT table with that *kitten* so- it's more- a thought - than really aggressive rolling.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

For the meanwhile, I'm tracking time not miles, so I am not sure what to do in terms of a ticker.

It will be nice to have some support in my running.

You can make a ticker in the same place Stan mentions and use minutes as your unit. Welcome.

I own a foam roller and only use it when I'm really tight. I should probably use it more. I love and hate it at the same time.
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ah I wanted to be first @whatmerunning! ha ha!!!

I'll go back to 120 miles this month.

Twins! I will also be aiming for 120 miles in the month of August.

Triplets! Me too!!

Woo hoo!!!

August in Alabama - it's going to be a hot one!

86dl41vpc43b.jpg

• JoRocka
    Options

I own a foam roller and only use it when I'm really tight. I should probably use it more. I love and hate it at the same time.

I don't think anyone really LIKES their foam roller LOL

I have a little shorter- I find I like rolling on the longer ones better- I may have to cave and purchase the full length one- I use the one at the studio/gym way more than my shortie at home- partly b/c I think it's so short- but yeah. It needs to be done. LOL
  • Findmyfeet
    Findmyfeet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First timer, running and joining a group.

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Too bad I'll be out of town for this race. I wonder if I could do it as a virtual?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1636825919865133/

I love the bottom line on the shirt!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Beer for sure, but still working on lining up a masseuse ;)

Sounds like my kind of support group! ;)
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join in. I start building my base with my running club on August 11th. Hopefully, this will help me keep up my motivation. Training for my next half starts on October 20th. I've never started training this late in the season so I'm not sure how it will go just yet.

exercise.png
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm going to complete 50 miles this month :blush:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

There are times where I foam rolled a lot. Especially when I was dealing with my sore glute and hamstring the last couple of months. I have quite a collection at home.

NemjjV8.jpg

Then I have been known to take the tenis ball here at work and just sit on it in my chair and work those glutes out.

7Nevdgd.jpg

• bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    30 miles is my August goal.

exercise.png

• sherriegetsfit2015
    sherriegetsfit2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New to the group. Walker with a goal to become a runner. I am going to set my goal at 100 miles for August. Will work on my ticker later.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

There are times where I foam rolled a lot. Especially when I was dealing with my sore glute and hamstring the last couple of months. I have quite a collection at home.

NemjjV8.jpg

Then I have been known to take the tenis ball here at work and just sit on it in my chair and work those glutes out.

7Nevdgd.jpg

nods- my LAX ball goes EVERYWHERE with me.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Aiming for 40 miles this month. Lots of traveling to do, and all but one trip I should be able to get some running in. Hotel treadmill, here I come!