Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

Also eat some eggs. Just not 50 of them.

No man can eat 50 eggs

You, apparently, have never watched Jackass.

What we've got here is a failure to communicate. ;)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

Also eat some eggs. Just not 50 of them.

No man can eat 50 eggs

You, apparently, have never watched Jackass.

What we've got here is a failure to communicate. ;)
    :wink:
    Any forum user not following the rules, spends a night in the box.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could both stop derailing this thread with your nonsense so we can get back to the OP's very serious problem.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could both stop derailing this thread with your nonsense so we can get back to the OP's very serious problem.
    Cindy, I was trying to clue you in about the reference, not trying to derail the thread. I figured everyone had heard, "What we've got here..." since it's so commonly referred to in pop culture. If you haven't seen that movie, you should. It's a good movie as well as a classic. (Just advice.)

I was surprised by all these posts and skimmed through the thread. OP needs a therapist.

OP, we cannot solve your problems! You really, truly need a therapist. Whether or not you have an ED, a therapist is the person to talk this out with.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [edited by MFP mod]

OP- As many have said rest is important. It is a part of nature and life. If you feel its absolutely necessary to not have a rest day allotted for whatever reason, keep it low key. Ie: don't run 20 miles 7 days a week. Your body is generally good at letting you know what's going on; don't ignore the need to rest if it's there.

PS: in 100 years no one will care about a rest day or lack thereof. Be you, stay healthy.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    OP- As many have said rest is important. It is a part of nature and life. If you feel its absolutely necessary to not have a rest day allotted for whatever reason, keep it low key. Ie: don't run 20 miles 7 days a week. Your body is generally good at letting you know what's going on; don't ignore the need to rest if it's there.

PS: in 100 years no one will care about a rest day or lack thereof. Be you, stay healthy.

If you actually read the thread you'd see that the OP found the thread helpful, even the tough love.

You might also see that the OP over-exercises and under-eats on an almost daily basis. So your advice, whilst no doubt well meaning, isn't very helpful.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Babe you need to take at least one day a week where you do only a SLOW walk for a max of 40 minutes.
  • robspot
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    My post has been edited. So I actually gave no advice and said that the OP found some advice here and had made some changes. I am aware of the OP's issues.

That's the problem with nested quotes! My post was not aimed at you but I was adding to your comments to the previous poster. Not very well as it turns out :wink:
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Successful rest day yesterday! My diary was just ok, better than usual. I admit that I feel excellent this morning! Exercise today (my favorite class), but I'll be eating enough to compensate. I can do it
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Reading this with interest and noticing a very, very gentle evolution in your correspondence OP - you clearly have it in you to recognise the potential damage you are doing, and taking steps to rectify it.

Wishing you the best of luck, you have a positive outlook (despite beating up your body on a regular basis :wink:) and I reckon you can slowly find a way back to fuelling your poor organs properly. Go you.
  • Love2Rappel
    Love2Rappel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add as well... I sleep... I am sorry, but maybe I take rest days a little to literal.
  • robspot
    Options
    Successful rest day yesterday! My diary was just ok, better than usual. I admit that I feel excellent this morning! Exercise today (my favorite class), but I'll be eating enough to compensate. I can do it

Excellent! Small steps at a time. You CAN do it
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When I began this journey, rest days were easy, because I detested exercise.
    I was lazy, obese and looking for any reason to "rest".

Moving forward, I saw great results, became motivated and saw my plan through to the end.
    Today, rest days are challenging but totally necessary.
    Our bodies need this to recover. I train 3 hours daily, because my goals are high - very high, and again, I must rest properly and know my body. Some training days become rest days when I feel it's needed.
    Discipline is about clean eating and hard, smart training but also rest.
    I read books on that day. Fine something you can do that's productive while your body is in recovery mode.
    GOOD LUCK!

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

i work around a lot of professional/semi-professional athletes...they also work in seasons...they don't train balls year around...they also take weeks off here and there...yeah...full rest WEEKS.

really, if you've already made up your mind here, I see little point in dialog.

Yes! And sometimes months! Long story, but an example along these lines. My daughter manages a couple overuse injuries for a 2-season sport. Took her to a doctor who relayed a study about the dramatic rise in Tommy John surgeries. Evidently, the incidence of surgery in the south is several times the incidence in northern states. Why? Kids in the south play baseball year round and kids in the north take winter off.

The doc suggested figuring out a way to maintain condition while going light on comps in one season. She could do that, but she doesn't want to "throw away the season." She placed nationally but didn't make the U.S. team, so her season is over and she gets a couple months off before the next season starts. It's hard to explain to a 16 year old that years and years of disciplined training are for naught if your injury flares before the big comp. She has a lot of confidence in her ability to work hard. Less so on working smart. Apologies for the detour, point is elite athletes do a lot of calculus optimizing rest.
  • WBB55
    Options
    You netted 908 calories yesterday. Better than your average day over the past few months, I suppose. FUEL your workouts. FUEL your training. Your muscles CANNOT become as efficient as you'd like them if you don't GIVE THEM FUEL. I will bet you $5000 dollars that if you kept up with your 6 days/week training and ate at a net of 1200 calories every day for a couple months, you would see a boost in your performance and the people at your MMA class would be asking you "Woah, you're a BEAST now! What have you been doing different?" And your answer would be "Eating."
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    You netted 908 calories yesterday. Better than your average day over the past few months, I suppose. FUEL your workouts. FUEL your training. Your muscles CANNOT become as efficient as you'd like them if you don't GIVE THEM FUEL. I will bet you $5000 dollars that if you kept up with your 6 days/week training and ate at a net of 1200 calories every day for a couple months, you would see a boost in your performance and the people at your MMA class would be asking you "Woah, you're a BEAST now! What have you been doing different?" And your answer would be "Eating."

I like how this sounds to be honest. I can do 1200 per day if I make some small adjustments. If I feel hungrier around or after dinner time I could add in more snacks to get to the number. I think my calories, while low, are evenly spaced throughout the day and pretty consistent so part of the problem (aside from the calorie burn), is that I'm just not hungy after dinner. I'd be sick if I tried to fit more in just to hit a number. So I'll try to add more calories to all of my meals throughout the day and maybe try for an earlier dinner to enjoy a snack later in the evening? I did do some evening snacking over the weekend, some of it I forgot to log so my diary isn't exactly accurate but again, I did my strong lifts this morning and did feel better :smile: So continuing to work on that angle. Someone asked about my goals earlier and I guess my goals are simple, to maintain between 115 to 120, maintiain and maybe slightly build upon muscle and tone, I am not looking to bulk, and increase my performance/skills for boxing, muay thai, krav, etc. I guess another piece is that I don't want to just maintain.... I don't want to become settled, stagnant or satisfied with where I am. Every month I re-set myself with a new challenge or challenges e.g., lift more, run faster, lose a pound, decrease BF percentage. It's part of what keeps me motivated. So I should re-think my challenges as well. I need to give that more thought. Everything checks out with the doctor BTW. My levels are normal, nothing going wrong. She did say that I'm at the bottom of BF % and I shouldn't go any lower and I shouldn't lose any more weight. It occurred to me that perhaps when it comes to weight loss and/or body fat loss that maybe my body just has nothing left to give. With that said, I'm not stupid and I realise that if I have no fat or extra weight to give than my body has no choice but to go after the muscle. I get it, I really do. So here's a new week. I am going to keep my new work out schedule, take my planned rest day (with no activity), and try to maintain a 1200 calorie per day target. I was even thinking that maybe next week or the week after that I'd take an entire week away from the gym(s), and classes and take an active rest week. Walks with my dog, etc. but nothing intense. We'll see how that goes :smile: Thanks everyone!
  • WBB55
    Options

I like how this sounds to be honest. I can do 1200 per day if I make some small adjustments. If I feel hungrier around or after dinner time I could add in more snacks to get to the number. I think my calories, while low, are evenly spaced throughout the day and pretty consistent so part of the problem (aside from the calorie burn), is that I'm just not hungy after dinner. I'd be sick if I tried to fit more in just to hit a number. So I'll try to add more calories to all of my meals throughout the day and maybe try for an earlier dinner to enjoy a snack later in the evening? I did do some evening snacking over the weekend, some of it I forgot to log so my diary isn't exactly accurate but again, I did my strong lifts this morning and did feel better :smile: So continuing to work on that angle. Someone asked about my goals earlier and I guess my goals are simple, to maintain between 115 to 120, maintiain and maybe slightly build upon muscle and tone, I am not looking to bulk, and increase my performance/skills for boxing, muay thai, krav, etc. I guess another piece is that I don't want to just maintain.... I don't want to become settled, stagnant or satisfied with where I am. Every month I re-set myself with a new challenge or challenges e.g., lift more, run faster, lose a pound, decrease BF percentage. It's part of what keeps me motivated. So I should re-think my challenges as well. I need to give that more thought. Everything checks out with the doctor BTW. My levels are normal, nothing going wrong. She did say that I'm at the bottom of BF % and I shouldn't go any lower and I shouldn't lose any more weight. It occurred to me that perhaps when it comes to weight loss and/or body fat loss that maybe my body just has nothing left to give. With that said, I'm not stupid and I realise that if I have no fat or extra weight to give than my body has no choice but to go after the muscle. I get it, I really do. So here's a new week. I am going to keep my new work out schedule, take my planned rest day (with no activity), and try to maintain a 1200 calorie per day target. I was even thinking that maybe next week or the week after that I'd take an entire week away from the gym(s), and classes and take an active rest week. Walks with my dog, etc. but nothing intense. We'll see how that goes :smile: Thanks everyone!

:) Sorry we had to give you "tough love." I like how your post sounds MUCH BETTER than some of your posts from a couple weeks ago. You're doing a good job re-aligning your habits to your goals. I wish you much success. :)