WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
qkavowuk56vh.jpg

Here we are starting a new month with new resolve to live a more fit and healthy life. This is a lifelong journey for me and I love being in the company of supportive and encouraging women.

Welcome back to those of you who have been posting on this thread and welcome to those of you who are joining us now.

The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

How did you do with your goals and resolutions for July?

What goals and resolutions have you planned for August?

Please sign your post with your name or an alias and a location (general or specific) so we can get to know each other better.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

July Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk at least 15,000 steps a day (every day)
* drink at least nine glasses of water a day (every day)
*answer two long overdue e mails (both written and sent)
*strength training twice a week (seven times in 31 days)

August Resolutions
*walk 15,000 steps a day
*drink 9 glasses a water a day
*strength training twice a week
*thoroughly clean guest room
*thoroughly organize linen closet
*speak up--don't sulk

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT

Replies

• FPJ2015
    FPJ2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I like your goals. I'm away next week. But will try and support your goals into mine the following.

I'm eating 1200 calories a day and not loosing. So depressing I don't understand it.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie. Remembering to highlight the star so I can find this again.

Goals:
    To continue to eat fresh veggies from garden. Kale chips were a success this time.
    To keep working on a shelf or drawer a day and cull out things I don't need.
    Walk everyday
    Visit with a friend daily by walking, visiting or talking on the phone.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie!!
  • curly_girl
    curly_girl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i just came upon this group, and it brought a smile to my face, so i would like to join. I am 60, married, no children, moderately active, and have many interests that I have limited time to enjoy, due to my professional life. I have complex responsibilities, and a long commute, and have set a goal to retire in 3 years. I don't get enough sleep during the week, and don't have much time for myself. Gee, i sound pathetic! I do like my job, though, so my trade off is having a somewhat out-of-balance life. I am 6 lbs away from my goal weight. I like the idea of setting monthly goals, so here we go for August:
    15,000 steps/day
    9 glasses of water/day
    swim 2x/week
    yoga daily, even a short practice
    no food after 7:00, except fruit/veg

Oh, and I live near Boston.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Greetings Lovely Ladies,
    Yet another month is here again. Thank you Barbie for getting us going on the new month. Ladies, we can do this, weather its to lose weight, break a plateau or maintain. We must all take responsibility for ourselves but it is wonderful to have the support of this group. Let's make it a great month for all of us!smiley-happy105.gif

Love you,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach
  • joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I have been on MFP since mid-June and have lost 13 pounds so far, just from logging food and keeping track of my macros. But I hit a plateau recently and know I will have to become more physically active in order to keep losing.

I have really enjoyed reading the July thread and drawing tips and inspiration from everyone. I'm 58, married, no kids, and a graduate student living in central Alabama.

Goals for August include:
    • Cardio 3x a week
    • Strength training 3x a week
    • Eight glasses of water a day
    Joanl9
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thanks for getting us into the new month!

I read everyone's comments, but didn't do the comment thing.. lots of clients picking up and dropping off today so lots of interruptions... Happy weekend everyone, and may August be all that each of us want it to be.

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles Made just 169, not bad but not to goal…
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 – 10 not so good… but will repeat this
    Log everyday – Only missed 6 days in July – Happy dance
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    W3 – final week of camp
    W4 – summer starts (for me) 3 days with my “boys” , a trip to SF,
    W5(ish) started researching quilt classes, and said good bye to my gourmet group-I’ll miss the cooking but not the toxic/downer ladies

August goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 –
    W2 –
    W3 –
    W4 –
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,372 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Crunch Live Total Body. I'd meant to do an extreme cardio DVD. So I'll do that one tomorrow

Later this morning I will go in the pool, then I need to go to Bi-lo to get a veggie tray. See, the Newcomers are having a pontoon party and I'm going to go. I figure veges aren't something that will spoil in the sunlight. I did make an asparagus dip and I have a small insulated container that I'll put that in.

Mary from MN - just be sure you push the right button for the floor on the elevator!!!....lol

chris - even at $8 (and I do love a bargain), there is no way I could wear those shoes. I hand it to you

Lily - what an adorable helper you had there!

Janet OKC - cute pants, and those shoes match so nicely

I honestly don't get it. I believe I'm eating decently (you can check my food logs, it's open. If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all open to it), my weight is in the high 120's, my watch is so loose on me sometimes it falls to the bottom of my wrist. Usually in summer because of the heat my wrists expand a bit. Yet my stomach doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Any suggestions anyone to get rid of this "pouch"? I usually do some sort of cardio 3 days/week, something with weights 3 days/week, and one day of "active recovery" (like yoga or pilates or Wii games) So what's up with this?

Kim - so sorry for your gain. This summer I have not bought any ice cream for me (for Vince, yes). What I find is if I freeze some grapes, they are just as sweet as ice cream. Hope this helps. I can't imagine sleeping in 100 degree weather

JanetMMc - wow on those steps. Pretty soon you'll be riveling barbie. How did you get so many in? Isn't it funny how we want something smaller (you wanted 1/4 of that bar). Now when I go to the store, so many things I turn down because they're too big. Thanks for asking about Vince's shoulder. Nothing new yet, we're still waiting for the results of the MRI. He just left now to go get his INR taken (he's on coumadin). He did have an appointment with our family MD about his being in the hosp, and the MD said "if they want to do surgery, tell them not until you get your heart taken care of" But we shall see what they say. I don't know if taping the tablecloth will work since it's uneven on the bottom of the table, plus you have the legs to deal with. I've done this before and it really doesn't take much time at all to cut it down and then sew it on the sides. Fortunately, it's a straight cut so I can sew it. I've sent back salads that had cheese on them and it didn't say on the menu that it contained cheese. If the salad had dressing on it, you can bet I'd send it back in no time. The guy (Eric Stafford) that we're going to have doing the cariactures was on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire". His drawing of the host looks pretty good

Mary from MN - congrats to your gs. Cherries were $1.99 here, too and I bought a few bags. I WAS going to give one bag to Jess only her plans changed and she didn't come down here. So guess who'll wind up eating them? (be still my heart) Safe travels

Sylvia - I don't remember (CRS), do you pour your own ceramic molds? Actually, does anyone have access to bisque ceramic molds? I'm on the lookout for LARGE things to put out by our pool. I'm thinking a mermaid, pelican, swan, bee, seahorse (would want 2, each facing opposite directions, to hang up on either end of the pergola on the upper patio), octopus, shark or manatee. At least one dimension (length or height) should be 14-16"

Joyce - glad those ant traps are working for you

Sharon - I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm sure it was done because she was probably one of the highest paid. That's why Vince was offered the retirement package that he took. He was one of the highest paid executives and they could get someone younger (and cheaper). Problem is that they don't have the background (like why something didn't work before so it won't again). What exactly is long boarding?

Alison - good for you going on that picnic by yourself. I'm going to the pontoon party by myself. I'm not sure why Vince doesn't care to do. Oh yes, it's because he's of the opinion that there isn't much room on the docks for the food. To me, it'll be something different. Where is NC is your friend?

mamenat - you say you don't think like most people. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

pip - I think you were very smart to pass on that marathon. I know how much you love to run, but you never know what the future holds. What if you had signed up and then couldn't do it? You'd feel horrible. You make me smile -- putting on your boots for Alison's hubby. You must really be in pain if you are asking for pain meds. Oh no, no pain meds.

cory - good for you turning that donut down

Heather - my freezer is bursting, too. Have fun with your friend

Tomorrow after exercising I'll probably go to the farmer's market

NC Carol - oh, I do hope you can make it Aug 30 (keeping fingers and toes crossed). Bummer you still have to be in the sling

Becca - you ARE wise and inspirational. I for one love reading your posts

Welcome everyone new!

Michele in NC
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the new month. I'm pretty new to this group. Am 60 with one boy in college ang one boy just graduated. I live in CA. I have a busy professional life but make time for hobbies.

I started T25 workout 5 weeks ago. Eat 1100-1200 calories daily and have lost 3 pounds. I've also gained a lot of muscle and feel great. I'm hoping to get off my plateau soon as I want to lose 18 pounds.
    Fiddle
  • jonicalifornia
    jonicalifornia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started a week ago, and lost 2 pounds so far. I am 57 years young.

Goals for August:
    eat healthy
    1200 calories/day
    journal
    drink 9 glasses of water/day
    exercise everyday (walking or riding my bike)
    get plenty of rest at night.
    paint some new closet doors

"Getting old is not for Sissies"

Have a fabulous August to all!!

jonicalifornia
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hey curly_girl... Welcome! I live near Boston also. Maybe we are neighbors!

Good evening everyone!

Off to the beach for the day tomorrow, practicing for Mexico! Leave next Saturday. It's been about 4 years since I took a whole week off and I am so excited. I will have an extremely stressful week at work before I go so you may not hear from me. I will try to keep up with all the posts though.

I think I was pretty successful with my July goals, but I don't remember all of them, I think they are written down in my office. But I do remember:
    Increase water consumption to 64oz/day...hit it 3 days and came real close 16 days
    Walk at least 11k steps/day...hit it 30 out of 31 days
    Log everything I eat...31 out of 31 days
    Strength training 3x/week...epic fail
    Do something every day that makes me happy...31 out of 31 days

This month I turned another year older but feel 2 decades younger.
    I discovered that I can run, but chose not to.
    Participated, finished and did not die doing a high intensity fitness class.
    Made exercise a high priority by getting up early to do it before anything else, including coffee.
    Went from a size 8-10 to a solid 8.
    Lost 3 lbs. and am 3 lbs. from my first major goal and 7 lbs. from a healthy BMI.

I gave myself the greatest birthday gifts.

August goals
    Drink 64 oz water every day
    Walk 12,000 steps/day
    Exercise first thing every morning.
    Log everything I eat
    Do something everyday that makes me happy

Good night ladies. I need to rest up for relaxing on the beach.
    Chris in MA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,647 Member
    Options
    i'm here!!! in pain but here dammit!!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for keeping us going. B)
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie :flowerforyou:, you're the best <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy032.gif I am thrilled to see new faces and familiar faces. I have been posting on Women Ages 50+ since 2009 and can't imagine my life without all of you to keep me company on the road to health, fitness, and longevity

:'( Pip, I am sorry you are in pain....I am sending soft hugs to you <3

smiley-sleep012.gif Barbie from NW Washington
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been MFP'g since June and have lost 5ish pounds....slow and steady is fine with me. I am a recently retired elementary teacher trying to adjust to this new life (and it's going great), married, no kids but owned by 2 cairn terriers. I'm going to set a few goals that will be attainable, then add a new goal each month. Here's to progress~

*Walk Nigel (dog) each morning
    *Cardio 3x a week on base (May as well use that free benefit my hubs earned in Air Force)
    *Light weights 3x a week
    *Keep food diary updated
    *New window treatments in the RV sleeping area

Karen
    Oklahoma
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    woohooo...I made it...
    Becca on the correct thread....
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    i'm here!!! in pain but here dammit!!

Pip, that sucks big time. SORRY!! If you wanna run by my house, I'll share you a couple of my hubby's pain pills :) Shhh don't tell!!

Janetr OKC

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks again for keeping us going into a new month. I love your poster "take a deep breath and start again". I have thot for the last two days about my August goals. Maybe that's part of my problem, my goals may have become a bit fuzzy.

Goals for August:
    1. This is a life time journey (from Barbie) NOT a race. I need to really get that thru my head. I'm reading "Winning After Losing", think its going to be very beneficial to me.
    2. Become comfortable in my new body and love myself from the inside out.
    3. Enjoy my new found energy, strength and stamina.
    4. Continue to log food faithfully and not be controlled by the scale. (Not depend on weight loss for validation, if it happens great).
    5. Water aerobics 3-5 times a week. Stationary bike 30-60 minutes daily.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    August Goals:
    -exercise every day....(mentally show up!)
    -continue to log and eat like I have had a "gastric bypass in my head"
    -drinking my 2-3 liters of lemon water or plain water daily
    -continue to pay attention and acknowledge all the changes in my body's appearance.
    -continue to be vigilant in my kitchens contents and larder. The kitchen is my front lines of the battle I am engaged in.
    -keep remembering that losing weight isn't the key to my happiness. That happiness in myself is the key to losing weight!

I wanted to share a fun thing I did when I had lost a lot of weight with Jenny Craig. I had gone to a bead store and bought a bunch of beads, and some larger beads. I called them my "Journey beads". So the big beads separated from one month to another. The smaller beads inbetween represented weight lost. My husband said it kind of looked like rosary beads but I didn't think so. Just a nice physical reminder of the loss. I made the cord the stretchy kind, and easily could add more beads as the months wore on. I wore the necklace at the nudist resort, and could tell people of my journey. On the months that I gained I didn't put on "bad beads" or anything. I just didn't put on beads. Sadly I was so disappointed in myself with Jenny Craig I tore apart the necklace... Time for me to go back to one and restart this fun exercise.

Becca in Oregon.