Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    So I had yogurt for dessert tonight. Instead of using a measuring cup and just putting the yogurt in a bowl, I put the empty bowl on the scale, measured 1/2 cup of yogurt, and put it in a bowl. The yogurt ended up weighing 4 ounces, which is -- guess what -- 1/2 a cup!

Ounces aren't the most accurate either, weigh in grams, if you can. For example, 2.00 ounces (56.7 grams) of raw cashews is 352 calories, 2.99 ounces (85 grams) is 527 calories. That is a big difference.

Based on my age and weight and activity, I think your logging maybe off. I am 48 menopausal and weigh around 112 lbs, similar activity level and my TDEE is around 1880. When I first reached maintenance last year, it was around 1730, so it has increased over the last 14 or so months with only a slight increase in activity.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Now I'm starting to feel like people are seeing me as this pig who is in denial, especially after the video of the obese woman who is eating 3000 calories a day whose metabolism is measured as around only 2000, which I find a bit insulting.

As far a weighing liquids like yogurt and such, I assume you put the cup on the scale, 0 the scale, and then add the yogurt? And stuff you spoon? How do you do that with peanut butter/almond butter, not that it's something I eat too much of anyway. Or olive oil that you cook with -- you measure that by the spoon. Already, I'm seeing my meal prep and clean up lengthen by about 30 minutes.

We don't see you as a pig or anything of thr such. But you have to understand that statistically a trained person under reports caloric intake by as much as 400 calories. Since you aren't weighing everything, its the first thing that should be addressed.

If you are menopausal then it may be beneficial to eat a low carb diet. The women i worked with that have menopause have seen some great success with it. For what reason, i am unsure. Its potential that the additional fat is helping regulate hormones.

Also, have you considered trying a doing a structured lifting program instead of classes? Its possible that lifting heavy will help boost your metabolism a bit.. and worst case you could see some composition changes.

There does seem to be some connection to a lower carb diet. I have seen it in myself.

I don't eat "low" carb but I did reduce my carb intake to a moderate level. I find that I feel better...lose weight easier...and have more energy. On occasion I have a high carb day...I feel sluggish...have trouble adhering to my calorie goal...and just don't feel as well generally. I initially went with moderate carbs in order to be able to eat a larger quantity of food...

• Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Feeling cold and a cold base temperature...people with cooler baseline temperatures burn a little less in calories from what is used to keep your body warm. But metabolic conditions such as hypothyroid can indeed slow the metabolism and lower what your body will burn. And the TSH test alone does not always find thyroid problems and it does nothing for other metabolic issues either. Or you may just end up being one of those people with a cooler baseline temperature and prone to feeling cold. You felt like crap with a temp of 99.5 that is actually not very high for most people when sick but for you it is a whole 2.5 degrees higher (if 97.0 is normal) so it is equivalent to a temp of 101.1 in someone whose normal is 98.6. I would make sure you get this checked out.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Now I'm starting to feel like people are seeing me as this pig who is in denial, especially after the video of the obese woman who is eating 3000 calories a day whose metabolism is measured as around only 2000, which I find a bit insulting.

As far a weighing liquids like yogurt and such, I assume you put the cup on the scale, 0 the scale, and then add the yogurt? And stuff you spoon? How do you do that with peanut butter/almond butter, not that it's something I eat too much of anyway. Or olive oil that you cook with -- you measure that by the spoon. Already, I'm seeing my meal prep and clean up lengthen by about 30 minutes.

Nobody is calling you a pig in denial. :( I'm very sorry you thought that.

The video was only used to show that at least 99 times out of 100 people who think they have a slow metabolism don't have a slow metabolism. Also, that a doubly-labeled water test would confirm if you did.

The point that is being made is that we ALL need to tighten up our logging, especially the closer we get to a perfect BMI.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I really want to sign up for one of those tests. That sounds awesome.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote:
    We don't see you as a pig or anything of thr such. But you have to understand that statistically a trained person under reports caloric intake by as much as 400 calories. Since you aren't weighing everything, its the first thing that should be addressed.

If you are menopausal then it may be beneficial to eat a low carb diet. The women i worked with that have menopause have seen some great success with it. For what reason, i am unsure. Its potential that the additional fat is helping regulate hormones.

Also, have you considered trying a doing a structured lifting program instead of classes? Its possible that lifting heavy will help boost your metabolism a bit.. and worst case you could see some composition changes.

I finished menopause early, around age 43. I had tried South Beach severa years ago with my husband, which is low carb, but I couldn't do Phase 1 which is the no carbs at all, even no fruit, stage because I felt sick and weak by about 11:00 AM So I did Phase II and did end up losing about 20 lbs. within about 6 months (I was 140 at the time due to a foot injury causing me to be sedentary). By low carb, how low do you mean? My macros are set to 35% protein, 30 carb, and 25 fat. I tend to go over a bit on carbs because I do eat fruit and yogurt or may have oatmeal or a small bowl of cereal in the morning, but otherwise I'm not a big starch eater. My husband's diabetic, so we don't have pasta very often, and bread is usually whole grain or low calorie like Fiber One 100. If I'm using full calorie bread, I eat half a sandwich rather than a whole one because it seems as if all that bread is a waste of calories. Rice I limit to 1/2 cup cooked. I could give up the rice because I'm not attached to it, but would hate to give up fruit and yogurt.

I was doing structure lifting before the injury and am planning to go back to it in the fall. I've only just been back at the lighter stuff for a couple of weeks, so I want to see how I do. I had to take an Aleve after one of the classes this week.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's an illustration of how common it is to misjudge and to fool oneself with ones food intake. It's not an insult. It's a way to help people (lurkers / posters) come to the realisation that even when we believe we are doing everything right and have our reasons lined up for why it's not working, science can prove us wrong

I find it an excellent tool self-realisation and that's why I posted it ...no direct insult intended...I thought you were looking for help
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @rosebette , low carb varies for people. But most people i see aim for 50 to 100g. That would be net carbs. It may be beneficial to join the group that was posted on the first page. It has many woman who have fone through menopause.
  • rosebette
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's an illustration of how common it is to misjudge and to fool oneself with ones food intake. It's not an insult. It's a way to help people (lurkers / posters) come to the realisation that even when we believe we are doing everything right and have our reasons lined up for why it's not working, science can prove us wrong

I find it an excellent tool self-realisation and that's why I posted it ...no direct insult intended...I thought you were looking for help

That's not to say that tweaking with measurements might not help. But I guess my point in the post was not that I'm eating so little and not losing, but that my actual measurable metabolism is so low. So it's not "I'm eating only 1200 calories and not losing so there must be something wrong with me," it's my metabolism even at moderately or lightly active is only around 1300-1400. I am actually eating only around 1200, so if my metabolism is so low, even if I were off by a few calories,of course, I wouldn't lose or could even gain. It just seems that the metabolism number itself is quite low. I'm not the woman who has a 2000 metabolism and can't lose because she's eating 3000. I'm the woman who has a 1300 or lower metabolism and can't lose because it's really hard to stay at that low a calorie level. Yesterday, I got to over 2000 because I kickboxed and hour and took and hour and half walk; I got to eat 1600 ad was quite satisfied -- I just can't do that level of activity every day of my life.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The point of " low carb" or better known as " ketogenic diet" is to enter a state of ketosis which is 25g carbs or less. After keto adapting "some folks can eat up to 50g carbs and still be in ketosis but this is not common. Eating 50-100 is not low carb
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    That's not to say that tweaking with measurements might not help. But I guess my point in the post was not that I'm eating so little and not losing, but that my actual measurable metabolism is so low. So it's not "I'm eating only 1200 calories and not losing so there must be something wrong with me," it's my metabolism even at moderately or lightly active is only around 1300-1400. I am actually eating only around 1200, so if my metabolism is so low, even if I were off by a few calories,of course, I wouldn't lose or could even gain. It just seems that the metabolism number itself is quite low. I'm not the woman who has a 2000 metabolism and can't lose because she's eating 3000. I'm the woman who has a 1300 or lower metabolism and can't lose because it's really hard to stay at that low a calorie level. Yesterday, I got to over 2000 because I kickboxed and hour and took and hour and half walk; I got to eat 1600 ad was quite satisfied -- I just can't do that level of activity every day of my life.

Am I the only one confused by this use of calorie limits as a measure of metabolism?

"Your basal metabolic rate accounts for about 60 to 75% of the calories you burn every day."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I looked at your diary. It is sloppy, and some of your exercise burns are way over-estimated.

Plainly and simply, you're eating more than you're willing to admit.
  • rosebette
    Options
    So in other words, the fitbit Charge HR is not even measuring my daily calorie usage accurately. Therefore, if it says my TDEE is 1300-1400 on a moderate active day, I'm burning way less than that, and on the rare days it says I'm burning 2000+ it's not even doing that? So should I set my goal at 1000 a day and just eat that?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The fitbit devices are configured to estimate calorie expenditure and many find them reasonably accurate. As an older lighter less tall person they might be a bit less accurate for you. Your RMR is likely to be around 1200 - 1300 and if you want a measurable rate of loss you will bump into MFP's 1200 minimum.

Eating 1000 a day of nutrient dense varied foods for a month would be a place to start, the weight loss rate will indicate your true metabolic rate.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So I had yogurt for dessert tonight. Instead of using a measuring cup and just putting the yogurt in a bowl, I put the empty bowl on the scale, measured 1/2 cup of yogurt, and put it in a bowl. The yogurt ended up weighing 4 ounces, which is -- guess what -- 1/2 a cup!

Well, 4 ounces is not the same as 4 fl ounces anyway... I guess I can see why you're not logging accurately if you assume that 1/2 cup of food is always 4 ounces.

Weight /= volume.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So in other words, the fitbit Charge HR is not even measuring my daily calorie usage accurately. Therefore, if it says my TDEE is 1300-1400 on a moderate active day, I'm burning way less than that, and on the rare days it says I'm burning 2000+ it's not even doing that? So should I set my goal at 1000 a day and just eat that?

That's pretty much the exact opposite of the advice you're getting.

Fix your logging first. Until then, you have no idea what's really going on.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Making sure you are logging correctly is usually the best place to start, as others have said.

Aside from that....are you just taking the fitbit at face value, or have you actually tried to eat more and gained weight? I certainly wouldn't try this this until you feel more comfortable in your logging accuracy. Once you have that under control, you'll have better info to base your decisions on.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Just as a little aside, a lot of people find weighing in metric rather than imperial more accurate.

I know you are not too keen on weighing absolutely everything, but give it a go for 2 weeks at least and see if it makes a difference.

As I, and others, have said earlier, your bmr is not outside the norm for your stats.

You could settle down and do some math and work out your actual exercise burns instead of depending on monitors, fit bits and other devices.
    To do that you would have to get your logging for food and exercise as tight as possible.

I did it over a period of 4 weeks ( started losing when I changed my routine) and arrived at a TDEE of 1450 ( 60x5 plus weights x 3 per week) on a 971 bmr.

Cheers, h.

Ps 61yo, 5'1, 100-105 lb maintain at 1200 ( 6yr) without exercise.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here's a different perspective (or maybe not, I've been following this post for a couple of days but don't remember all the advice): Maybe you're at a good weight already? You are just over 5'1" and post-menopause... That's pretty darned good. You can do a lot for your future by building a bit of lean muscle mass. Maybe the calorie focus is throwing you off from what you should be focusing on?
  • rosebette
    Options
    I haven't been using the fitbit to eat more. I've actually been eating less since getting the fitbit because MFP overestimates the burns for a lot of activities, or perhaps they are the burns for the "average" person, whereas the fitibit is measuring what a person of my height, weight, and age actually burns. I haven't gained or lost since getting it, just stayed the same. I just ran into a colleague of mine at work -- a huge guy, over 6', and young in his 30s -- who was also wearing one. We did the same level of activity, i.e, basically being in an office all day (in fact, he put in fewer steps) and his burn was more than double mine. I would say, then, that that's pretty accurate since the guy is younger and more than twice my weight.
    I guess I have to figure on if I want to "settle" or aggressively pursue my goal again by further micromanaging numbers and calories. This was a question I visited on another thread a while back. The whole discussion has actually gotten me a bit depressed, especially after I listened to a classroom presentation by a student in one of our degree programs on eating disorders. She talked about how someone with an ED looks at a cookie and doesn't think about how much she'd enjoy the cookie, but how many calories are in it and how much exercise she must do to work it off. I began to think as I listened that this is now how I am living my life.