Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride

exercise.png

I don't like it when the first is on a Saturday since I don't run on the weekends! I feel like I'm starting off behind.
    Tomorrow is first day back for teachers. Back to my 4:30 am runs. :cry: At least it shouldn't be too hot! However, my long run, on Wednesday will have to be in the afternoon/evening - because I can't get up at 3:30 am! I'm crazy... but not that crazy! Going to work a rest day into the week -- Friday. I am probably going a little crazy on Mon-Thur to get all my workouts in.

@JoRocka - What a nice running store! I have Sauconys and Brooks and I am finding I like the Sauconys much better. I have the Triumphs.
    @WhatMeRunning - Love the Ogre!
    @JimCrackinDandy - awesome times! You are doing great!
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    I am in for 75 miles! :)
    twins!
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm in for the month. Shooting for 50 miles but hopefully more. 2 miles for me today...48 more to go!
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    3 more today, 68 to go!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 16.5
    8/2 - 10

26.5/200 goal

@JoRocka - wow such a great, uplifting story

@skippygirlsmom - fitting in all the miles will be tough but necessary for training. Lots of very early mornings! I work full time and have 2 young kids (2.5 and 5.5 years old). I aim to get back from my runs either before they wake or close afterwards. I was back from my 10 miler by 8am today in order for my husband to be in the pool by 8:30. Lots of coffee drinking!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! I think this month I'll be brave and increase my "usual" (for vacationless months) 100km by ten percent - so 111 km will be my goal.

@Stoshew71 Thanks for setting up this challenge every month!

@JoRockaP Wow, that was so nice of the running store guy to find you some shoes for your money. Just out of curiousity, which Saucony did you get? I was sad when I had to (mostly) retire my "ProGrid Paramount 2" shoes, and replaced them with the Saucony Guide 7 for my long runs. Went nearly 300km with them until now, and for me, they are a good fit.

@leanlicorice Welcome to this challenge.

@shanaber Non-too-hot weather and a pool at the end of the run, that sounds lovely!

@ddmom0811 I'm a little jealous of the cool temperatures that will give you, but getting up at 4:30, that is tough. Great dedication on your side, not sure I could drag myself out of bed that early every morning.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This morning I did a 30 minute run followed by walking home. During the warmup-run-cooldown part, I went about 3.1 miles, at a 12 minute mile pace. It was a bit slower than usual, due to . . .

Shin splints! Ugh. At least, I guess that's what's going on. When I first started jogging last winter, I got a tightness in the front of my shins which I thought was muscular/being out of shape. At the time, I just took walk breaks whenever I felt it. It never happened during C25K. Since last week (when I added one 20 minute run to my week), I've been getting it while warming up, and then it would go away.

I guess my fears of overtraining were not so far fetched. I'm trying to figure out the culprit, and what to do to recover. There are too many factors to be sure what's to blame. I added a run day last week. I walk a lot (a LOT). I've been doing Jillian Michaels videos 4-5 days per week, and they are pretty high impact. My doctor took my orthotics to have them recovered a month ago (but gave me her blessing to jog while waiting to get them back). And I'm in the city, so there's tons of concrete and asphalt, and a real dearth of soft trails and grass.

Any advice on how I can deal with this before it gets to be a major problem? Today is the first day I've had a bit of residual shin achy-ness after my jog, so it's definitely time to nip this in the bud.

I guess I won't get a ticker until I decide what to do in terms of running this month.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    2/8: 8.1 Miles

exercise.png
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    8-1: 2.5 mi
    8-2: 2.62 mi

5.12/30
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Great start to the month everyone!

@JoRocka - Congrats on the shoes! I hear there may be doggie pics but I'm not seeing them on my phone. :-(

@CancerSurvivor2014 - Good call listening to your body and walking. Hope that knee is OK!

@shanaber - Those breezes on humid days are such a relief. Hope your sunburn is not too bad.

@ddmom0811 - That seems like a good way to make sure you're not going crazy by the time you are willing to wake up. 4:30 is die-hard runner, but 3:30 is crossing that sanity line.

@demoisele2014 - I don't really have any advice for shin splints but definitely hope that gets better! I used to get that when I was younger and took up running. Never knew what caused it then. I've been lucky, I guess, to not get them now. So I definitely hate hearing anyone having to deal with that.

Today was a planned "depleted legs" long run. I guess they were well depleted today by how they felt! :lol:

8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 12 miles (22 miles total)

Goal 220 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles

13.2 miles of 120

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Had some strong winds today, so my afternoon 6 miler felt awesome. Still, happy to head back up north tomorrow for a week where I'll try to get in 2 long runs + my usual mileage.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles

Total: 9 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 131 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I hate my laptop, I typed this post 5 times and keep losing it.

I think my highest mileage month was 150 or 160 last year before I was hurt. I'd like to get back to that slowly but surely I will. Being a single full time working mom doesn't leave lots of time for me. Work is so busy I've been getting there by 7:30 and working to 5:30 or 6:00 and then doing more at home. With school starting this week I'll be back to running with Skip for practices and meets, she's involved in youth group and religious education. She is a big help and will do any chore asked of her, but during the school year getting good grades is her #1 priority. Now if I hire a lawn guy, a pool guy and a housekeeper/laundry/cooking person I'd be set ha ha!!!

@shanaber ouch on the sunburn!
    @elise4270 I hope hubby knee is okay
    @jimcrackindandy great times!
    @ddmom0811 great riding miles :star:
    @demoiselle2014 I only had some slight issues with shin splints a while back, rest and ice helped them go away

Can you imagine this happening on your run!

http://runhaven.com/2015/04/15/strangers-hijack-runners-sunday-run-awesome/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=55be0d1404d3014f03000001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for August

8/1 17 miles - 17
    8/2 REST DAY

exercise.png

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I don't like it when the first is on a Saturday since I don't run on the weekends! I feel like I'm starting off behind.
    Tomorrow is first day back for teachers. Back to my 4:30 am runs. :cry: At least it shouldn't be too hot! However, my long run, on Wednesday will have to be in the afternoon/evening - because I can't get up at 3:30 am! I'm crazy... but not that crazy! Going to work a rest day into the week -- Friday. I am probably going a little crazy on Mon-Thur to get all my workouts in.

I also feel like I'm losing ground. I do usually run on weekends, but last month I just pushed so hard to make my goal that I feel like I need a couple of rest days. It'll be fine. We can catch up.
  • gglo135
    gglo135 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ill go for 100 miles - the 6.4 ive done today
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    This morning I did a 30 minute run followed by walking home. During the warmup-run-cooldown part, I went about 3.1 miles, at a 12 minute mile pace. It was a bit slower than usual, due to . . .

Shin splints! Ugh. At least, I guess that's what's going on. When I first started jogging last winter, I got a tightness in the front of my shins which I thought was muscular/being out of shape. At the time, I just took walk breaks whenever I felt it. It never happened during C25K. Since last week (when I added one 20 minute run to my week), I've been getting it while warming up, and then it would go away.

I guess my fears of overtraining were not so far fetched. I'm trying to figure out the culprit, and what to do to recover. There are too many factors to be sure what's to blame. I added a run day last week. I walk a lot (a LOT). I've been doing Jillian Michaels videos 4-5 days per week, and they are pretty high impact. My doctor took my orthotics to have them recovered a month ago (but gave me her blessing to jog while waiting to get them back). And I'm in the city, so there's tons of concrete and asphalt, and a real dearth of soft trails and grass.

Any advice on how I can deal with this before it gets to be a major problem? Today is the first day I've had a bit of residual shin achy-ness after my jog, so it's definitely time to nip this in the bud.

I guess I won't get a ticker until I decide what to do in terms of running this month.

Try stretching. Here's a video that targets the shins and ankles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hi All! I am new! Well...new here.

I am training for a half, so been out running 4 times per week.

I plan to run 120 miles in August.

August 1st - 2.5 miles
    August 2nd - 8.1 miles

Total for August: 10.6 miles.

Welcome @shell1005 there are a few of us getting ready for a half. Nice to have the company! Whens your half? I will be doing my first in October.

1- 8.35 miles. walk
    2- 5.9 good run.

"Slept" in pain, woke in pain. Thought no way I'd be running for days.. Pain mysterious abated and I made a nice run with the tail end of this cool front, 85°f 55% humidity.

@ddmom0811 good luck on your training and schedule change. My hours change Monday, so it's my chance to take advantage of early run opportunity, maybe 530. I am to chicken to run at 430 in the dark! Be safe out there!

14.25/70+

@demoiselle2014 new shoes helped me. I found that the 4mm drop on cambored asphalt was not good for me. I changed to an 8mm without the medial support post (trail shoes), ran more trails, and backed off the miles. Massage and ice seem to help too.
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Try stretching. Here's a video that targets the shins and ankles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

Thank you for the video and the link!