WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• wings651
    wings651 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    I'm new to this group but have been off/on with MFP for a few years (most recently OFF). I am making a commitment to DO THIS THING once and for all. My name is Heidi, I turned 50 last November, I currently weigh about 265 pounds and I'm 5'8". I live in Phoenix, AZ with my DH and two wonderful Toy Fox Terriers, Max & Ziggy. I do work full time and I'm already in the habit of bringing my lunch to work with me daily, I just need to make healthier choices. I am looking into following a diabetic diet but not sure where to start with that one (suggestions are welcome).

Goals for August:
    Log food daily
    Log exercise daily
    weigh once per week
    measurements once per month
    Plan weekly meals on Sundays - make grocery list from planned meals

All of the above can be done, even if there is nothing to log (exercise for example). I just want to get in the habit of doing this. Thanks for letting me be part of the group!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    Topathemorning - where do you live with the fab restaurants? But you are right, eating and prepping at home is a very good aid to weight loss. I eat delicious low calorie food every day at home. When I am travelling and am confronted by only fast food joints it is very hard to find anything enticing to eat.
    Today I was able to have lunch with my friend at a seafood place, under an umbrella, in the sunshine. :D I had six oysters and a starter portion of mussels. I didn't drink the sauce. I had some white wine and an espresso. I'm logging 450 cals for a lovely lunch.
    Then I walked fast for a good hour back to my friend's apartment. Today I have burned off 779 cals in all as I did my machines before I left. I am looking forward to the lamb curry DH has made me. :D Can smell it now.

DJ - I am so happy for you with the weight. What a great feeling! You have been very consistent I feel. I am sure we would all love to see a photo of you. :love:

I so enjoyed seeing my friend. And the train journey. On the way back I treated myself to First Class for a small upgrade fee. Wonderful and peaceful. I read my Buddhist book, THE WISE HEART, on my phone Kindle app. Feeling very Zen. :laugh:

Don't know if I am going to Paris. Probably not. My friend was in two minds about it and I don't want to put pressure on her. The point of her going in the first place is to enjoy her son's visit there from Hong Kong. And her beautiful granddaughter. I just thought there might be gaps when the toddler needed downtime etc. The last thing I want is for her to be worrying about me! Though I am in heaven just walking about. Paris makes me happy! :D

Lisa - that pool looks amazing!

Love to all. Heather in sunny and warm Hampshire UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather - glad you had a wonderful time with your friend and upper-crust train ride home. I volunteer to come and go to Paris with you. Being a seasoned Parisian visitor, you can show me what the tourist miss. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy sun.woke up to kisses and hugs from Violet,nice way to start the day,
    hugs
    jane
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Guess where the warmest place is of your house when it is over 100 degrees outside. The roof!!!!!! we have been cleaning the moss off. glad to be done.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy, I blew it yesterday. Just ate too much. I worked at a trade show and there was just nothing healthy to eat. Then I was starving after so we went out to eat and I never thought a restaurant could make a bad salad, but this one sure did! I need to plan better.

Really need to get more exercise and set some goals!

Annr-someone sent me this and I thought of you, hope you get a chuckle out of it!
    l2l4g2d1y941.jpg

LOL! Gayle Minneapolis

• Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just 'marking my spot' as poop says. Not read everything as been busy getting a weekends worth of housework done today due to being at work every day next week. Hope you all have an enjoyable week. I am hoping to make most of the sunshine as they are warning it will only be here for a little while.
    Sad news today that Cilla Black has passed away. She was a big star here, from Liverpool and managed by the same chap as The Beatles.
    Gilly, Suffolk Uk
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,728 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -
    jmkmomm - kirby is a pharmacy tech at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle WA. the pain that i am getting is because i'm doing it to myself by putting on the brace to intentionally push the bone down. i'm starting to wear (today was the first day) more normal tighter sports bra that will put more pressure on the bone.

hello rebemae - you just joined, no need for permission. give us a bit of info bout yourself :0)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    katla - yeah, i'm aware the pot is legal here. back in the day i used to sell it, it wasn't my thing then and it sure isn't my thing now. don't care for it, never have, EVEN if it did help w/pain lololol.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stat for the day: it was a quickie -
    spin - 30min, 91aw, 107aw, 10-13g, 13.5mi = 291cal

today i am at 1100 consecutive logs !!

started out the month 5 lbs under my goal weight. i saw my BMI is at 21.5.

mom just called to check up on me. i'm doing good.

type to ya later! take care my peepers
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,817 Member
    Options
    in bed, and checking out after a few minutes I am beat.
    went to the shore with Tom walked the boardwalk, sat an watched the boats for awhile. tried sorta to talk to him, and everytime I do he just starts blubbering..
    his lunch is made, his dinner is set. and I am going to bed.. will check in in the a.m.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    in bed, and checking out after a few minutes I am beat.
    went to the shore with Tom walked the boardwalk, sat an watched the boats for awhile. tried sorta to talk to him, and everytime I do he just starts blubbering..
    his lunch is made, his dinner is set. and I am going to bed.. will check in in the a.m.

take care of you my dear friend. we only have one life to live, this isn't a dress rehearsal. love you
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,817 Member
    Options
    Love you too, each and every one <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! Ate lunch at Guy Fiero's it was the best food we've had in a long time!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • mamenat
    mamenat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dear Miriamwithcats,
    What you say about skin folds is true. I understand your use of gentle language and I believe that you have witnessed skin folds that deteriorate beyond fungal infection. Although, positive thoughts drive us better than fear, I feel compelled to mention (just once) that skin folds are alarming.
    I wouldn't mention my dread and fear to the lady that I took care of. I made light of it when she asked "how bad is it?". The care of her skin folds was a fifteen minute treatment every three hours. She bled and suffered and I worried about infection as I carefully washed, gently dried and meticulously packed each hot, bloody crevasse.
    Of course we are on diets. We are headed in the right direction. There's no reason to dwell on it. We learning from my patient, and changing our lives accordingly.
    I want to share what I know but I am afraid to bum people out. I benifited from knowing the lady. I can only hope it is a benifit to all of you.
    Mame
  • mamenat
    Options
    Hey Rebamae,
    I'm not sure how to join. I just started talking. The others noticed me and sent acknowledgement. You'll like it here. Welcome
    Mame
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebamae and Mame: You join by posting. You're both in, and very welcome. To find us again, click on the star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. Then you look for the gray star whenever you log in to MFP and click on it. It will bring you here. :flowerforyou:
  • mamenat
    Options
    Dear Michele,
    How nice to be able to talk about the benefits of the chin up machine. I was so surprised when it worked my abs. I wanted to tell people about it. You work out a lot, don't you? I'm at the gym every day now. I miss the feeling of power and strength that gave me such confidence when I was young. I'm getting some of that back now. It makes me smile a lot. It makes me sleep like a log. I'm more courageous, more patient and sympathetic, and harder to ruffle. Why did I tell myself that I didn't have time for the gym for years?
    Mame
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy032.gifToday I made good use of my happiness commandment "Lighten Up"...I think it goes well with Heather's "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". None of my plans seemed to work out and I just reminded myself to "lighten up" and I felt better and not stressed.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif One piece of my plan for the day was my weight training which is one of my resolutions that is still a struggle for me....I completed my routine this morning interrupted by helping decide where to plant the lavender plants,putting laundry in the dryer, walking the dogs, and fixing and eating lunch....I remembered that Heather told me to have the weights out so they were convenient.

smiley-happy032.gifMiriam, whenever I read your posts it makes me happy thinking about you with your cats....I have one and I love him dearly, but would love to have more.

smiley-happy032.gif I think we all live in interesting and beautiful places but where others live always seems more exotic. Sometimes when I go somewhere near where I live, I remind myself that many of the people on the road have saved up to come for a visit to the place I live.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif