Why am I not losing weight when I seem to be doing everything right??

Options

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you still have not answered the questions correctly:
    1. Are you using a food scale and weighing everything you eat in grams?
    2. how are you determining your workout calories, and how many of those are you eating additionally to your 1200kcal?

A food scale, no,

I'm not determining anything, I'm working to my best, and trying to burn off a good amount, and I eat back most of what I've worked off :)

If you're not using a food scale that's probably your problem, you may be eating more than you think.

In your diary you've got calories burnt through exercise. The question is how are you determining how many calories this is.

Also just to point out, there's no need to cut out processed foods or eat a big breakfast if you don't want to. Neither are necessary for weight loss.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    bratterz_xoxo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind, but I took a look at your diary. I think if you made some changes to your eating habits, you may find that you feel less sick after working out. For example, cut out all sugary drinks (pop, juice, squash, etc), drink only water, tea and coffee, and up your protein intake. Your body needs protein to repair your muscles but it also makes you feel fuller for longer. Try to limit the amount of sugar you eat (especially refined sugar too) because it will make you want to eat more food and junk food. Doing some of these will help you regulate your blood sugar better and help you feel less desperate for food or sick after working out. Also, the numbers on here and on your gym equipment which tell you how many calories you burn are estimates only and usually over-estimated. Try to limit the number of calories you eat back from after a workout so that you aren't just eating back what you've burned off.

That's completely fine :) thank you for your advice, i will keep this in mind! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D
    "Not eating enough" isn't the cause for not losing weight. Eating too much is.

You need to log accurately and be patient.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're not burning as much as you think you are and you're probably not logging properly and underestimating your calories. If you just started working out though your muscles might be holding on to water as well, which would explain why you're not losing.

Tighten your logging, eat only half your exercise calories, and you will lose.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D

I am logging accurately like I've said.. :)
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You're not burning as much as you think you are and you're probably not logging properly and underestimating your calories. If you just started working out though your muscles might be holding on to water as well, which would explain why you're not losing.

Tighten your logging, eat only half your exercise calories, and you will lose.

Okay.. thanks :)

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I've already put, i've been logging on here for about a week. the other two weeks I have been using another app thanks.

Apologies. So you did and I presume this is the post you are referring to:
    rushfive wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calories eaten? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How long have you been trying to lose weight?

I'm just following it on here, and eating the right things. Also, sometimes, not everyday, and about 3 weeks, but I've only started to use this app again for the last week.

I suggest that you be consistent in logging here for at least 1 month with as much accuracy as you can manage, meet your calories goals and if you still see no movement then reconsider your methods. It's still too early to tell what is going on and we have no data to go on with your 2 week stint prior to landing here - which I suspect was rather inconsistent to begin with.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

I've already put, i've been logging on here for about a week. the other two weeks I have been using another app thanks.

Apologies. So you did and I presume this is the post you are referring to:
    rushfive wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calories eaten? Do you eat back your exercise calories? How long have you been trying to lose weight?

I'm just following it on here, and eating the right things. Also, sometimes, not everyday, and about 3 weeks, but I've only started to use this app again for the last week.

I suggest that you be consistent in logging here for at least 1 month with as much accuracy as you can manage, meet your calories goals and if you still see no movement then reconsider your methods. It's still too early to tell what is going on and we have no data to go on with your 2 week stint prior to landing here - which I suspect was rather inconsistent to begin with.

Okay thank you :)
  • DemoraFairy
    edited August 2015
    Options

But you've also said you're not using a food scale, which means you're probably not logging accurately.

Let's look in your diary. Yesterday you've got 2 portions of 1 white bap, and 20g of butter. If you're not weighing stuff you don't know that you had 20g of butter, it could have been more. You don't know if the baps you ate were 212 calories, even if you went by the calories 'per bap' on the packet it could well be more (I started weighing slices of bread because they were always at least 10g more than what it said an average slice would be on the packet). The day before you've got 100g of a french stick. If you're not weighing it, you can't be sure it's 100g. It might be small differences between what you're logging and what you're actually eating, but small differences add up.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest

You don't need to weigh your food to lose weight, but if you're not losing weight and doing everything else right, then chances are that's the problem. Once you start weighing your food if you're still not losing then you know it's something else that's going wrong.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

But you've also said you're not using a food scale, which means you're probably not logging accurately.

Let's look in your diary. Yesterday you've got 2 portions of 1 white bap, and 20g of butter. If you're not weighing stuff you don't know that you had 20g of butter, it could have been more. You don't know if the baps you ate were 212 calories, even if you went by the calories 'per bap' on the packet it could well be more (I started weighing slices of bread because they were always at least 10g more than what it said an average slice would be on the packet). The day before you've got 100g of a french stick. If you're not weighing it, you can't be sure it's 100g. It might be small differences between what you're logging and what you're actually eating, but small differences add up.

You don't need to weigh your food to lose weight, but if you're not losing weight and doing everything else right, then chances are that's the problem. Once you start weighing your food if you're still not losing then you know it's something else that's going wrong.

I actually used the scanner for the baps and i put hardly any butter on them.. but anyways, i might start weighing things, even if it is a bit odd..
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Your diary is full of generic foods and takeout foods, which aren't the most accurate way of tracking your calories.

As for exercise, are you just going by what the machine is telling you? If you are, best cut that number by half because machines and MFP numbers are overestimated.

And, if you are convinced you are doing everything precisely and correctly, then why are you asking for advice? You don't seem to be very receptive to what others are telling you.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I just want to point out that meal timing is extremely individual -- I do the exact opposite of this (light breakfast, moderate lunch, usually heavier dinner and snacks in the evening) because a big breakfast doesn't do anything for me, hunger-wise, beyond about 11 AM.

OP, I'd absolutely recommend* looking at meal-timing in terms of how it fits your life/habits, but don't feel bad if it turns out that the standard "eat a big breakfast!" advice doesn't work for you.

Also, seriously: get a food scale. While there are people who do well without one, if you're one of us who have trouble visualizing portions, you'll be surprised by how much more accurate your logging becomes. The more accurate your logging, the more likely you are to see movement on the scale.

(* I mean, for what that's worth. I'm not a doctor or a dietician or nutritionist or anything like that. My recommendations are totally anecdotal.)
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you aren't using a food scale (and particularly measuring in grams), then you're probably logging inaccurately, no matter how carefully you may think you are doing it. Check out this short video,it is very eye-opening. :)
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Your diary is full of generic foods and takeout foods, which aren't the most accurate way of tracking your calories.

As for exercise, are you just going by what the machine is telling you? If you are, best cut that number by half because machines and MFP numbers are overestimated.

And, if you are convinced you are doing everything precisely and correctly, then why are you asking for advice? You don't seem to be very receptive to what others are telling you.

Take out foods? I'm pretty sure i haven't had a take away in recent weeks.. All of the food i've had at home. The only time i've been out for food is when i had my grilled salmon, which was a healthy meal..

And i'm asking for advice because i'm confused? I thought i could ask for advice :/
  • DemoraFairy
    edited August 2015
    Options

I actually used the scanner for the baps and i put hardly any butter on them.. but anyways, i might start weighing things, even if it is a bit odd..

Yeah, and the scanner just uses the calorie information on the packet (also, make sure to check that it's correct! A LOT of the entries in the database are out of date). If the packet says that an average bap is 50g less than the bap you ate, you'll be logging less calories than you ate.

I find it funny that so many people say weighing food is odd. I think it must be a cultural thing, here it would be odd not to weigh your food if you were following a recipe, so if you're trying to be accurate, of course you'd weigh it.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »

I just want to point out that meal timing is extremely individual -- I do the exact opposite of this (light breakfast, moderate lunch, usually heavier dinner and snacks in the evening) because a big breakfast doesn't do anything for me, hunger-wise, beyond about 11 AM.

OP, I'd absolutely recommend* looking at meal-timing in terms of how it fits your life/habits, but don't feel bad if it turns out that the standard "eat a big breakfast!" advice doesn't work for you.

Also, seriously: get a food scale. While there are people who do well without one, if you're one of us who have trouble visualizing portions, you'll be surprised by how much more accurate your logging becomes. The more accurate your logging, the more likely you are to see movement on the scale.

(* I mean, for what that's worth. I'm not a doctor or a dietician or nutritionist or anything like that. My recommendations are totally anecdotal.)

Thank you for your nice response. I suppose i'll have to try it out and see if there is a difference :) thanks!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

You may be logging everything, but that doesn't mean that you are logging it accurately. By not using a food scale, using generic food entries, and eating back all of your exercise calories it is easy to wipe out a deficit.

You need to make sure that you are using the correct food entries when logging. Common mistakes include using generic food entries, using entries that are labeled homemade that you didn't create yourself, and not double checking the NI on new items. You can learn how to be more accurate by reading this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Exercise calorie burns are just estimates and can be off by quite a bit, especially if you are getting your numbers from a cardio machine or from the MFP database. It is recommended that if you plan to eat these calories back that you only eat back a portion of them, usually anywhere from 25%-75%. You will have to play around with that for a bit to see which amount works best for you.

People keep recommending a food scale because it really does make a big difference, especially when it comes to more calorie dense items. It could mean the difference between being off by a few calories or a few hundred. You can pick up a good one for about $20. Start weighing everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

They lost weight because they were in a calorie deficit, which means they were eating less than they burned. Just logging food into the app doesn't do anything, you have be logging what you are actually eating and in portions you are eating it. If you're not losing, you are eating more than you think, which is why people suggest weighing solids and measuring liquids. You'll be able to see how much you are actually eating, and adjust from there.
This discussion has been closed.