Why am I not losing weight when I seem to be doing everything right??

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D
    "Not eating enough" isn't the cause for not losing weight. Eating too much is.

You need to log accurately and be patient.
    I am logging accurately like I've said.. :)

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest

Some people can successfully lose weight without using a food scale; most others can't. You can reduce your portion sizes to cut those calories, but the best way to know exactly what you're eating is to weigh it out.

Example: I just made my breakfast, toast with peanut butter and a banana. I've seen bananas range in calories from about 70-140 depending on the size, which is quite a difference. The nutrition label on my bread says a slice is 43 grams. This one weighed 45 grams, which adds a few more calories. And peanut butter is very calorie dense, so it can be easy to go over if it isn't weighed. I've lost 62 pounds this way, when otherwise I'd probably have gained 10 in the past year and a half.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D

If you aren't weighing, no you aren't.

• bratterz_xoxo
    bratterz_xoxo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    If you aren't using a food scale (and particularly measuring in grams), then you're probably logging inaccurately, no matter how carefully you may think you are doing it. Check out this short video,it is very eye-opening. :)

Thank you very much :)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest
    Well, how's that working out for you so far?

• bratterz_xoxo
    Options

If you aren't weighing, no you aren't.

okay..
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Well, the thing is. When i was 15/16 I used this app and lost two stone without weighing any kind of food so, I think i'm able to do it again.
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I will point out that 600 to 700 calories burned in the gm everyday might be too high too.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Well, the thing is. When i was 15/16 I used this app and lost two stone without weighing any kind of food so, I think i'm able to do it again.

Just because it worked for you before does not mean it will work for you NOW. People are helping you; they're telling you to weigh your food for more accuracy. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but it really is the best advice.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

Again, how's that working out for you so far?

People have given you good advice. I've lost the equivalent of 70% of your total body weight, so it's not like I'm totally clueless, either. But you, while having trouble losing weight, seem more interested in doing what you think should work rather than what successful people have told you will work. Perhaps you can see why there appears to be a bit of a disconnect there.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Just because it worked for you before does not mean it will work for you NOW. People are helping you; they're telling you to weigh your food for more accuracy. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but it really is the best advice.

Yes I understand and I've said "okay" and "thank you" to multiple people and they still keep going on about it. I understand, I need to get a food scale and that's fair enough :)
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    op, maybe read some of the help tips in the general weight loss posting, and the food/fitness postings. Usually noted as announcement.
    You just need to learn a little more about diet/exercise for weight loss.

Fill your plate 1/2 with veggies, 1/3 with meat, 1/3 with fruit, starch. Be honest. Portion control is important.

You are eating more calories than you think.
    Good Luck to you.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Again, how's that working out for you so far?

People have given you good advice. I've lost the equivalent of 70% of your total body weight, so it's not like I'm totally clueless, either. But you, while having trouble losing weight, seem more interested in doing what you think should work rather than what successful people have told you will work. Perhaps you can see why there appears to be a bit of a disconnect there.

Excuse me.. ? I've been successful in past too so I'm not totally clueless either thanks. I've cut my calories down massively, so that's why i find it odd. And, actually become active again. Like I've said to a previous poster. I know about scaling it all out now like multiple people have said. So I'll see how that goes. Thanks.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think the issue may be that you are 5'1". I am 4'11" us shorties have lower calorie goals than most. If you want to message me I can help.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have a question about your calorie burns and you may have already answered it, but what types of exercises are you doing to hit over 600 calories burned and for how long are you exercising? This seems extremely high to me...of course I don't usually log my exercises... :D
  • lepineapplecat
    lepineapplecat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    easy. Eat less calories (less than your BMR), and since you're 5'1 to lose weight as swiftly as you'd like, try eating 1000 calories a day or less. Or intermittent fasting; fast for 15-20/24 helps me reduce my intake significantly. Working out isn't going to make a difference if you don't eat less since weight loss is 90% dietary; eg. Cut butter/oil out of your diet, stop eating junk food/sweets/chocolate etc. basically cut down and you'll lose weight, and depending on how much you cut down, you'll lose weight faster.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »
    op, maybe read some of the help tips in the general weight loss posting, and the food/fitness postings. Usually noted as announcement.
    You just need to learn a little more about diet/exercise for weight loss.

Fill your plate 1/2 with veggies, 1/3 with meat, 1/3 with fruit, starch. Be honest. Portion control is important.

You are eating more calories than you think.
    Good Luck to you.

Okay, thank you for the advice :) thank you very much ^_^
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    I think the issue may be that you are 5'1". I am 4'11" us shorties have lower calorie goals than most. If you want to message me I can help.

ahaha that's true! thank you! :')
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    I have a question about your calorie burns and you may have already answered it, but what types of exercises are you doing to hit over 600 calories burned and for how long are you exercising? This seems extremely high to me...of course I don't usually log my exercises... :D

I do half an hour on the treadmill, I put it up on a slope of 6.5 and the speed 6.2, doing this burns off around 270-280 calories, then I do 15 minutes of the cross trainer, I can't remember what the incline is on that, but the other one i click 8, burn off around 153 calories by going quite quickly, then back to the treadmill again, same amount of calories usually, then, I go on the seated leg press, I don't long that down though ad use other kinds of weights :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Yes I understand and I've said "okay" and "thank you" to multiple people and they still keep going on about it. I understand, I need to get a food scale and that's fair enough :)

It took a few minutes to write out my post and get the links to put into it. By the time I hit post reply several new posts popped up above it. It happens, especially when someone takes the time to dig up some information to help you understand things better.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    easy. Eat less calories (less than your BMR), and since you're 5'1 to lose weight as swiftly as you'd like, try eating 1000 calories a day or less. Or intermittent fasting; fast for 15-20/24 helps me reduce my intake significantly. Working out isn't going to make a difference if you don't eat less since weight loss is 90% dietary; eg. Cut butter/oil out of your diet, stop eating junk food/sweets/chocolate etc. basically cut down and you'll lose weight, and depending on how much you cut down, you'll lose weight faster.

This is all terrible advice.
This discussion has been closed.