Why am I not losing weight when I seem to be doing everything right??

Options

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    easy. Eat less calories (less than your BMR), and since you're 5'1 to lose weight as swiftly as you'd like, try eating 1000 calories a day or less. Or intermittent fasting; fast for 15-20/24 helps me reduce my intake significantly. Working out isn't going to make a difference if you don't eat less since weight loss is 90% dietary; eg. Cut butter/oil out of your diet, stop eating junk food/sweets/chocolate etc. basically cut down and you'll lose weight, and depending on how much you cut down, you'll lose weight faster.

No. You don't eat less than your BMR. You eat less than your TDEE. No. You don't only eat 1000 calories a day. That's not healthy long term especially not for a teenager who is still growing. No. You don't need to cut butter/oil/chocolate etc out of your diet. That is RIDICULOUS. All the OP needs to do is use a food scale which she already knows, to eat only half of her exercise calories as 600+ cals burned seems rather high and probably inaccurate.

Well done OP on becoming more active and looking to lose a few pounds. There is a vast amount of DECENT knowledge and experience on here. The quoted post above however is drivel so please ignore it. Good luck!
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D
    "Not eating enough" isn't the cause for not losing weight. Eating too much is.

You need to log accurately and be patient.
    I am logging accurately like I've said.. :)

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest
    Well, how's that working out for you so far?

Well, the thing is. When i was 15/16 I used this app and lost two stone without weighing any kind of food so, I think i'm able to do it again.

Just because it worked for you before does not mean it will work for you NOW. People are helping you; they're telling you to weigh your food for more accuracy. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but it really is the best advice.

Yes I understand and I've said "okay" and "thank you" to multiple people and they still keep going on about it. I understand, I need to get a food scale and that's fair enough :)

It took a few minutes to write out my post and get the links to put into it. By the time I hit post reply several new posts popped up above it. It happens, especially when someone takes the time to dig up some information to help you understand things better.

My reply was more to address her defensive nature and seemingly unwillingness to change, as the OP views weighing food as "weird" and kept arguing that she lost so much weight before and she didn't have to weigh her food.

When you ask a question on the forum, and people give you an answer of "x", you don't argue back that you never needed to do "x" before and that "y" worked just fine BEFORE. It makes you seem ungrateful and stubborn, hence why people were saying it over and over. You just didn't seem like you were listening.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. Eat back your exercise calories so that your "net" calories are at least 1200 - therefore you need at least 1800 with your activity level.

Also cut out the processed food in your diet and replace with whole foods. When I switched from processed to unprocessed food without changing anything else, I lost another stone and I eat loads. Eat lots of the right foods, combine with regular exercise and you will lose weight.

Don't be put off if it takes a couple of weeks for the weight to start coming off - let your body adjust to the changes you are making to your lifestyle :) aim to lose 1-2lb per week, no more than this as it will be far easier to maintain and it is much healthier than crash dieting (which will only lead to weight gain once you eat normally again).

I agree with previous post - weigh your food and log it exactly - you can save your meals on here so its only a pain the first time you make a meal.

Finally, what has helped me is to eat a HUGE breakfast - make it your biggest meal of the day as it is your fuel for the day ahead. Then a good sized lunch and more moderate sized dinner. Don't eat too late in the evening. Eat plenty of protein rich foods if you're doing a lot of exercise. And healthy fats (unsaturated) such as nuts, avocados, oily fish etc help when trying to lose weight and also keep hormones regulated.

Thank you for this post, this has helped me a lot, and made me feel a bit better about everything, i'll try and follow your advice, thanks again! :D

If you are not weighing your food to determine how much you are eating, then you could be off by hundreds of calories. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is likely a logging issue.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Stair-treadmill ergometer, general 288 calories 30 minutes: This seems high.

I used a food scale for about a year and a half and lost 72 lbs.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    bratterz_xoxo Posts: 46 Member
    Options

If you're not weighing your food, you're not logging accurately. You need to know how much you are eating in order to log it in your diary accurately.

I'm sorry, but I know quite a few people who have lost a good amount of weight, and not one of them has weighed there food? They have just used this app? So I find it a bit odd to be honest

Well, the thing is. When i was 15/16 I used this app and lost two stone without weighing any kind of food so, I think i'm able to do it again.

Just because it worked for you before does not mean it will work for you NOW. People are helping you; they're telling you to weigh your food for more accuracy. I'm sorry if it's not what you want to hear, but it really is the best advice.

Yes I understand and I've said "okay" and "thank you" to multiple people and they still keep going on about it. I understand, I need to get a food scale and that's fair enough :)

It took a few minutes to write out my post and get the links to put into it. By the time I hit post reply several new posts popped up above it. It happens, especially when someone takes the time to dig up some information to help you understand things better.

My reply was more to address her defensive nature and seemingly unwillingness to change, as the OP views weighing food as "weird" and kept arguing that she lost so much weight before and she didn't have to weigh her food.

When you ask a question on the forum, and people give you an answer of "x", you don't argue back that you never needed to do "x" before and that "y" worked just fine BEFORE. It makes you seem ungrateful and stubborn, hence why people were saying it over and over. You just didn't seem like you were listening.

Okay I've been. Out for half an hour and come back to that? Its hardly defensive
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options

Okay I've been. Out for half an hour and come back to that? Its hardly defensive

• bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    Okay to reply to that my phone went weird. I can post my opinions if I like and I don't have to follow certain advice if I don't wish too. If you don't like how I respond simply don't reply on here, simple :)
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    Oh and also, the reason why I get "defensive" is because some people have been plain rude. So I have a right to get defensive because there's no need to be rude.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, the reason why I get "defensive" is because some people have been plain rude. So I have a right to get defensive because there's no need to be rude.

You're asking people for advice. If you don't want the advice, then disregard it. But your way clearly isn't working (that's why you made this post asking for help), so dismissing it doesn't make much sense.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Okay to reply to that my phone went weird. I can post my opinions if I like and I don't have to follow certain advice if I don't wish too. If you don't like how I respond simply don't reply on here, simple :)
    That's not really how a public forum works, though.

And, yeah, you come across as defensive and dismissive over here, too.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. It's only been 3 weeks and you've only been using this app for a week. You may just need some patience. Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people, these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those extra earned calories. Certain activities tend to be overestimated by MFP and that can cause you to unintentionally eat too much. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

5. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

6. If you do all of those things and you still cannot lose weight after 5-6 weeks, then you should check with your doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    I

I just said I did? Never denied I didn't?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I

I just said I did? Never denied I didn't?
    Well, when people put words in quotes, like "defensive," it often means they don't agree with the application of that term. If that's not how you meant it, then I misunderstood your use of the quotes.

If you believe someone has been rude to you, you can report those posts to the moderators, though I'm not sure which posts those might be.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    1. It's only been 3 weeks and you've only been using this app for a week. You may just need some patience. Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people, these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those extra earned calories. Certain activities tend to be overestimated by MFP and that can cause you to unintentionally eat too much. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

5. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

6. If you do all of those things and you still cannot lose weight after 5-6 weeks, then you should check with your doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

OP, This is Great Advice. ^
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

No, you got defensive because no one was telling you what you wanted to hear. No one was being rude.

You came on here, asked why you weren't losing. People came on, asked if you were weighing your food. You danced around the question, then finally admitted you weren't weighing. Other MFPers said if you wanted to log accurately, you needed to weigh your food. You argued and got defensive that you didn't need to do it before, weighing food was "weird", and that people lost weight without logging.

So yes, this is why the same thing was said over and over again.

And no, I am not being rude. But I am calling you out, because I think it is in extremely poor taste to call these people "rude" when they are just trying to help.

• bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

OP, This is Great Advice. ^

• bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    I didn't mean to just quote that, I'll get back on my laptop once I'm home to reply properly but I agree that it's a very good post, I was going to reply to it when I got in :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

All very good points. I agree with these!

Also, I am 5'1" and I know that I don't need to be down to 1200 calories to lose weight (I'm working on losing the baby weight from my last pregnancy, that's why I might look like I've yo-yo'd). So I disagree with those who say we shorties need to eat only 1000 calories to lose weight, barring other medical conditions.

Tighten up your logging - weigh foods and make sure the entries are all as accurate as possible. Eat back some of the exercise calories. Stick with it for a month, and see where that puts you.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at getting some body fat scales, instead of just basic weight ones - perhaps all that gym work, you are slowly gaining muscle without realising it, so your weight is staying steady, but actually you are toning and your body fat % is getting lower.
    No, not this.

Chances are you are eating more than you think and burning fewer calories than you think.

Well, I'm logging everything I'm eating, so I don't think that's the case. :)
    If it were as simple as logging, people wouldn't have issues. Logging accurately is the goal.

But, if you aren't losing weight over time, it is absolutely the case that you aren't burning more than you're eating.

^^ this!! stop eating back all your workout calories. you are not burning as much as mfp says you are.
  • bratterz_xoxo
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

All very good points. I agree with these!

Also, I am 5'1" and I know that I don't need to be down to 1200 calories to lose weight (I'm working on losing the baby weight from my last pregnancy, that's why I might look like I've yo-yo'd). So I disagree with those who say we shorties need to eat only 1000 calories to lose weight, barring other medical conditions.

Tighten up your logging - weigh foods and make sure the entries are all as accurate as possible. Eat back some of the exercise calories. Stick with it for a month, and see where that puts you.

I'm finally back home so I can reply normally now ahaha yes I totally agree, i'll invest in a scale and try it out and see how that goes, and I'll also stick with it for a month :)

Thank you for all of these points, it has helped me a lot, and understood a lot more that maybe I just eed to stick with it a little longer and invest in some scales! :)
This discussion has been closed.