Supposed to start today..but I'm actually embarrassed

Options

Replies

• MsIndependent316
    MsIndependent316 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2nd walk completed and I'm sore but making a goal in the next month to extend my exercise time and intensity.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just get out & do it! I had started a few years ago riding my bike, was totally embarrassed about my fat butt being on show but soon got over it :) Esp when i started toning up!
  • littlecinnamon
    littlecinnamon Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I felt that way too, until I realised I always mentally cheered on anyone I saw walking/jogging/running/staggering down the road. Now I keep in mind that I may not look like an elite athlete but hey...I'm lapping everyone who stays sitting on the couch !! :)
  • shanek1990
    shanek1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how mortifying it can be but the reality is not what you're seeing. Think about it this way. Tomorrow, those people won't even remember they saw you. Not only that, chances are they were not even paying attention to you in the first place, despite your intense feelings of judgement being cast upon you. It's 100% in your head. Don't let YOUR perception of someone else's thoughts keep you from living and enjoying your life. In the end what bearing do they have on your life anyway? You're working toward something. Remember that. Keep your goal on your mind and move past the negative perceptions.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2nd walk completed and I'm sore but making a goal in the next month to extend my exercise time and intensity.

Woo Hoo! You've got this. I did the same thing, little by little, when I first started and it feels amazing when one day you are doing way more than you thought you could do at first. The first time ran for 20 minutes in a row I actually started crying. I couldn't believe I would ever be a runner.

When we start we think we're the only ones who are at the beginning, but everyone had to start somewhere. For example, here's a cool blog about a woman who couldn't even run enough to teach her son how to ride a bike and now she runs marathons:

http://www.runsforcookies.com/

• adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I see someone working out I only think good things about them. They're working on changing themselves for the better and that's worthy of respect. It doesn't matter what size they are! Be proud of your efforts!

However, if you really really don't like it and it inhibits your workout or stops you from even starting it, then there are plenty of exercises you can do at home. Check out Youtube. Or even just put something good on TV and walk in place, it burns quite a lot of calories if you lose track of time with a good movie/show :wink:
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. And you know what? I still feel that way. I have to fight it every single time I go work out outside of the house, but I do it. The truth is, most people aren't even going to notice you out. If they do, the worst they'll say is, "Hello". Still, I know that anxiety all too well. It does get easier, I promise! Just tell yourself you can make it on a super quick walk to the end of the block and back. Each time, try to go a little farther. You got this. :)
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this was so me a few years ago. Let me tell you; when I started this weight loss journey I was EXACTLY like you. I hated my body (still do sometimes), hated the way I looked, wore 2X when I should have probably gone up to 3X, and made excuses because I was in denial. I knew I was overweight (still am) but was just afraid of everything. Afraid of change, afraid of what others would think, etc.

Find your motivation; for me, it's techno/dubstep music and my trusty fitbit. For you it might be a HR monitor, new shoes, new clothes, whatever. I'm also in nursing school, so that's motivation too. I have to practice what I preach after all. :)

When I started 2 years ago, I was around 275. I'm 202 right now, and I was 195 at my lowest. My goal is in the 120-130 range. You can do this, just make your goals and find what motivates you!
  • alasiL
    alasiL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Trust me don't worry about those people that are walking by, most the time they'll probably comfort you.
    e.g. i'm not the slimmest and i wear a hijab but i still go to the park and jog, squat etc. Yes i feel uncomfortable but people are always supportive. Smile back and just stay positive!! it'll be worth it
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    anyone know a way to get over this feeling? I'm seriously overweight (like 135lbs). All I want to do is get fit and healthy but i don't want people seeing me workout (even walking). I planned on walking at night or early morning but every time I set my clock I get this stupid feeling..any tips?

i started out with about that to lose- i only have 40 pounds left now. It's embarrassing in the beginning but next thing you know, it's not. Just do it, just start walking. Throw on some headphones and you won't even notice the people around you.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. While exercise is good for you for a variety of reasons, it's not necessary for weight loss. Pretty much all of mine was just watching my calories. So if you're putting things off because you're embarrassed to exercise where people can see you, start with just your calories for now. It'll be easier for you to start there with retraining your brain and body with what a proper portion is, and once you start getting that down, it becomes easier overall. Add in exercise later when you've lost some weight and feel more comfortable with yourself. And if anyone comments, smile, nod and be on your way. They don't have the right to judge you, especially since you're working to make yourself healthier. Or, if you're feeling vindictive, have some snarky replies ready to go so if someone does comment, you're not floundering for a smartass remark. XD
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Insecurities suck donkey balls. But, this is not about you anymore. It's ok to have insecurities but here are some reasons to go on in spite of them.

1. You have an obligation to the other 6,999,999,999 people on this planet to be healthy and happy in spite of your insecurities. We deserve your best to make things better just as you deserve our best.

2. We need inspiration. When I started on my journey (80 lbs ago), I was never inspired by the those who had already reached their goals. I celebrated with them when they got there, but I was inspired by the other 300 pound guy who was huffing and wheezing on the treadmill next to me. I NEEDED to see that guy. He will never know how much he inspired me and you'll never know how much you inspire others. Please, go out there so we know we not alone in this.

Edit:
    Counseling helps immensely! The biggest weight loss battle is between the ears.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Just go do it. The more you do it, the better YOU feel and the LESS you CARE about what other people think. I still get that sometimes, then I remember I am doing this for ME and no one else.
  • MsIndependent316
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Insecurities suck donkey balls. But, this is not about you anymore. It's ok to have insecurities but here are some reasons to go on in spite of them.

1. You have an obligation to the other 6,999,999,999 people on this planet to be healthy and happy in spite of your insecurities. We deserve your best to make things better just as you deserve our best.

2. We need inspiration. When I started on my journey (80 lbs ago), I was never inspired by the those who had already reached their goals. I celebrated with them when they got there, but I was inspired by the other 300 pound guy who was huffing and wheezing on the treadmill next to me. I NEEDED to see that guy. He will never know how much he inspired me and you'll never know how much you inspire others. Please, go out there so we know we not alone in this.

Edit:
    Counseling helps immensely! The biggest weight loss battle is between the ears.

I never thought of it like that...thank you! I will focus on that too
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »

Actually, she has an obligation to HERSELF to be healthy and happy, not to other people. In the grand scheme of things, those other billions of people's opinions don't matter. If you're basing your need to lose weight on the fact that you feel obligated to everyone else on the planet, you'll spend the rest of your life doing so and it can be miserable.

OP, take a good, hard, honest look at WHY you're losing weight. You can give all kinds of reasons that others have given or that you think is right, but in the end, it all boils down to why YOU are doing this, not anyone else. And it doesn't have to be 'because I want to be healthy'. I know one girl who's motivation was to have better sex with her partner. For me, it was because I was fat in my wedding photos. You can listen to what other people say was their reason, but unless you internalize your own, you will have a much harder time keeping going.
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Getting outdoors can be fabulous for your mood but the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home program is great for beginnings and is great to have around if the weather is too hot, too rainy, too snowy or too icy. Keep in mind whatever you do that that five minutes of moving is better than zero minutes of moving. Before you know it you will be able to move for 10 minutes, then 15, then 20.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hooray hooray, thanks for posting your walk #2. Report back with #3.
    Remember rest days are important so you don't over tax your body and burn out- baby steps.

Cheers, h.
  • MsIndependent316
    Options
    I went walking again today. Totally didn't want to get up. But I thought about where I would if I didn't get up and if I did. I liked the outcome of getting up to walk, so I did. I don't regret it. I still get embarrassed but when I get that feeling I just changing my thoughts to what I want out of working out and turning my music up a little higher to drown out my thoughts lol
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I still run early in the morning. I started walking early in the morning. less people and more me time.
    also don't forget to measure and log all that goes in your mouth.
    they will go hand in hand with losing weight (calorie deficit) and getting healthy (exercise and "healthy" foods)
  • MsIndependent316
    Options
    7 days straight of walking. Today I did 4 miles in 80min. I even did it during the peak hour of everyone else was out this morning. Most said good morning or a head nod. I feel better about this now. Thank you all for the encouragement and the kick in the butt that I needed. B)