21 day detox of meat

Options
I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is the point of giving up meat?

If it's to become vegetarian or vegan, it is worth it.

If it's to lose weight, it's unnecessary. You can have a caloric deficit while eating from all food groups.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer explain why this would benefit you or what "toxins" meat contains?

I don't think it is realistic to expect something you've been doing for a couple of days to provide immediate results. You can gain weight losing meat or you can lose weight losing meat -- it's a calorie deficit that creates weight loss, not avoiding certain foods.
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say no, just eat with a deficit will let you loose weight. But ofc anyone may do as the wish. Good luck with it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not eating meat doesnt = weight loss.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Did he say why? I don't see how this would be necessary. What sort of exercises do you do with him? Are you taking in adequate protein without the meat in your diet?

Calories are the determining factor for weight loss - NOT the types of food that you eat. I'd get a new trainer.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

I think there is absolutely no value at all in removing meat from your diet and if your trainer called it a detox you should laugh in his face

Hang on its Tuesday ...even if you were calorie counting, which is how you hit a defecit, you wouldn't see a scale weight change in 2 days
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Your trainer sounds like he doesn't have any idea what the heck they're talking about. Cutting meat from your diet wont automatically make you lose weight.

What on earth....
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to totally eliminate meat unless it is for some moral or ethical reason.

As for not losing weight since Saturday - for Pete's sake, give it time. Life and health is a marathon, not a sprint.

You lose weight by consuming less calories than your body burns, it doesn't matter if those calories are from meat or from vegetables.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    No, it's not worth it. At least not to me. Now if you decide to change your diet to vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons or because your doctor recommended it, that's one thing. But detoxing isn't a valid thing as your body detoxes itself all the time. Whether or not you have meat has no bearing on losing weight or getting fit.

Plus, only a couple of days of a changed diet aren't going to make an impact in your weight loss. To lose weight in a healthy way, it's necessarily slow and it's because you've lowered your daily calorie intake. After all, you didn't gain the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it in a week in a way that's healthy or sustainable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

It's been 2 days... And you haven't mentioned whether you're in a calorie deficit?

And no, I don't think it's worth giving up meat for 21 days
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    You expect to see weight loss in 2 days?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    2 days - patience my friend - you need some patience. But meat has nothing to do with weight loss - only a calorie deficit will get you there.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Ditch your trainer.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new trainer.

^^^This.
    Sounds like your trainer has no idea what they're talking about. By all means stop eating meat if it's for a moral/ethical reason, but cutting it out won't make you lose any weight. It's also harder to get enough protein if you cut out meat (though it is possible, obviously).
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Ditch your trainer. What toxins is he concerned about, anyway? Someone told me they don't eat chicken because of the (very low level of) arsenic in the feed, but detoxing from arsenic poisoning involves an IV drip of a chelatory agent--simply giving it up won't do the trick.

If you have a reason for eating meat beyond weight loss, continue by all means.

But given that 100 grams of cooked chicken breast equals 165 calories and 31 grams of protein, it's one of the better foods for weight loss in my opinion. I've prelogged 150 grams of pork chops for tonight--290 calories, 54 grams of protein. You would have to eat a lot of beans and peanut butter to get that amount of protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

I have the soul of a vegan in the body of an omnivore. Sigh. But I digress.

Ask your trainer for some links to what the purpose of this meat detox is.

Has he tried to sell you protein powder?

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Did he also suggest appropriate protein alternatives? NEVERMIND. Just eat meat. He's silly.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Did your trainer call it a "detox" or is that your wording? Did he review what you've been eating with you before suggesting that?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have the soul of a vegan in the body of an omnivore. Sigh. But I digress.

Ask your trainer for some links to what the purpose of this meat detox is.

Has he tried to sell you protein powder?

LOL

What on earth does that mean?