Ketogenic Diet anyone?

Options
Hello everyone

I'm wondering whether anyone is currently on a Ketogenic diet? And if so, in terms of cholesterol, is it normal for it to be very high when looking at the nutrients on the app?

I'm finding that when planning my meals in, the figures are in a minus and to me it looks alarming. But surely with it being such a high fat diet, this is to be expected? (I mean in terms of cholesterol, sodium, and types of fats).

Does the keto diet have any negative effects against cholesterol levels? I don't want to be doing this diet if it is going to have any negative effects such as heart disease, diabetes etc?!

My goals for this diet are as follows:
Carbs: 14g (5%)
Protein 69g (25%)
Fat 86g (70%)

Does this sound reasonable?

I'm 5ft 9, and weigh 11.3stone
Wanting to lose 21lbs

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also please add me as I have no friends on here!

Thanks
Hannah

Replies

• megwa2001
    megwa2001 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If u wish to build body with lot of exercises ketogenic diet

Consult doctor first
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing keto for several months now and dropped around 35 lbs. Keto is supposed to reverse type 2 diabetes, alzheimers and help prevent some cancers, as well as CHD, so no worries there. My cholesterol is elevated on it due to all of the bacon im eating. Only way for me to get the 5000mg sodium recommended without drinking beef/chicken broth everyday. Im not terribly worried about the increase in cholesterol because I will not stay on keto forever, but it has been very effective in weight loss
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Ive been doing keto for several months now and dropped around 35 lbs. Keto is supposed to reverse type 2 diabetes, alzheimers and help prevent some cancers, as well as CHD, so no worries there. My cholesterol is elevated on it due to all of the bacon im eating. Only way for me to get the 5000mg sodium recommended without drinking beef/chicken broth everyday. Im not terribly worried about the increase in cholesterol because I will not stay on keto forever, but it has been very effective in weight loss

I'm aware of some evidence showing that the ketogenic diet can help with mild dementia and there is a case study of an individual with Alzheimer's showing improvement on a ketogenic diet. But I don't think we can yet say with confidence that a ketogenic diet can reverse it. What studies are you referring to?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Care to explain how a specific diet can reverse a disease that is caused by the decreased fiction and death of neurons in the brain? That's absurd. Alzheimers is a chronic, progressively worsening condition.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Care to explain how a specific diet can reverse a disease that is caused by the decreased fiction and death of neurons in the brain? That's absurd. Alzheimers is a chronic, progressively worsening condition.

I just Googled it and the THEORY is that ketones can be used more easily for energy in the brain, reducing the stress on brain cells. However, evidence in support of this theory is very scant. I just found a single case study. It seems waaaaay too early to claim that the ketogenic diet will reverse it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201410/bold-new-experimental-treatment-alzheimers-dementia
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone

I'm wondering whether anyone is currently on a Ketogenic diet? And if so, in terms of cholesterol, is it normal for it to be very high when looking at the nutrients on the app?

I take no notice at all of dietary cholesterol. None. Your body makes way more than you ingest. Switch that column for something more interesting :-)

Macros look good.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Reddit Keto or some-such. You'll find great ideas and support there.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Plug your information into this calculator or others like it you will find on the web to find out where you should be. I would suggest you read as much information as you can on the web. If you are concerned specifically about cholesterol, then read that information. Find stuff on medical sites that will better explain.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone

I'm finding that when planning my meals in, the figures are in a minus and to me it looks alarming. But surely with it being such a high fat diet, this is to be expected? (I mean in terms of cholesterol, sodium, and types of fats).

Does the keto diet have any negative effects against cholesterol levels? I don't want to be doing this diet if it is going to have any negative effects such as heart disease, diabetes etc?!

Dietary cholesterol has zero effect on blood cholesterol. You can eat as much cholesterol as you want, and your cholesterol levels won't be affected. They are taking it off the Nutrition Label. http://www.webmd.com/diet/20150226/food-guidelines-surprises

Also, heart disease and diabetes are not caused by cholesterol or fat, they are caused by inflammation to the artery walls from processed and high carb foods and vegetable oils with a high Omega 6:3 ratio like canola, corn, sunflower, safflower etc, and too many carbs causing insulin resistance. A ketogenic diet is only going to improve your odds on these two.

Btw, I'm on a ketogenic diet, and I love it. Your macro goals sound good in proportion to me, although a little extra protein won't hurt if you are doing any lifting.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Hello everyone

Dietary cholesterol has zero effect on blood cholesterol. You can eat as much cholesterol as you want, and your cholesterol levels won't be affected. They are taking it off the Nutrition Label. http://www.webmd.com/diet/20150226/food-guidelines-surprises

Also, heart disease and diabetes are not caused by cholesterol or fat, they are caused by inflammation to the artery walls from processed and high carb foods and vegetable oils with a high Omega 6:3 ratio like canola, corn, sunflower, safflower etc, and too many carbs causing insulin resistance. A ketogenic diet is only going to improve your odds on these two.

Btw, I'm on a ketogenic diet, and I love it. Your macro goals sound good in proportion to me, although a little extra protein won't hurt if you are doing any lifting.

Uh no. Plaque build up is not inflammation.
  • Hannahlukacs321
    Hannahlukacs321 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies guys! Really helpful, just what I needed! :)
  • socalprincess1
    Options

Yes it is. Just watch, in 10-20 years, carbs and processed foods will be completely vilified.

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease

• janejellyroll
    Options

Yes it is. Just watch, in 10-20 years, carbs and processed foods will be completely vilified.

http://www.sott.net/article/242516-Heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease

Is . . . is that website for real? Am I really supposed to take their health and wellness advice seriously when they think vaccinations are "medical fascism"?
  • elphie754
    Options

Yeah....no. Plaque is an accumulation (build up) of deposits in the arteries that hardens and causes narrowing because of the build up. It is not inflatmation.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

So true, I have done Keto for about 6 months now, I like to cycle my diet frequently, I feel it is easy to stick with once you adjust to it, and where all those hidden carbs are. I personally only track my macros, and fiber, nothing else. I used to pay very close attention to all of the nutrient categories, but I do not worry about it now, I know I eat very clean and healthy, so there is no reason to fret over it.
    It is great advice to exercise while on keto to retain lean muscle mass, and you should keep an eye on sodium and potassium levels, as keto directly effect them. Since you are trying to suppress insulin and insulin tell the kidneys to retain sodium, you have to ensure you are getting enough, this to effects potassium . There is more to it than that though.
    Personally, my cholesterol levels came down, not much but I was at 199 for total and now I am at 180.
    Gather opinions, do your homework, and you'll do fine. I like to use www.dietdoctor.com and bodybuilding.com as resources and well as the National Institute of health.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

If you're not going to be doing keto forever, then what are your plans for maintenance?
  • socalprincess1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Even though they aren't quite there yet, even the American Heart Association is coming around to it...

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Inflammation-and-Heart-Disease_UCM_432150_Article.jsp
  • elphie754
    Options

Is . . . is that website for real? Am I really supposed to take their health and wellness advice seriously when they think vaccinations are "medical fascism"?

My god, I posted the first link I saw on google of an article I well know that explains it in layman's terms, which was originally published elsewhere. It this better for you pumpkin?

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/20/6/1536.fullp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16470012

There are plenty of other qualified medical professionals who've spoken out on this. I'm just trying to share the information. But it's fine if you want to turn a blind eye, go ahead.. and enjoy your statins.

No need for the name calling.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

MFP keto discussion group.

Macros look good as a starting point. You can adjust up or down later, once you've been on the plan for a while, and have a tester.

Anything sub 50g/day is typically considered a Keto plan, and works for most ppl.

• janejellyroll
    Options

My god, I posted the first link I saw on google of an article I well know that explains it in layman's terms, which was originally published elsewhere. It this better for you pumpkin?

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/20/6/1536.fullp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16470012

There are plenty of other qualified medical professionals who've spoken out on this. I'm just trying to share the information. But it's fine if you want to turn a blind eye, go ahead.. and enjoy your statins.

I'm in great health, "pumpkin" -- I'm not sure why you would assume you know anything about my health or how I eat based on my reaction to that website and their articles about vaccinations, 9/11, and JFK.