Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I'm sorry to be so down. Yesterday, I just said f* it and had a frozen yogurt at a roadside stand and cut way back on dinner, but the years of an existence of measuring minutely every morsel of food put into my mouth so I can maintain weight or lose are beginning to stretch before me. I guess I'm struggling with the aging process and anger at my body for betraying me both for not performing as it used to and for being injured.

On the other hand, eating froyo because you're depressed and can't reach a goal is what obese people do, and if I keep that up, or don't follow the advice I'm given, I probably will look like that woman in the video. And perhaps mentally and emotionally, I am already that woman, which is not a very edifying thought.

Regarding the thyroid, my doc did one test, but I have a friend who has similar issues who has recommended that there are other tests I could get. She was testing normal for a long time but with similar symptoms, although she was more fatigued than I am. She wouldn't have been able to get through a workout. But she was normal weight and her doctor wouldn't listen to her because he said that people with thyroid issues are either really heavy or excessively thin; however, it did turn out she had a problem ultimately.

In 2000 I was a fully operational operator (operating operationally!). Had a total thyroidectomy in May of 2000. I had a good deal of fatigue until put on Synthroid and worked out the proper dosage, but once I started logging and exercising I lost >50 lbs.

When you get a thyroid panel done, the technician can easily conduct all the tests from one sample (TSH, TT4, FT4, TT3, FT3, RT3), but only reports what the doc ordered. Make sure you get all of these and keep your own records.

Note that if you are overweight this makes the issue of hormone balance all the more complicated as you won't be able to manage this until you lose the weight - it's a terminal cascade.

Even if you are hypothyroid the basic elements of CICO apply - either you are eating too much or moving too little.

As my pappy told me - "Don't get old"
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This isn't necessarily relevant to the OP, per se, but just a general note on getting thyroids tested:

I'd also get the thyroid antibodies checked even if the TSH/T3/T4 is normal if you can, if there are sufficient symptoms (If you can). Also make sure you're testing free T3/T4 and not just total.

I had Graves several years ago (which included a fun-but-not-really thyroid storm experience) and it just sort of spontaneously resolved without having to do the radioactive iodine ablation (thank goodness) and I've had within normal levels of everything ever since, even though I started having all the hypo symptoms in recent years. Only recently, a new doc checked my antibodies as well as the usual panel. Turns out I now have all of the Hashi antibodies rather (or as well as. I don't remember if the TSI abs were still there) than the antibodies associated with Graves. Something like 15-20% of people convert from one to the other over time.

So now I'm on synthroid even with euthyroid levels to try to decrease the antibody count. Which may prevent further autoimmune fallout. Finding and treating Hashi's even when your levels are normal seems to have a benefit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16006728
    http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/research/Hashimotos_disease.html
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    For a long time I had a very low core body temp (96.5 was a normal temp for me), and I always tested fine for thyroid. I went to a naturopath that put me on adrenal support vitamins and told me to stop stressing about every morsel of food I ate (because I was definitely doing that) as it was putting more stress on my body. I started a progressive lifting program (stronglifts 5x5) to build muscle to increase my metabolism as well. I focused on whole foods, lots of veggies, proteins (usually chicken but I just eat whatever protein I feel like that day), fruits, no sauces, and I use lots of spices. I go through periods of lower carb (to cut) and moderate carb intake (to maintain) and it seems to work for me. My body temps now hover around 98.4-98.8. Oh, and try to use natural thermogenics like cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Any of these things may help you too. Ultimately I still have to be conscientious about what I'm eating or I'll pack on weight no problem...I'll never be the girl who can eat a pile of food and stay thin, I wasn't built that way...and it sounds like neither were you. It sucks, but such is life.

Oh, and I read earlier that you hurt your shoulder so you can't bear much weight on it...I would recommend getting a personal trainer to help develop a program to strengthen the shoulder and build muscles without making your shoulder worse. Leg days are always good to keep stress off the shoulder. :smile:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, Rosebette! I'm 5'2.5" inches, with a medium frame, and 66 years old in 2 months. I also wear a Fitbit Charge HR. I have MFP set for 1200 calories. I exercise 4Xs per week with Body Pump (weight lifting) classes and some low impact cardio. I'm on Synthroid medication for a misbehaving thyroid and have been for several years. I never eat 1200 calories a day.

I find my Fitbit gives me fairly accurate information; between 1750ish to over 2,000ish calories to eat on the days I exercise and around 1375ish to 1550ish on "rest" days depending upon how many steps I get in; not usually more than a bit over 10,000. I had my macros set for 35% protein, 35% healthy fats, and 30% carbs until last month when I changed them to 35% protein, 30% healthy fats, and 35% carbs because I was feeling tired after working out. Now on exercise days I have a bit more carbs before exercising and that's helped with my energy levels.

I've been at a healthy BMI and weight since February, 2015 but still want to drop a few more pounds (4-6) if possible. The thing is it may not be possible. With so little to lose, it may be that I'm very close to an ideal weight for my age, height, and frame size. I fluctuate a couple of pounds but usually stay at around 129 now, after losing less than a pound last month. I'm still eating at a deficit, weighing and measuring in grams using a food scale. The margin for error is very, very small.

It may be that it's not that your metabolism is low it's just that for your age, height, and frame size you're where your body needs to be. I would love to be at 120lbs, but that's never gonna happen for me. You should not have MFP set for only 1,000 calories, that's too low. When I put your stats into Scooby's calorie calculator your maintenance, with moderate exercise, is approximately 1,781 calories.

Check Scooby for the amount of maintenance calories you should be eating. It's a good place to start: scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. Your TDEE should be higher than 1300 which, I know, is what you're questioning.

It sounds like you're doing the best you can and baring any medical conditions you're at a healthy BMI and weight. Tighten up your logging, as others have said, and enjoy your success; you're far from being a failure!
  • susanofarrell
    susanofarrell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You sound like you know your body well. Congrats on your awareness and focus! A few thoughts....

I'd suggest finding an endocrinologist who is highly regarded (checking on-line ratings). Show up with a printed food journal from MFP and your written exercise log for 2 or 3 weeks and they will take you much more seriously.

My Doc recommended I read an old article from The New York Times called "The Fat Trap" that helped me make better sense of why calories in / calories out doesn't alwasy work well like we are taught.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

Have you checked your carb intake? I must keep ridiculously low on carbs (75 grams or less) to lose weight. Do-able - but it takes me effort!

I'm also trying Whole30 for 30 days. Tough - but my old way wasn't working, and my endocrinologist suggested it. Ok so far (but yes, I miss milk in my coffee).

Finally, don't be afraid to ask for an Rx to help. Topamax (FDA approved) is a huge benefit to me enabling me to lower my daily calories easily by 300+ calories (from 1300 to 1000).

Good luck!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You sound like you know your body well. Congrats on your awareness and focus! A few thoughts....

I'd suggest finding an endocrinologist who is highly regarded (checking on-line ratings). Show up with a printed food journal from MFP and your written exercise log for 2 or 3 weeks and they will take you much more seriously.

My Doc recommended I read an old article from The New York Times called "The Fat Trap" that helped me make better sense of why calories in / calories out doesn't alwasy work well like we are taught.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

Have you checked your carb intake? I must keep ridiculously low on carbs (75 grams or less) to lose weight. Do-able - but it takes me effort!

I'm also trying Whole30 for 30 days. Tough - but my old way wasn't working, and my endocrinologist suggested it. Ok so far (but yes, I miss milk in my coffee).

Finally, don't be afraid to ask for an Rx to help. Topamax (FDA approved) is a huge benefit to me enabling me to lower my daily calories easily by 300+ calories (from 1300 to 1000).

Good luck!

Topamax is not a medication intended to be used for weight loss. It's for seizure control and migraine headache control. It has a side effect of weight loss for some people, and it's dangerous to be advising anyone to ask for a prescription medication with the intention of using it for weight loss when that is not what it's for. Taking a medication like Topamax can be dangerous if it isn't indicated for you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I went to a meeting and the grocery store and come back and so many helpful and interesting posts. So, regarding the thyroid test, I had only the TSH done. I must admit I don't have the extreme fatigue folks speak of. I do feel tired sometimes, but as I said earlier, I don't get enough sleep, another discipline I need to work on. The extreme cold sensitivity and low body temperature, as well as brittle nails are what I'm more concerned about.

For the person who said something about getting a personal trainer for my shoulder injury, I did 3 months of physical therapy, so she gave me lots of exercises. Some of these are in the over 50 exercise class, which is why I've been going. I was also working with a personal trainer at the university gym before the PT. In fact, she "diagnosed" my injury because I was having so much pain it was sacrificing my form. She gave me a lot of alternative exercises for my shoulder, but at this point, I'm still not ready for them. Today I managed my over 50 class on 2 Aleves. Right now, university is in summer session; I'm still teaching, but their gym is not fully staffed. In fall, I plan on taking up with the same trainers; they are both women in master's programs for exercise physiology and really good.

I'm not inclined to follow advice to eat more, considering the consensus here is that my tracking is very poor and I need to tighten things up. I may need to eat only 1000 calories, or at least assume 1000 because I log so badly.

Regarding feeling hungry in the morning, I don't mean after breakfast. I mean before I eat breakfast, I'm often so hungry I feel light-headed until I eat first thing. Like a few folks who have posted, I also often go to bed hungry because after I've reached my calorie limit for the day, the kitchen is closed.

As far as a medication, I doubt if a physician would prescribe me a medication to help me get by on lower calories since I am at normal weight. Many years ago when I was slightly overweight (around 140 lbs.), a doctor did recommend something, but I decided to lose on my own. I even questioned why a doctor would prescribe medicine for an otherwise healthy woman who was only moderately overweight.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Good luck!

Topamax is not a medication intended to be used for weight loss. It's for seizure control and migraine headache control. It has a side effect of weight loss for some people, and it's dangerous to be advising anyone to ask for a prescription medication with the intention of using it for weight loss when that is not what it's for. Taking a medication like Topamax can be dangerous if it isn't indicated for you.

It has a really nasty habit of making the person taking it as dumb as a box of rocks, too. Like can't spit out your own name dumb. (My own experience with it.)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    @rosebette why dont you get a test done (VO2 max) ?
    Than you know pretty accurate what you calorie burn is.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

When you get a thyroid panel done, the technician can easily conduct all the tests from one sample (TSH, TT4, FT4, TT3, FT3, RT3), but only reports what the doc ordered. Make sure you get all of these and keep your own records.

While the technician *can* easily conduct all the tests from one sample, running assays and handing out results for unordered tests violates nearly every single hospital's or laboratory's policy. Unless you are said technician or otherwise have access to an immunoanalyzer, you will probably have to persuade your doctor to order the full panel for you.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I guess I'm struggling with the aging process and anger at my body for betraying me both for not performing as it used to and for being injured.

Regarding the thyroid, my doc did one test, but I have a friend who has similar issues who has recommended that there are other tests I could get.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid and Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

MFP has a menopause group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
    Yes, you are right. If I do have some type of metabolic disorder, I will have to accept lifestyle adjustments, just like someone who is diabetic. Thank you for the resource.
    Even if you have a low metabolism, you still have an issue to deal with. Yes, get it checked out. I assume you're having checkups or at the doctor often enough that he'd have caught something. If not, get a check-up.

But low metabolism or no low metabolism, you still have the same set of calories in and out to deal with.

You might consider weighing your food. Like the bacon. Slap it on a scale and see what it weighs. It may weigh more than the package or MFP shows for calories. It may not. I know my hot dogs always out weighing exactly, to the gram, what they say they'll weigh. I don't eat bacon and don't know about that. But if you begin weighing, you will know. And I can tell you (as will most people on MFP) that when you start weighing, you find out that the packages cannot be trusted. What they say a serving weighs isn't what a serving usually weighs. Lots of stuff ends up having more calories than you'd have thought.

You get a better estimate on calories when you weigh. But, it is a pain in the patootie and feels too obsessive for some people. If that's the case, then just drop your calories by 100 every two weeks until you see the scale go down. That works, too. Even if your estimates say you're eating 1100 and you're really eating, say 1375, who cares. Weight loss is the goal and weight loss is accomplished.

I don't think you're a whiner or a failure! This weight-losing stuff isn't easy!! I have had a heck of a time. I could write an essay.

But it's doable!

I will not claim that you can't have a slow metabolism or that you're stupid or whatever. No way, Jose. You could have a slow metabolism. It really does slow as we age!

You're just trying and having trouble. Lots of us have been there.

Hang in there. Keep trying new things. Don't quit. You'll get there if you keep trying. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Op, just in case you missed it regarding your nails, try to eat more fats. Fats regulate hormones to include the absorption of nutrients which affect nails, hair and skin.

And dont stress the temp thing. My wife is naturally low (in the 97s). Its more genetics than anything.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

While the technician *can* easily conduct all the tests from one sample, running assays and handing out results for unordered tests violates nearly every single hospital's or laboratory's policy. Unless you are said technician or otherwise have access to an immunoanalyzer, you will probably have to persuade your doctor to order the full panel for you.

With the device driven assays on the market, most of these results are run with one sample with a full panel output, unless the lab is still using kits. Not suggesting that anyone surpasses their physician, but simply requesting this of your HCP.
  • mccindy72
    Options

With the device driven assays on the market, most of these results are run with one sample with a full panel output, unless the lab is still using kits. Not suggesting that anyone surpasses their physician, but simply requesting this of your HCP.

Perhaps stop derailing the thread with your nonstop talk of thyroid tests, since OP has said her has been tested and her mind is at ease on that front, hmmm?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Perhaps stop derailing the thread with your nonstop talk of thyroid tests, since OP has said her has been tested and her mind is at ease on that front, hmmm?

Not entirely, if you've been following this thread. I had only the basic test done, the TSH, not the others.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Perhaps stop derailing the thread with your nonstop talk of derailing the thread, since OP has demonstrated the capacity to weed out what matters to her, hmmm?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    rosebette i ask again
    Why dont you do a VO2 max test?
    They are not expensive and you know pretty accurate what you really burn.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Not entirely, if you've been following this thread. I had only the basic test done, the TSH, not the others.

I've been following the entire thread. This is one of the few posts I've actually seen you respond to, finally. You hadn't answered a lot of questions, previously, so I'd wondered if you were reading the thread.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Although TSH can sometimes pick up a problem, it cannot exclude one. If you think you have a problem, ask the doctor to do the thyroid panel. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    rosebette i ask again
    Why dont you do a VO2 max test?
    They are not expensive and you know pretty accurate what you really burn.

Because this is MFP. People here don't have simple problems, they only have problems that take years of medical sleuthing to figure out. Entire textbooks are written about the problems that only afflict MFPers, one at a time, and never the same way twice.