If I don't eat a big breakfast

Options
2»

Replies

• AuntieAnon
    AuntieAnon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating heavily when I wake up, so I have a sandwich and a few hours later, a small second breakfast - usually some form of fruit. If I don't have that, I want to go overboard with lunch as well. Drinking water after eating usually helps to calm down, as well as chewing gum.

As stated by just about everyone in this thread so far: everyone's different, so don't worry - enjoy it!
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    300 - 400 sounds like a small breakfast. I'd consider less than that a small snack not a meal - no wonder it doesn't keep you full.

The point is 3-400 Cals does fill me. 200 doesn't.

The days I had baguettes/cereal&&toast I was fine, not hungry :)
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm really hungry by lunch and my 400cal lunch doesn't fill me so I end up wanting a bigger/less healthy snack and usually go over my calories.

If I I have a 3-400 cal breakfast I top up at lunch and stay fuller.

Is this a thing? Is it all in my head? Who knows!

I find Im the opposite. If I have no breakfast (as is usual for me) Im fine through to lunch, but if I do eat breakfast Im starving by mid morning and looking to snack already!

Everyone is different. So long as over the course of the day (or week) you are on point for your calories it will make no difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So eat a big breakfast....?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is pretty low - so you can afford to be over on those calories...stats to confirm?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me it totally depends on my hormones. Some days a 200 calorie breakfast will be fine for 5 hours, some days I'll eat the same thing and be starving an hour later.

And yeah, we're all different... cereal and toast would guarantee that I'd be starving an hour later either way.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Im definitely the same! But I find that waiting a couple hours before breakfast - after drinking water, getting ready, etc - I feel full longer. I tend to eat between 280-400 cal in the am. It varies! I'm more full up by toast & tea or Greek yogurt, fruit, & hemp hearts than I am by my 400+ cal omelette & toast & coffee yesterday. *shrugs*
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Is this a thing?". If a big breakfast works for you, then eat a big breakfast. It seems like it's the "thing" for you.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's "a thing". :) Everyone is different. Some like a little breakfast, some a big breakfast, some no breakfast, some dinner foods for breakfast and breakfast foods for dinner.

What is good is your figuring out what is right for you, what works. If you need a 300-400 calorie first meal to not overindulge at lunch and the rest of the day then that is what your body needs. It's better to do what your body needs than fight against it trying to fit into someone else's normal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    +1
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If that is what helps you then roll with it! The spacing and calorie content of meals doesn't really matter as long as you stay within your goals. I personally eat 5 meals a day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack. I spread them out fairly evenly and save a good chunk for dinner after my workout because that is what works for me in that I don't let myself get too hungry. You may want to try that kind of disbursement, if you should want to, it may work for you as well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    YEP big breakfasts keep us fuller for longer....but 500 cals is more like it for a big breakfast :smiley: but then I also eat 500 for lunch...and at least 800 for dinner... plus other snacks of course..... :smiley:
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options

I do. It was a general point rather then a question. Was more wondering if there was science behind it or just personal preference.
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options
    1200 cals is pretty low - so you can afford to be over on those calories...stats to confirm?

Female
    5'1
    145.5lb
    No exercise due to injury atm
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you're body is telling you that it needs fuel, and you're eating healthy foods, what is wrong with that? Eat !
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Female
    5'1
    145.5lb

From Scooby's - a 25% calorie reduction would be giving you 1304 cals, and that's aggressive. 20% reduction would give you 1391. So feel free to have a snack between breakfast and lunch :) as long as you weigh it of course
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I do. It was a general point rather then a question. Was more wondering if there was science behind it or just personal preference.

personal preference. I have 250-300 cal breakfast and lunch and 700-1000 calories for my evening meal.
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options

Female
    5'1
    145.5lb

From Scooby's - a 25% calorie reduction would be giving you 1304 cals, and that's aggressive. 20% reduction would give you 1391. So feel free to have a snack between breakfast and lunch :) as long as you weigh it of course

That makes me feel a wee bit better about going slightly over my goal recently!

Hoping to start exercising again tomorrow if I get the all clear from the doctor.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Research shows that people who eat breakfast are more successful at maintaining a weight loss.

In my own experience, eating a substantial breakfast sets me up to eat sanely the rest of the day.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i would love a cooked breakfast each morning but i never have time, ive tried allsorts but the most thing thats kept me fuller for longer is a quest bar - packed of protein. that and fruit keep me going untill lunch time,