Options

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    5050110 wrote: »
    No... it's really not.

So you wouldn't trust Mark Rippetoe if he was giving you an explanation on olympic lifts?

Stop being so ignorant.
    I'm not talking about Mark Rippetoe. I'm talking about fat trainers who are fat trainers and nothing more. I'm saying I'm not going to trust someone who clearly fails at knowing to employ what he/she knows about diet and nutrition.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Martin Luther King

You are judging someone based on their weight, even though you know nothing about them other than their weight.

The trainer you so harshly and shallowly judge could have medical problems, which are none of your business. And you and many others here, would throw a person away, who could very well be the best trainer for you, just because the person is overweight.

Logical fallacy. Look it up. Your thinking is based on it.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    What about doctors and nurses then? Do they have to be in shape to give you advice?

If their advice is correct it shouldn't matter what they look like, just because they don't follow the advice themselves doesn't mean the advice is of any better or poorer quality.

The only change is that you perceive them to be stupid because they are fatter than your acceptable standard.

atypicalsmith - you would change gym? Why on Earth? Just choose a different trainer or ignore it. Jeez, some people.

I agree completely. I pay professionals for what they know, not how they choose to live their lives.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No... it's really not.

So you wouldn't trust Mark Rippetoe if he was giving you an explanation on olympic lifts?

Stop being so ignorant.

I'm not talking about Mark Rippetoe. I'm talking about fat trainers who are fat trainers and nothing more. I'm saying I'm not going to trust someone who clearly fails at knowing to employ what he/she knows about diet and nutrition.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Martin Luther King

You are judging someone based on their weight, even though you know nothing about them of than their weight.

The trainer you so harshly and shallowly judge could have medical problems, which are none of your business. And you and many others here, would throw a person away, who could very well be the best trainer for you, just because the person is overweight.

Logical fallacy. Look it up. Your thinking is based on it. [/quote]

Disagree and its perfectly logical that someone might take a persons weight into account. People make choices based on how other people look, thats just reality. If a person is thinking of hiring a PT then its easier to choose someone who has the displine to get the sort of body you might aspire to. The fat trainer could indeed have medical problems, but trainers are many and its a persons choice who they pick.

The trainer could indeed be the best trainer in the world, but they then wouldnt be applying their own knowledge to help themselves which raises a big question as to why not. People tend to make easy decisions which suit them rather than ask about medical history. thats just the way life works. just as you say they could be the best trainer, they could also be the worst and very much a do as I say and not as I do sort of person. You go on the information you choose to be relevant its not a guarantee you will make the correct choice, but in this instance it seems perfectly rational why you pick someone in shape.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You guys realize that calling judgmental people judgmental is passing judgement.

Oh crud I just passed judgement. ...and I passed judgement on myself.

...and again.

*kitten*! Oh how do I get out of this vicious cycle?

I am fascinated by people who claim to be able to shut off their cognitive functions, and in a display of amazing physiological political correctness, have convinced their brains to stop processing information and arriving at conclusions...another word for that is "judging". I mean, they train their synapses to quit firing in harsh ways and be more laid back and happy-go-lucky? Gnarly!
  • MoiAussi93
    edited August 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    No... it's really not.

Stop being so ignorant.

You are judging someone based on their weight, even though you know nothing about them of than their weight.

Disagree and its perfectly logical that someone might take a persons weight into account. People make choices based on how other people look, thats just reality. If a person is thinking of hiring a PT then its easier to choose someone who has the displine to get the sort of body you might aspire to. The fat trainer could indeed have medical problems, but trainers are many and its a persons choice who they pick.

The trainer could indeed be the best trainer in the world, but they then wouldnt be applying their own knowledge to help themselves which raises a big question as to why not. People tend to make easy decisions which suit them rather than ask about medical history. thats just the way life works. just as you say they could be the best trainer, they could also be the worst and very much a do as I say and not as I do sort of person. You go on the information you choose to be relevant its not a guarantee you will make the correct choice, but in this instance it seems perfectly rational why you pick someone in shape.

A trainer having discipline does absolutely nothing to help you get the body you want. You are the one who needs the discipline. A trainer's knowledge, regardless of whether they apply it in their own life, CAN help you get the body you want...if you are disciplined enough to apply it.

If my doctor smokes and tells me it is bad for me, I don't dismiss his advice because he doesn't apply it to himself. That would be silly.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The spin instructor at my old gym is quite overweight but she teaches the hardest spin class. After she teaches her classes she usually goes to the kickboxing, TRX, and yoga classes and gives it her all. On weekends she runs a lot of warrior dash type obstacle races. She is probably the most active person I know and her classes helped my friend lose 150 lbs. I don't know why she is overweight. For all I know her goal isn't even to lose weight. Maybe she's happy with her body as it is. I do know that if you skip her class in favor of taking the slimmer, fit looking instructor's class you will get a subpar workout.

I think a lot of time people assume overweight people have goals of losing weight especially if they enjoy exercising but sometimes I think people just like to exercise and don't really have physique goals. I exercise because I have inflammatory arthritis and I want to keep my joints moving and I want to strengthen the muscle that support my bad joints. If I end up losing weight or looking slimmer great...if not that's ok too!
  • 999tigger
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

A trainer having discipline does absolutely nothing to help you get the body you want. You are the one who needs the discipline. A trainer's knowledge, regardless of whether they apply it in their own life, CAN help you get the body you want...if you are disciplined enough to apply it.

If my doctor smokes and tells me it is bad for me, I don't dismiss his advice because he doesn't apply it to himself. That would be silly.

We have already covered that. A trainer who is the living proof that they are capable of getting into good shape. They could ofc be a poor trainer as well as dipsense poor advice, but all things being equal then people make snap decisions. People pay more attention to those who practice what they preach. People make snap decisions so the fat trainer who in fact has better knowledge may never get a chance, but thats life.

Its not a question of being right or wrong its what happens and seems perfectly logical to me.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sooooo, if one of you skinny MFP members who lost tons of weight suddenly one day stop working out, eating healthy,and you gain back most of your weight; are you now unqualified to give diet advice?
    I'm confused to be honest. I know many people who are/used to be all into fitness but something on their life derailed them. But that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing.
    Part of what I expect from any health and fitness adviser, trainer or counselor is that connection between knowledge and results.
    I want to hire a personal trainer who is experienced and well-informed but who can also put his principles into practice. I find trainers with good fitness results as inspiring as I might find a financial planner who is self-made and wealthy.
    I respect more those who practice what they preach.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People act like their opinions/theories matter or are the end all be all.

Listen, if I own a gym and I employ 'fat' trainers and my business is booming, who cares what you think. Likewise, if my gym-business is sinking, then that's on me to employ better "marketing material". Regardless, live and let live people. If you don't like my 'fat' trainers: BYE FELICIA.

My take on the matter: I was raised not to judge a book by the cover. Just because you're thin, doesn't mean you're fit. Just because you have your little biceps poking out and think you can lift, doesn't make you an expert. It's not rocket science. Any one can read, research, study, EXPERIENCE and acquire the knowledge to lose weight, lift weights and build a phenomenal body. So what if those people don't want to execute those skills/knowledge for whatever reason all of which is none of our business.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

We have already covered that. A trainer who is the living proof that they are capable of getting into good shape. They could ofc be a poor trainer as well as dipsense poor advice, but all things being equal then people make snap decisions. People pay more attention to those who practice what they preach. People make snap decisions so the fat trainer who in fact has better knowledge may never get a chance, but thats life.

Its not a question of being right or wrong its what happens and seems perfectly logical to me.

I've avoid making snap decisions that required me to commit a large amount of money over a period of time. That's a recipe to be unhappy later. The few times I have hired trainers I have asked around to get reviews from people who used them when possible and always got a free introductory session during which I evaluated what the trainer had me do, what they told me, and whether I thought they were actually giving me tailored advice to reach my stated goals.

I have never chosen based on appearance. Perhaps if forced to pick a trainer on the spot with a gun held to my head, I would pick the one who looked the closest to my goal body...but since that has never happened I do some research and pick based on ability instead of appearance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope I agree

Gym staff as in the ones who staff the actual gym and prepare programmes and train others in how to use the equipment should be in shape, particularly if they have to dress in stupid slogan bearing t-shirts

Other people who staff gyms, whose jobs are not specific to training others, it doesn't matter ...receptionists, lifeguards, food, managers etc

I'm with you. The biggest challenge in succeeding at long term weight management/fitness is adherence - if the person "teaching" me can't adhere themselves, I'm moving on to someone who can.

That doesn't mean there might not be some out of shape trainers who are effective - it means I'm not interesting in trying them out to find out, unless there is a very compelling reason to.
  • 999tigger
    Options

I've avoid making snap decisions that required me to commit a large amount of money over a period of time. That's a recipe to be unhappy later. The few times I have hired trainers I have asked around to get reviews from people who used them when possible and always got a free introductory session during which I evaluated what the trainer had me do, what they told me, and whether I thought they were actually giving me tailored advice to reach my stated goals.

I have never chosen based on appearance. Perhaps if forced to pick a trainer on the spot with a gun held to my head, I would pick the one who looked the closest to my goal body...but since that has never happened I do some research and pick based on ability instead of appearance.

People do make decisions like that though, its just how people are. It doesnt mean they are correct, but I understand why they do. The fat trainer could have a lot going for them such as great knowledge and personality, but all things being equal a trainer who is in shape has an advantage.

I cant see why thats remotely controversial. You are reading too much into things.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No... it's really not.

Stop being so ignorant.

No! it isn't rational. It's not logical. It's not based on anything that makes any sense at all.

Yes, people can choose whoever they want. If they think a guy with big muscles is smarter than a guy without them, they can and should choose the muscular guy.

It isn't smart and it isn't what "people" do. It's what some people do. Not all people.

I'd even guess that most people wouldn't do that. Most people would want the person who is smartest to instruct them, not the person who has the biggest muscles. I hope most people would, anyway.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    noelitall wrote: »
    It's like when a member/poster who is 19 with a profile picture of a rapper throwing a sign and answers threads with a know it all snarky attitude, I ignore his knowledge/advice
    So ya, wouldn't take the gym staff seriously with their advice

Judging a poster's advice by their profile picture seems really silly and I'm unsure why you felt the need to turn the discussion into an attack on another poster anyway . . .

I'm pretty sure someone can like rap and also have solid knowledge to offer on fitness/weight loss.

Im sure it happens though. people are constantly making decisions and those are influenced by the available information. A rpofile pic might be one of many that a particular person might pay attention to. Just a fact.

Acknowledging that people do use profile pictures to evaluate advice is completely different from validating that as wise practice though.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

People do make decisions like that though, its just how people are. It doesnt mean they are correct, but I understand why they do. The fat trainer could have a lot going for them such as great knowledge and personality, but all things being equal a trainer who is in shape has an advantage.

I cant see why thats remotely controversial. You are reading too much into things.

SOME people make decisions like that, but many don't. It's really not logical. You are hiring someone to give you advice...what they know seems to be the only thing that is really relevant if you're being logical about it. If you're not being logical...well, then I hope you are at least lucky and get a good one despite your lack of research.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited August 2015
    Options
    In the absence of other information, choosing a fitness expert based on their fitness level is completely logical.

As a consumer, it's not my job to dig under the surface and educate myself about a company's offerings - it's a company's obligation to make that information clear to me.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Better get rid of all the male OB/GYNs since they are obviously "unqualified" for pregnancy and birthing advice.

I notice that no one has a rebuttal, for the best comment here!

No, not by a long stretch. Maybe when you can become an OBGYN with three weeks of night classes.
    So education is the problem, not how a PT looks in relation to their skills. Doesn't seem to be what everyone else is arguing about.

And I don't argue it either in my own post upthread. But it's a bad comparison. A male doctor spends years studying things he cannot directly relate to--but so do female doctors, when you consider pathology and possibly childbirth. He is tested on this knowledge and undergoes quite a lot of training before he ever gets a chance to practice medicine.

Personal trainers have very little required formal education. They're their own clients, as I see it. I'm not hiring an out-of-shape one.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Personal trainers have very little required formal education. They're their own clients, as I see it. I'm not hiring an out-of-shape one.

And there isn't a thing wrong with that decision.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    In the absence of other information, choosing a fitness expert based on their fitness level is completely logical.

As a consumer, it's not my job to dig under the surface and educate myself about a company's offerings - it's a company's obligation to make that information clear to me.

If you are the consumer looking to hire a trainer, you should do your own research, in my opinion. You should have a proactive interest in your money and your health with the company involved.

If one is not willing to educate him or herself before making an important decision, then the consumer is opening him or herself up to disappointment at best, or worse, personal injury.

It is no different buying a house. If a consumer is wise, he or she does not go by the word of the agent who says there are no problems with the house before purchase. The consumer gets an inspection done. The consumer gets a title deed search done. The consumer checks the license of the agent involved.