Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Everyone's bentos are gorgeous as usual!

Today's breakfast & lunch:

Egg on a bed of spinach, Greek yogurt experiment (peanut butter + sugar free instant jello pudding mix... we'll see how this one goes), blueberries, apple (322 cal)

Green snap peas and hummus in the frog, mini quiche, mini caprese salad, laughing cow cheese, wheat thins (420 cal)

Having trouble fitting 40-50 grams of protein in my bento breakfast/lunch. Any tips? I have been trying out Greek yogurt with different protein-y things inside, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't eat huge amounts of meat either... vegetarian for 7 years and recently reintroducing animal protein into my diet each day.

eslzf3lqmydc.jpg
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i bought the cookie shaped lunchbox recently.. finally, i can use it! ive got ice cream shaped lunchbox set too.. with diff ice cream flavor as the lid.. :D

Here's today's bento..
    Lunch: spiced honey grilled chicken, cabbage & mushroom stir fry, basmati rice, and mango.
    Snacks: oat crunch biscuit, matcha pocky, almonds, raisins
    zkt3l09erzz9.jpg
    yvfl3aurdo1z.jpg
    w0hjlskw55dv.jpg

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    madiao wrote: »
    Drooooool! Made home made tonkotsu tonight.. Really just wanted to share with someone cause it was amazing!

tgt1u8j7rnf6.jpg

Yum yum yum yum :smiley:

Any chance you'd be willing to share the recipe for your tonkotsu? It looks amazing!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    piheart wrote: »

Egg on a bed of spinach, Greek yogurt experiment (peanut butter + sugar free instant jello pudding mix... we'll see how this one goes), blueberries, apple (322 cal)

Green snap peas and hummus in the frog, mini quiche, mini caprese salad, laughing cow cheese, wheat thins (420 cal)

Having trouble fitting 40-50 grams of protein in my bento breakfast/lunch. Any tips? I have been trying out Greek yogurt with different protein-y things inside, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I can't eat huge amounts of meat either... vegetarian for 7 years and recently reintroducing animal protein into my diet each day.

eslzf3lqmydc.jpg

I don't think you'd have to switch to eating meat, but I love chicken breast & egg for the protein. If you're still mostly veggie, beans are the way to go. From here:
    Highest Source
    The beans with the highest amount of protein -- and which offer complete protein -- are soybeans. Cooked soybeans have 28.62 grams and edamame have 22.23 grams of protein in a 1-cup serving, which is about equal to the protein you'll get from a 3-ounce serving of meat. Soybeans are different from other beans because they have substances called isoflavones that act like estrogen and may help prevent some types of cancer. They also have 15.43 grams of total fat in 1 cup, which is significantly higher than other types of beans. A large percentage of the total fat consists of unsaturated fats that lower cholesterol, as well as omega-3 fatty acids that fight inflammation.
    Good Sources
    You may see the protein content of beans reported as one generic value because all beans other than soybeans have about the same amount. You can choose any bean you prefer and get at least 20 percent of your daily protein in a 1-cup serving. The average amount of protein in eight different beans -- white, adzuki, pinto, kidney, black, navy, garbanzo and lima -- is 15 grams. White beans have the most protein, with 17.42 grams in 1 cup. Lima beans are at the bottom of the list, with 1 cup containing 10.32 grams. The others have 15 to 17 grams of protein in 1 cup.

Oh, and have you tried PB2 in the greek yogurt? I like mixing PB2 in vanilla greek yogurt and using it as a fruit dip.
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1m3ofovfiec3.jpg

Good, I wasn't sure if I was going to get up a picture today of my (two) bentos :smiley:

Lunch
    Box 1: salad with kale, arugula, mushrooms, tomato, cucumber and basil goat cheese

Box 2: strawberries, ham, and cooked pattypan squash and baby zucchini

I have yoga teacher training this evening so I have a light supper in box three.

Box 3: corned beef roll ups, spicy pickles, and black grapes

Yumyum!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I remembered the dressing for my salad today! Yaaay!!! (I swear there's green stuff under the mushrooms! It is an actual salad, really!) Sesame fish, brown rice (under the fish), and mixed veggies in the main box.
    n4g2aibu2n0h.jpg

But now all I want is @sagj 's ham #_#
  • zira91
    Options

eslzf3lqmydc.jpg

Your bento is gorgeous too!! I like how u arrange ur apppe slices.. & How's ur greek yogurt experiment turn out to be?does mixing those taste good?
  • piheart
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »

eslzf3lqmydc.jpg

Your bento is gorgeous too!! I like how u arrange ur apppe slices.. & How's ur greek yogurt experiment turn out to be?does mixing those taste good?

Thank you!! Unfortunately, I was not a big fan of today's experiment. I ended up scooping it up and eating it with the apples, which wasn't so bad... Oh well. I have had better luck with just yogurt + protein powder, or yogurt + pb + honey. Guess I should just stop being adventurous and trying every single thing that looks good on MFP...!
  • piheart
    Options

Oh, and have you tried PB2 in the greek yogurt? I like mixing PB2 in vanilla greek yogurt and using it as a fruit dip.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Beans are a great source of protein, you're right I should incorporate those more. The only thing is it just takes so many calories of them to reach the protein goal I have for lunch! Maybe I just need more recipes... I will get looking!

And, I have been trying to find PB2 forever but I don't think it's in stores where I'm at. Probably means it's time to buck up and order a bunch when it goes on sale on groupon again.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions!! Beans are a great source of protein, you're right I should incorporate those more. The only thing is it just takes so many calories of them to reach the protein goal I have for lunch! Maybe I just need more recipes... I will get looking!

And, I have been trying to find PB2 forever but I don't think it's in stores where I'm at. Probably means it's time to buck up and order a bunch when it goes on sale on groupon again.

PB2 is just peanut flour. Try in the flour section of your grocery store if you can't find actual PB2. I've also found peanut flour at Trader Joes if you have one of those nearby.

• madiao
    madiao Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @mrron2u sure! This is just for the broth, add toppings of your choice!

1.5kg pig trotters, split lengthwise or cut crosswise into 1-inch disks (as your butcher to do this for you)
    900g chicken backs and carcasses, skin and excess fat removed
    500g chicken feet
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 large onion, skin on, roughly chopped
    12 garlic cloves
    One 3-inch knob ginger, cut to 2
    2 whole leeks, washed and roughly chopped
    2 dozen scallions, white parts only (reserve greens and light green parts for garnishing finished soup)
    200g whole fresh shitake mushrooms or mushroom scraps
    200g slab pork fat

Put trotter, carcass and chicken feet in a big pot. Fill with cold water and bring to a boil (takes a while) Once it comes to a boil, drain everything into the sink and wash with cold water. Wash and remove the dark brown stuffs (blood, marrow, organs) and drain them.
    Meanwhile, in a pan, pour oil and pan fry onion, ginger and garlic till almost burnt. Set them aside.
    Once they are clean, put them back into the pot, add leeks, scallion, ginger, onion, garlic, mushroom and pork fat. Fill up the pot with water, till it covers everything.
    Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, skimming off any scum that appears (this should stop appearing within the first 20 minutes or so). Use a clean sponge or moist paper towels to wipe and black or gray scum off from around the rim of the pot. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and place a heavy lid on top.
    Check occasionaly if you need to add any water (I may have added just about 500ml throughout the whole process)
    At about 3-4 hours down, check on the slab of pork fat, it should be tender. Remove and mince it with your knife, imagine cutting into jelly. Set that aside till ready to use, if using.
    Let it boil for another couple of hours. I boiled mine for 12 hours. Then strain the broth into a clean pot, squeeze juices from bones and leftover meat.

Tomorrow's bento is braised beef ribs, rice, carrots and broccoli

jiw4r5m1i9h4.jpg
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    @madiao - Thanks so much! I love that there are no noodles in yours (I actually hate noodles). Can't waiit to try cooking this one up!
  • piheart
    edited August 2015
    Options

PB2 is just peanut flour. Try in the flour section of your grocery store if you can't find actual PB2. I've also found peanut flour at Trader Joes if you have one of those nearby.

Thanks!! I will definitely check it out. I do have a Trader Joe's and I'll look at my regular store.

As for today's bento...

Breakfast: Greek yogurt + cinnamon swirl protein powder + ground flaxseed (awesome!), apples, strawberries, waffle + syrup in the container, and maybe the best molded egg I've ever made on a bed of spinach! (372 cal)

Lunch: Spinach, chicken salad w/feta and strawberries, balsamic reduction in the container, mini quiche, carrots + hummus bear, wheat thins and laughing cow (402 cal)

dqufyj7a9ufk.jpg
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

dqufyj7a9ufk.jpg
    [/quote]

Can I join you for breakfast and lunch today? That looks awesome.

No bento for me today. Working late + teacher's training = sad panda with no bento

ulfqh2p7o5gy.jpg
  • piheart
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    dqufyj7a9ufk.jpg

Can I join you for breakfast and lunch today? That looks awesome.

No bento for me today. Working late + teacher's training = sad panda with no bento

ulfqh2p7o5gy.jpg
    [/quote]

Awwww ): Yes come on over any time!! :D
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    9lwdkvdbxtc4.jpg
    Another sad panda here too !!!! Forgot my Bento at home and had to eat what work catered-in - Subway. Nope , not good at all !!!!! Bland an boring ! I missed my soy egg shaped like a cute little bunny rabbit, I missed my beautiful, colorful spring rolls , I missed my savory fried quinoa !!! AND to think I used to go gaga over subway
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread I wanted a bento so bad. So here is my first one.0vp3r6avcdfw.jpg
  • zira91
    Options

Thanks!! I will definitely check it out. I do have a Trader Joe's and I'll look at my regular store.

As for today's bento...

Breakfast: Greek yogurt + cinnamon swirl protein powder + ground flaxseed (awesome!), apples, strawberries, waffle + syrup in the container, and maybe the best molded egg I've ever made on a bed of spinach! (372 cal)

Lunch: Spinach, chicken salad w/feta and strawberries, balsamic reduction in the container, mini quiche, carrots + hummus bear, wheat thins and laughing cow (402 cal)

dqufyj7a9ufk.jpg

WOW!! ur bento look even more beautiful today!!! what is that beside ur apples slices? with the green rabbit pick on it..
  • zira91
    Options
    im so envious to others that can eat their veges raw and they can eat so many veges.. because salad, is out if question for me.. :'(
  • piheart
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »

As for today's bento...

dqufyj7a9ufk.jpg

WOW!! ur bento look even more beautiful today!!! what is that beside ur apples slices? with the green rabbit pick on it..

That is my Greek yogurt creation! way better today than yesterday, just added a little cinnamon swirl flavored protein powder and some ground flaxseed. The texture is a little grainy with the flaxseed, but it helps with my fiber intake and I have a huge bag I really gotta use... lol