TDEE method vs MFP

Options
hi everyone

i just wondered what the ratio of people on the above methods and the success theyve had? do people find the TDEE method easier/more straight forward? more successful?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i found that mfp way, i struggled on non exercised days, i found that i was exercising more, just to get a few extra calories to eat thta day - the TDEE method gives me a suistainable amount each day it limits me going over, which i find is so much more eaiser to maintain
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I prefer MFP. Exercise and doing it has been integral. I can see the benefits of TDEE for maintenance. I started with MFP because it was the default. My exercise also varies. Horses for courses thopugh as they are 2 sides of the same coin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do the TDEE as it allows me to preplan my days to ensure I am going to be on target and I won't have to chase calories post workout. And MFP is notorious for over estimate calories burned. The TDEE method eliminates that. Also, its a lot easier to manage macros with the TDEE method (at least IMO) and understand your true maintenance number.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I do the TDEE as it allows me to preplan my days to ensure I am going to be on target and I won't have to chase calories post workout. And MFP is notorious for over estimate calories burned. The TDEE method eliminates that. Also, its a lot easier to manage macros with the TDEE method (at least IMO) and understand your true maintenance number.

have you had sucessful weightloss?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

have you had sucessful weightloss?

Absolutely. And I know I maintain at 3000 calories, so when I bulk, I will already know where my starting point will be.

• leahcollett1
    Options
    thats really good. have you noticed that the calories in the calculator reduce as you lose weight - how often do you amend on here?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    thats really good. have you noticed that the calories in the calculator reduce as you lose weight - how often do you amend on here?

While you will technically see a reduction in metabolic (BMR/RMR) functions and you burn less calories as you weight loss (so a reduction in NEAT), I found that I become more active as I lost weight (grant it, I have only lose 25 or 30 lbs) which maintained my TDEE.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    so i shouldnt adjust yet? my calories based on a 25% fat loss was 1750 now is 1699.... i didnt know whether i should change it, nothing else has changed i still train 3-4 days a week
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have followed TDEE method for the past year, I have found it suits me better especially in maintenance - its about finding what works for us personally :smile:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    so i shouldnt adjust yet? my calories based on a 25% fat loss was 1750 now is 1699.... i didnt know whether i should change it, nothing else has changed i still train 3-4 days a week

Do you follow the TDEE or MFP method? What is your average calories over the past 4 weeks, and what is your average weight loss over that period?
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I follow the TDEE method, entered my stats and exercise at a moderate level 3-4 times a week, the first week i did it, i lost 2lbs, second week i went on holiday gained 4, last week i lost the 4 i gained, so i havent really got an consistant accurate data yet
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Before you can modify it, track it for a good solid weeks starting now. Make sure you have a food scale and log daily.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    i do, yea will do, thank you for your help. ill add you
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I switched to TDEE after a couple months, it was just easier for me not to have to track every single walk I took. I've lost 80 pounds.

But it only works if you're consistent with exercise as a whole. MFP motivates you to get a workout in so you can eat more at least. With TDEE, if you don't exercise, you won't lose anything.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty consistent, so TDEE is working well for me. I don't really trust exercise burn estimates, so being able to go by my spreadsheet, which takes into my weight changes and calories into account, allows me to get a fairly accurate handle on how much I burn per day. It's also showing me that doing C25K is adding substantially to my overall burn for the week. I'll probably end up having to add another 300 calories a day.

In the meantime, I've lost 116 pounds, so it's going OK this way.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE because I'm very consistent with my exercise. I also was finding that by using the MFP method, I was eating a ton on my long run days (more than I wanted to) and was eating very little on my rest days. TDEE helps balance that out for me.

That being said, I have used the MFP method successfully as well. When I first started, I think it was important to see how exercise impacted my calorie goals. I also switched back a month or two ago for a few weeks when I wasn't being diligent about exercise to get me back into the swing of things. Once I got back to my normal motivated self and a regular exercise schedule, I switched back to TDEE.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE and have been for 3 years. It's simpler for me to have a flat calorie goal every day instead of a fluctuating one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    yes this is what i found out, however as a whole im really consistant and i love les mill combat i think its awesome so i get my motivation from that, 80lbs is a massive achievement!!! :)

I love Les Mills Combat too. Done it twice so far, waiting for school to start again and I'll do it a third time. Just no idea how many calories it burns, I'm guessing not that many though.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I think TDEE works great if you are very consistent with your activity level. I'm not, so I use MFP's method.

MFP's NEAT + Exercise = TDEE. However, exercise is estimated, so probably not as accurate as calculating out TDEE periodically (assuming you aren't consistent with your exercise).

I use MFP's system for now and I eat more based on the weekly net calories. Basically, a flexible TDEE setup but I rarely succeed in eating 100% of my exercise calories. I intend to switch to TDEE once I hit my goal weight and we'll see how that goes.