Overweight gym staff

Replies

• LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    I would take advice from an overweight person in a heart beat if I felt it was good advice. A person that is struggling with their own weight but knowledgeable in fitness and/or nutrition might have an easier time understanding my struggles, my mental health and my goals. A person who has been fit for most of their lives has *no* idea what kind of struggles I am going through as a fat person. They might assume it's a simple fix, that overeating couldn't possibly be *that* bad. A fat person might understand and empathize more, and I'd be more likely to approach them in a gym setting.

- An obese but knowledgeable chick.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If the instructions keep needing to be reposted, the process is broken.

Some people don't understand how to read the instructions before using. Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe mfp should institute a policy of no posting on the forums until the instructions have been read. Repeatedly.

The vast majority of people will not read instructions that long.

Ain't gonna happen.

A well-designed process would take that into account - repeatedly posting the instructions is (ironically) just more spamming.

Well, i saw about 20 flags in 2 pages of replies and just couldn't make it through the rest of the pages without a reminder to the flaggers. If it was already posted here, sorry - not trying to spam, although i am not a bot so I'm not sure that qualifies even so. And a well-designed process is exactly what i meant, actually.

Hey, apologies - wasn't taking a shot at you, but I can see how it could've come across that way.

Just 'cause it's doomed to failure, doesn't mean the world doesn't need people willing to fit the good fight!

:drinker:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Zedeff wrote: »
    If you don't like being helped or instructed in fitness by fat people, WTF are you doing on this web forum - this forum is almost entirely advice from fat people!

Go find board of fitness models instead.

Speak for yourself

I know a lot of people at goal who post here because they wish to help others

It's generally easy to check the difference

Although I get some of my best advice / discussions from those in progress
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I don't necessarily like my hairdresser's hair-do but will still let her cut mine... Size discrimination is something we should be fighting against rather than endorsing - unless they really are giving you duff advice (not just different to what you were expecting) - in which case you need to bring your concerns to management.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    If you don't like being helped or instructed in fitness by fat people, WTF are you doing on this web forum - this forum is almost entirely advice from fat people!

Go find board of fitness models instead.

Speak for yourself

I know a lot of people at goal who post here because they wish to help others

It's generally easy to check the difference

Although I get some of my best advice / discussions from those in progress

bold has not been my case.

• FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    So much ignorance in the fitness profession these days. Saturated with Beach Body coaches that wouldn't know how to use a pair of calibers if their lives depended on it. The issue with overweight/out of shape people giving fitness advise is the hypocrisy of it all.

I believe if you are a casual gym goer that goes for your personal reasons than that is fine, taking advice from anyone at that point is your own prerogative. However if you are willing to pay for someone to train you, give you advice to help you improve your health/life-style shouldn't you want that person to resemble your goals? If you are looking to go from obese to healthy, why does it make since having a trainer that is overweight? Sure, they are in "better physical condition" than you are but are they really where you want to be? And if they are, why are you throwing away your money? Are you really that lazy and inept you can't figure your own body out enough to go from obese to overweight?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I find this funny because I'm currently applying to be a Spinning instructor at my gym and I'm definitely not lean. That being said, I've been to every spinning class for a number of months now and I know my way around a spinning bike and how to set up a good playlist for students to exercise to. Just because you're overweight, doesn't mean that you don't know what you're doing.

Also, the part about her not losing weight... how do you know she's not? How do you know that you just can't see it? I've seen people for the first time in 6 months (and lost about 25 lbs) and they don't comment on how much I've lost. That doesn't mean that I haven't lost it though.

True, but being overweight does not help the personal brand either.

People are going to have more success as an instructor if they are in shape, have the knowledge and experience to instruct, and the ability to present this knowledge well across a diverse audience. The problem for anyone overweight is that the only variable visible is your body, all else takes time to learn, which most people are short on to begin with.

We don't have unlimited resources, so it is up to the trainer to prove this, not for the client to dig this out. Clients are going to seek out the person with the best reputation, resume, etc so they can help solve problems. Aesthetics are marketing are crucial to draw in that first interaction.
  • yopeeps025
    mjwoodcum wrote: »
    However if you are willing to pay for someone to train you, give you advice to help you improve your health/life-style shouldn't you want that person to resemble your goals?

Well I would be looking for a very long time to find that. Not too many folks have the goals that I want. Maybe top of the line athletes will offer their services to me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Some of the comments have been that you care more about whether they give good advice rather than whether they are fit. Let's talk about that... if I know whether the advice I'm receiving is good advice or bad advice, then why am I paying for it?! If I am an expert on the topic, I wouldn't hire a personal trainer. I would only hire someone for expertise that I don't have myself.

I'm an accountant, so I do my own taxes. But I take my pets to the vet when they are sick because I'm not a vet. When the vet suggests medicines and such, I don't usually know whether it is good advice or not. I just have to rely on trust - because I don't have the expertise the vet has. The best proof that a personal trainer can be effective is that they are fit. For a lot of professions which require specific knowledge, it isn't as obvious whether they really know the right stuff or not... so we have to trust them. When it comes to fitness experts, though, it is much simpler to know if they can be effective based on the results they exhibit in themselves. Their advice may be good or bad, and I would have no clue because if I'm paying for their help, I shouldn't already know what the right answer will be.

**Seriously, do you all really spend time and money to see an expert when you already know what to do? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I just value my time and money more than average.

Women who become pregnant and carry the extra weight can't go to work because they had a baby and people like you would judge that as they would give bad advice?

What does a trainers body have to do with your goals?

It has nothing to do with my goals, nor does it need to have anything to do with my goals. None of that is relevant to my point... you are clearly looking at this from a different perspective, though I don't get the impression that you understand the difference between my perspective and yours.

We have different perspective because I don't care about a trainer practicing what they preach. You do.

Yes, and it is even deeper than that. I want to see that they took whatever situation they were dealt (maybe they are one of the many people who find it easy to keep a healthy weight, maybe they are like me and find weight loss nearly impossible at times and actually impossible at other times) and were able to customize a plan that worked. The plan they customize for me won't likely be the same plan that worked for them, but I need to see that they can take any situation and figure out a way to make it work - even if weight loss is more difficult for them than for any other person on the planet.... because I'm sure I'm in the top 5% or worse.

If her only excuse is that she just had a baby, and can't be in shape shortly afterwards, there is no way she will be able to get me in good physical condition because I know my challenges are more difficult to overcome. Not only do I need a trainer who cares enough to keep him/herself in shape (this is where we differ), but they also need to know how. Evidence that they know how should be apparent.
  • yopeeps025
    Some of the comments have been that you care more about whether they give good advice rather than whether they are fit. Let's talk about that... if I know whether the advice I'm receiving is good advice or bad advice, then why am I paying for it?! If I am an expert on the topic, I wouldn't hire a personal trainer. I would only hire someone for expertise that I don't have myself.

I'm an accountant, so I do my own taxes. But I take my pets to the vet when they are sick because I'm not a vet. When the vet suggests medicines and such, I don't usually know whether it is good advice or not. I just have to rely on trust - because I don't have the expertise the vet has. The best proof that a personal trainer can be effective is that they are fit. For a lot of professions which require specific knowledge, it isn't as obvious whether they really know the right stuff or not... so we have to trust them. When it comes to fitness experts, though, it is much simpler to know if they can be effective based on the results they exhibit in themselves. Their advice may be good or bad, and I would have no clue because if I'm paying for their help, I shouldn't already know what the right answer will be.

**Seriously, do you all really spend time and money to see an expert when you already know what to do? I find that hard to believe, but maybe I just value my time and money more than average.

Women who become pregnant and carry the extra weight can't go to work because they had a baby and people like you would judge that as they would give bad advice?

What does a trainers body have to do with your goals?

It has nothing to do with my goals, nor does it need to have anything to do with my goals. None of that is relevant to my point... you are clearly looking at this from a different perspective, though I don't get the impression that you understand the difference between my perspective and yours.

We have different perspective because I don't care about a trainer practicing what they preach. You do.

Yes, and it is even deeper than that. I want to see that they took whatever situation they were dealt (maybe they are one of the many people who find it easy to keep a healthy weight, maybe they are like me and find weight loss nearly impossible at times and actually impossible at other times) and were able to customize a plan that worked. The plan they customize for me won't likely be the same plan that worked for them, but I need to see that they can take any situation and figure out a way to make it work - even if weight loss is more difficult for them than for any other person on the planet.... because I'm sure I'm in the top 5% or worse.

If her only excuse is that she just had a baby, and can't be in shape shortly afterwards, there is no way she will be able to get me in good physical condition because I know my challenges are more difficult to overcome. Not only do I need a trainer who cares enough to keep him/herself in shape (this is where we differ), but they also need to know how. Evidence that they know how should be apparent.

We differ from the the whole trainer aspect.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I find it funny because I've heard lots of people complain about the opposite. I've heard people complain that they are very uncomfortable in a gym where everyone is fit and has perfect looking bodies. They said they feel uncomfortable and feel like they could be judged for not being as fit.
    So this thread struck me as odd because I'm used to hearing complaints about the opposite! I was once asked to hand out flyers and t-shirts at the front door of the gym for an event . my friend works there and asked me for help. as I was greeting people , a lady walked up and then quickly walked away. He asked me to go ask her if she needed help ( he assumed she was searching for a friend or something) so I ran over to her as she was getting into her car and asked why she left and if she needed help . she said, " I'm uncomfortable going inside because everyone looks so fit and I'm over weight "
    I said , well they weren't born this fit and everyone starts somewhere! So come in and join us! She declined and drove away. :(

I'm guessing that, for most people, there is a happy middle ground. Is expect trainers to be fit, but if they're all made up, perfectly coiffed and dressed in fancy gym wear I'd assume that they don't actually work out! When I read OPs initial post I assumed that these trainers were properly obese. Not a few lbs overweight, but 50, 60, 70lbs overweight. There's a lot of leeway there.

I would only assess the trainer's appearance in terms of perceived fitness; hairstyle and fashion have nothing to do with their fitness level and wouldn't figure into my analysis.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    bw_conway wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I find it funny because I've heard lots of people complain about the opposite. I've heard people complain that they are very uncomfortable in a gym where everyone is fit and has perfect looking bodies. They said they feel uncomfortable and feel like they could be judged for not being as fit.
    So this thread struck me as odd because I'm used to hearing complaints about the opposite! I was once asked to hand out flyers and t-shirts at the front door of the gym for an event . my friend works there and asked me for help. as I was greeting people , a lady walked up and then quickly walked away. He asked me to go ask her if she needed help ( he assumed she was searching for a friend or something) so I ran over to her as she was getting into her car and asked why she left and if she needed help . she said, " I'm uncomfortable going inside because everyone looks so fit and I'm over weight "
    I said , well they weren't born this fit and everyone starts somewhere! So come in and join us! She declined and drove away. :(

I'm guessing that, for most people, there is a happy middle ground. Is expect trainers to be fit, but if they're all made up, perfectly coiffed and dressed in fancy gym wear I'd assume that they don't actually work out! When I read OPs initial post I assumed that these trainers were properly obese. Not a few lbs overweight, but 50, 60, 70lbs overweight. There's a lot of leeway there.

I would only assess the trainer's appearance in terms of perceived fitness; hairstyle and fashion have nothing to do with their fitness level and wouldn't figure into my analysis.

Good for you!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    I would rather pick a trainer based on the success of their clients more than anything else. Maybe they should all just have references and a portfolio.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    If the instructions keep needing to be reposted, the process is broken.

Some people don't understand how to read the instructions before using. Oh well, it is what it is. Maybe mfp should institute a policy of no posting on the forums until the instructions have been read. Repeatedly.

The vast majority of people will not read instructions that long.

Ain't gonna happen.

A well-designed process would take that into account - repeatedly posting the instructions is (ironically) just more spamming.

Well, i saw about 20 flags in 2 pages of replies and just couldn't make it through the rest of the pages without a reminder to the flaggers. If it was already posted here, sorry - not trying to spam, although i am not a bot so I'm not sure that qualifies even so. And a well-designed process is exactly what i meant, actually.

Hey, apologies - wasn't taking a shot at you, but I can see how it could've come across that way.

Just 'cause it's doomed to failure, doesn't mean the world doesn't need people willing to fit the good fight!

:drinker:

I'd be happy with an app that let me see pictures, but broken is broken all around :disappointed:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I would rather pick a trainer based on the success of their clients more than anything else. Maybe they should all just have references and a portfolio.

Good point, but where do you get to see their clients? By recommendation? Btw we werent pointing out what was the best way, just the fact it would be material as to how you might choose a trainer initially.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    mjwoodcum wrote: »
    Your body is your business card if you are a personal trainer, plain and simple. At least if you want to make any real money doing it. Everyone is so sensitive these days when it comes to "fat shaming". I don't care if you are ACE, NASM, UASE, ABC123, certified. If you look more like you are TCBY certified... you are a disgrace to the profession.

If you went to a suit tailor and he was wearing a giant baggy suit, would you trust him to take in your suit for you?
    Well said.
    I think it boils down to a human tendency toward lowering the bar. It's no fun admitting that others will judge us on the one area of life where we have near total control: our bodies.
    And this is especially true for those calling themselves "professionals" in the fitness business.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    MKEgal wrote: »
    ersacam wrote:
    you perceive them to be stupid because they are fatter than your acceptable standard.
    No, I perceive them to be fat because they're fat.
    So am/was I.
    If they know how to eat healthfully, what an acceptable calorie level is for them, how to maintain a healthy weight,
    etc., why aren't they doing it?
    Do they really not know, or do they not care?
    Ignorant or hypocritical, it doesn't matter much to me.
    If they think it's good advice, they should take it themselves.

You (usually) can't tell much about someone's IQ just by looking at them.

msf74 wrote:
    In the absence of a detailed exploration of what the person's qualifications are a fit appearance suggests more strongly that they are able to give better advice ("walking the walk") than someone who doesn't look as good.
    This. Exactly this.

Not everyone practice what they preach.
    True, and why hire such people?

• thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    TeeC56 wrote: »
    FunSizedKJ wrote: »
    I understand the idea that if someone isn't following their own advice, it is hard to take them seriously. The logic behind it makes sense.

But similar to what other's have been saying, you don't know what life circumstances have happened to them. I know you said that they aren't progressing in their own fitness/health journey, but how do you know that? How do you know that maybe at one point, they were extremely fit and qualified to be giving advice, but life happened to them and they got knocked down? One of the trainers at my gym, when judged by these standards, shouldn't be training, but realistically, even though he is still heavier, he also lost around 120 lbs. 120 lbs doesn't come off by accident.

Why is this such a common train of thought?

I have neither the time nor the inclination to give consideration to the life situation of every person I see or even meet. Why should anyone?

If I see an obese trainer in a gym, I will note the discrepancy between his/her profession and their body weight, and give them not a single thought more.

I do not care if they have some disease preventing weight loss, I do not Care if they've recently put on weight due to trouble in their home life, etc etc. These are things you care about when you know someone.

Honestly, folks running around trying to pretend to care about everyone are emotionally exhausting themselves

You don't have to 'care,' if by 'care' you mean empathize.* But deciding that someone must be bad at their job and that it's okay to treat them differently and poorly because of something about them, is actually a form of 'caring.' You're making a judgement and changing your behavior because of your perception of them. You are, in fact, acting like you care.

*I mean, you probably should take time to think about the situations of others, because that's part of basic respect, but you aren't obligated to.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

You don't have to 'care,' if by 'care' you mean empathize.* But deciding that someone must be bad at their job and that it's okay to treat them differently and poorly because of something about them, is actually a form of 'caring.' You're making a judgement and changing your behavior because of your perception of them. You are, in fact, acting like you care.

*I mean, you probably should take time to think about the situations of others, because that's part of basic respect, but you aren't obligated to.

You missed his point and are reading too much into it. If as he says he doesnt care, then the only way hes treating them differently is by paying more attention to the PTs who meet his requirement. I cant see why he cnat be indifferent or why he should have to spend any time thinking about why the PT is overweight. he will have a choice of several trainers, he decideds his own criteria, si wht shoyld be be bothered about those he chooses not to pick?

As this thread shows there are plenty of others who will be attracted to or not be put off by a trainer who is seriously overweight.