Low Carb

Options
Anyone eating a lower carb higher protein lifestyle?

Replies

• thetruekim47
    thetruekim47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In the short term you may lose weight faster on a low carb high fat diet and eating at a deficit than f you just ate at a deficit. After a year the losses mostly even out.

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

No, it is not a fad. It is a way of eating. And you are incorrect, combining LCHF with a calorie deficit does usually cause faster weight loss. It is not by a huge amount, but it is faster.

• galgenstrick
    Options
    And you're going to make a that claim without providing evidence? It boils down to the first law of thermodynamics, anything else is a second order effect and well within the noise.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    And you're going to make a that claim without providing evidence? It boils down to the first law of thermodynamics, anything else is a second order effect and well within the noise.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

It appears that the low carb diets do not raise insulin as much as regular diets, and since insulin assists in at storage, it makes sense that low carb works well. It is best suited for those with insulin resistance but works for others too.

Yes a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss though.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Your statement doesn't mean that you'll lose fat faster. If your insulin is lower then you'll burn more energy from your fat stores, but energy is still conserved! So two identical people, one on a LCHF diet, and one on a LFHC diet, eating the same amount of calories will lose the same amount of weight. The other second order effect that comes into play is the thermic effect of food. Fat is much more easily stored as body fat than carbs or protein. So in fact, I would argue that eating a high fat diet would make you lose fat slower considering that alters the energy in side of the CICO equation.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is one of a few choices.

It works fine.

And like any other diet choice you can't over eat. There is no eat all you want diet.

Some respond better to low carb than others. I can run fine and do endurance length exercises at cardio level eating moderate carb.

At the gym I often see hard gainer types eating tons of food, drinking mass gainer shakes and they struggle to add muscle.

There are people like me that add muscle pretty easily but losing fat is the challenge.

For me lower carb, limited calories, and cardio... That gets me into 33 waist jeans.

Give a variet of diets a fair shot and see what works best for you.
  • nvmomketo
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your statement doesn't mean that you'll lose fat faster. If your insulin is lower then you'll burn more energy from your fat stores, but energy is still conserved! So two identical people, one on a LCHF diet, and one on a LFHC diet, eating the same amount of calories will lose the same amount of weight. The other second order effect that comes into play is the thermic effect of food. Fat is much more easily stored as body fat than carbs or protein. So in fact, I would argue that eating a high fat diet would make you lose fat slower considering that alters the energy in side of the CICO equation.
    Yeah..... no. Believe what you will.

Best wishes.
  • galgenstrick
    edited August 2015
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah... no. Believe what you will.

Best wishes.

BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I would be more interested in a metabolic / hormonal / substrate utilisation view to be honest. As a Chemical Engineer I know an energy and mass balance will always hold true, but it appears to me that many of the outputs are variables and at least some of them are influenced by the composition and quantity of the inputs.

Having calories controlled on a low carb diet study is stupid, you neutralise one of the key advantages ie subjects voluntarily eat less. If you're married to the calorie hypothesis it should be trivial to express the fat loss per unit deficit rather than using it as a straw man to ignore the evidence that you don't like.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...

funny how they all find low carb to be either better or the same in terms of weight loss.

Where's the study showing fat loss in an isocaloric comparison of <20% E from carbs vs whatever alternative / control with high compliance throughout so we can see the other side of the argument.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After 25 years of maintaining a 60+ pound weight loss on a high carb, low fat diet I converted to eating in a lower carb way. It really works for me. Not so much for weight loss (menopause and hypothyroidism are making that a real challenge) but in the way I feel. My gastrointestinal tract is mostly happy after years of almost constant turmoil. I don't have cravings or get crazy hungry like I used to, which certainly make it easier to control my intake. So it works fairly well for me, and since I have a very strong family history of diabetes I believe it's a sensible way for me to eat. That doesn't mean it works well for everyone, and I don't think it's any kind of magic bullet for weight loss.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

It's not a fad if you're insulin resistant. Because if you are, you need to go very low calorie to restrict your carbohydrates enough to prevent insulin spikes. I learned this the hard way. Everyone's metabolism is different.

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Nope. All wrong assumptions, because you leave out one factor: insulin.

• Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    While there's no eat all you want and lose weight diet, low carb high fat comes close for many people. LCHF doesn't mean you can eat 4000 calories and lose weight, but I know that I can eat all I want, because I often find myself taking a slug of heavy cream late at night just to even come close to my daily recommended calories. Eating lots of fat and little carbs leads to much higher satiety. I can eat 200 calories worth of old cheddar and feel satisfied a lot longer than if I'd eaten a little bag of candy or a chunk of bread worth 200 calories.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OP, I eat lower carb, higher fat. Do you have questions or are you looking for friends doing the same?
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb just because I choose to. As long as the weight comes off I don't really care.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    GeddesFit wrote: »
    I eat low carb just because I choose to. As long as the weight comes off I don't really care.

hear hear. Evidence is truth, and if it works for you, it's true for you. There's a pile of studies that show eating LCHF doesn't increase blood cholesterol levels or pose risk to heart health or anything else. If it works for people, I don't get why people who don't do it get so worked up over those who do.
  • salenaii
    salenaii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb and calorie counting it's a little harder but I lost 2 pounds in5 days it's a start I feel great :)we will see in 2 weeks :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It's not a fad. That's just silly.