Eating Dinner after 7pm

Options
Dear all

I keep hearing these claims that dieters should not eat a heavy meal (especially with carbs) after 7pm for various reasons.

I often don't finish work (where I am unable to discreetly snack) until 10pm and am literally starving.

Is there any truth to these claims, it is it the just a fake endorsement from celebrities on "myths" that keep them thin?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

:)

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No truth to that at all. I eat dinner after 7 every single night & it hasn't made me gain weight or impede my weight loss.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Broscience. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just so you stay with in a calorie deficient in a 24hr period. Eat whatever, at whatever time you want.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner about 7 every night and then a snack around 10....I've lost 4 pounds this week. Time he's no bearing on it
  • DDAstrid
    DDAstrid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No truth to that at all. I eat dinner after 7 every single night & it hasn't made me gain weight or impede my weight loss.

Phew. Because I'm going to devour a small bowl of pasta very soon :)
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    Broscience. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just so you stay with in a calorie deficient in a 24hr period. Eat whatever, at whatever time you want.

I hope so. I do worry it just sits there not burning away at its optimum.
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    ShandaLeaS wrote: »
    I eat dinner about 7 every night and then a snack around 10....I've lost 4 pounds this week. Time he's no bearing on it

Excellent news. I like a treat before bed to reward myself for sticking within calories all day or I enjoy a meal out with my husband. Either way it often happens late a night :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie allowance you will lose :smile:
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, as long as you stay within your calorie allowance you will lose :smile:

Why do celebrities come out with this tosh then? ;)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    DDAstrid wrote: »

It doesn't matter when you eat. If you eat the pasta early, then utilize the fuel that day, it used. If you eat it right before bed, you still utilize fuel while sleeping. Sure not as much, but its not all being stored. What is stored you'll use for fuel the next day. The body is constantly storing and burning fuel. For this reason, total calories for the day/week are what matters. Store it now or store it later basically. If you cosume 2000 calories a day and your body burns 2500 a day, no matter when you eat those calories, you'll have a net deficit of 3500 calories at the end of the week. The body will be forced to use stored fuel to make up for that deficit.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I lost 95 lb eating dinner usually around 9 or 10.

Unless it prevents you from being able to sleep (never had been an issue for me), I wouldn't worry about it.

It's also meant that evening snacking has never been tempting to me.
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I lost 95 lb eating dinner usually around 9 or 10.

Unless it prevents you from being able to sleep (never had been an issue for me), I wouldn't worry about it.

It's also meant that evening snacking has never been tempting to me.

Congratulations 95lbs is an amazing achievement.
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

It doesn't matter when you eat. If you eat the pasta early, then utilize the fuel that day, it used. If you eat it right before bed, you still utilize fuel while sleeping. Sure not as much, but its not all being stored. What is stored you'll use for fuel the next day. The body is constantly storing and burning fuel. For this reason, total calories for the day/week are what matters. Store it now or store it later basically. If you cosume 2000 calories a day and your body burns 2500 a day, no matter when you eat those calories, you'll have a net deficit of 3500 calories at the end of the week. The body will be forced to use stored fuel to make up for that deficit.

Which makes absolute sense. Hence it's 7.20pm here and I'm about to make a small bowl of lasagne.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I try not to eat much after about 8:00 or so, but it has nothing to do with weight -- it's because I get indigestion if I lie down within a couple of hours after eating.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    People in Spain and Portugal don't eat dinner until 9pm or 10 pm and, well, they are a lot thinner and healthier than people in the US.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

^ Fact ^

• katiegud
    katiegud Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Practically everyone in Europe would be obese if that mattered. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is there any truth to these claims, it is it the just a fake endorsement from celebrities on "myths" that keep them thin?

No truth.
    I have regularly eaten 600-900 calories after 7 PM and still lost weight.
    Stick to your calorie goal. Timing doesn't matter.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My favorite article on this subject: link.
  • DDAstrid
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    My favorite article on this subject: link.

That is VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    nope