Overweight gym staff

1131415161719»

Replies

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Could not read all the replies...cause well...8 pages. I have started this exact thread before on these forums as my gym has a few large trainers and a few obese trainers.

To me, if you are a trainer, your body is your billboard. Your advertisement. If you can't put into effect the things you are going to have me do, then you aren't a trainer I want. Are there outlying circumstances? Sure, but that is a general thought I have.

Pretty much that.

Doesn't mean I won't be friends with him/her, I won't judge him/her as a person, etc. But I probably won't be hiring him/her professionally.

I also wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't keep current on his/her own tax filings, a contractor whose house is caving in, nor a vocal coach who can't sing.

I guess I'll go stand over here in the judgey-judgey corner.

i will stand there with you. lol

But, this corner is so crowded! All of humanity is in it!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Could not read all the replies...cause well...8 pages. I have started this exact thread before on these forums as my gym has a few large trainers and a few obese trainers.

To me, if you are a trainer, your body is your billboard. Your advertisement. If you can't put into effect the things you are going to have me do, then you aren't a trainer I want. Are there outlying circumstances? Sure, but that is a general thought I have.

Pretty much that.

Doesn't mean I won't be friends with him/her, I won't judge him/her as a person, etc. But I probably won't be hiring him/her professionally.

I also wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't keep current on his/her own tax filings, a contractor whose house is caving in, nor a vocal coach who can't sing.

That is a shame. I hope that kind of logic does not correlate to other aspects of life.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Pretty much that.

That is a shame. I hope that kind of logic does not correlate to other aspects of life.

As stated, I'm able to separate professional relationships from personal relationships.

It would have an effect only on the former, not the latter. I'm quite good friends with people whom I would never hire professionally. And I work professionally with people whom I'll never want to be close friends with.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    I think they say that bodypump won't make your muscles big to encourage more women to come to the classes

I wouldn't want to see really overweight instructors however we all carry all our weight differently some people will never have small frames

I also agree with people who weight a lot but have a lot of knowledge I'm overweight but could preach about every diet and exercise going :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Pretty much that.

As stated, I'm able to separate professional relationships from personal relationships.

It would have an effect only on the former, not the latter. I'm quite good friends with people whom I would never hire professionally. And I work professionally with people whom I'll never want to be close friends with.
    valid point

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think these are two different topics ..a doctor is not qualified to give the type of advice you go to a trainer for. People who staff commercial gyms probably aren't either

I think it would be better to say "medical school doesn't teach future doctors how to train effectively". Because lots and lots of doctors know tons about fitness and training and diet - they happened to learn it outside of med school.

(I'm not trying to pick a pedantic fight)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015

Yep. That's the real world.

I wouldn't want to see really overweight instructors however we all carry all our weight differently some people will never have small frames

Did you mean that the way it reads? I think most of us were talking about whether we'd hire someone overweight - while I wouldn't, I personally don't care at all if I "see" them working in the gym.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Yep. That's the real world.

Did you mean that the way it reads? I think most of us were talking about whether we'd hire someone overweight - while I wouldn't, I personally don't care at all if I "see" them working in the gym.

The OP seems to be about seeing fat gym employees.

(I actually asked about this, since I thought that was the odd bit, not that someone might take apparent fitness into account when choosing a trainer. It was not clarified.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I haven't read the 300 something replies. But if I was presented with an overweight trainer and a fit, ideal weight one, I would choose the latter. Because he obviously practices what he preaches..
    Just because a person looks a certain way, that doesn't necessarily mean that said person practices what he or she preaches. It also doesn't address whether or not said person is qualified, has good references, gives sound advice, is affable and will be of help to you.

With that in mind, do you still think going by looks alone is wise?

Yes I do.

If someone is looking for an "ab workout", who are they going to choose to train them. .. The ripped trainer with a 6 pack or the muffin top trainer?
    In this case, personally I do judge a book by it's cover. As wrong or un pc as it may be..

But isn't that just projecting what YOU want for YOUR body on theirs - irrespective of whether that's a look they like for themselves, or can physically maintain/give enough time to for themselves year in year out? Or do you just need someone you can feel inferior to to keep you motivated to aspire to their build?

@WaterBunnie my thoughts on the matter don't run that deep. I'm not projecting, nor do I, or would feel inferior... I explained who I would choose and why. There are no psychological reasons, if anything it's common sense :smile: It is what it is, nothing more.