Does anything truly work?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

not sure how you get that, from this..

"So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people"

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Your thread title caught my attention because I do feel like nothing truly works. No guarantees anywhere. I once read a quote from a scientist saying that studies prove that a good way to gain weight is to go on a calorie restricted diet for a period of time first. In other words, diets are a real problem in that we are statistically likely to regain the weight and then some. So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people. Obviously I'm here believing I can be a statistical minority. I have vowed not to let myself get overly hungry, or to take any other extreme measures to lose this weight, and I have vowed to pay attention to the quality and quantity of food I'm eating forever and ever amen.

wut...??

CICO only fails when one stops eating in a deficit, there is no "time lapse" on CICO...

Werd!

I think some people assume that once they get down to their goal weight, they no longer have to watch how much they eat.

I think the person meant that while a calorie deficit is necessary for weight loss, eventually some people end up having to change the way they eat in order to be successful - just eating "less" isn't enough. They have to focus on eating more whole foods, or preparing foods at home, or eating certain foods less frequently in order to stay on track. Basically, focusing on just calorie intake for a time may work, but it will be the actual lifestyle change that will yield results, and for those people, the quality of food intake matters. At least that's how I'm reading it.

not sure how you get that, from this..

"So, although CICO truly works initially, it only works for a limited period of time for many people"

in context, that poster is obviously using "CICO" as a shorthand for just eating less than they're outputting, with no attention paid to food quality in particular.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

wut...??

Werd!

But that still falls under CICO doesn't it? When I first started MFP the first thing I looked at was how much I was eating. I realized that eating out a lot was really cutting into the deficit I was trying to create so I started bringing in my own homemade lunches to work & cooking more BUT I only did that because I wanted to get more bang for my caloric buck. I made those changes because of CICO, that's a part of CICO not something separate. I went into it knowing it was going to be a lifestyle change and assumed most people did too. I guess I was wrong.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    msiamjan wrote: »
    Definitely get the cookies and such out of the house. Truly, the kids don't need them and they are not healthy for them either.
    Yeah, no.

Eating isn't just about "need," IMO. And some fat and carbs from something other than avocado and broccoli can be perfectly healthy, too.

Yes, but, as someone who has had a weight problem all my life, I felt that teaching my kids that sweets and such are for a rare treat, not something to keep around for snacking, would help them more in the long run. It's not necessary to keep thing like that around the house--my point is that not having them at home would help the OP and won't hurt the kids. No doubt they get lots of sweets and other fatty foods elsewhere.

See, we don't eat only what's "necessary," though. Peach cobbler isn't -- strictly speaking, anyway -- necessary. We eat it a lot this time of year. With ice cream!

I think I'm doing my kids more help in the long run by teaching them not to worry about particular foods but to pay attention to their diet as a whole. People often want forbidden fruit simply because it's forbidden.

Much like keeping something in the house isn't necessary, keeping it out of the house isn't necessary.

Peach cobbler and ice cream for snacks? Or dessert?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Definitely get the cookies and such out of the house. Truly, the kids don't need them and they are not healthy for them either.
    Yeah, no.

Eating isn't just about "need," IMO. And some fat and carbs from something other than avocado and broccoli can be perfectly healthy, too.

Yes, but, as someone who has had a weight problem all my life, I felt that teaching my kids that sweets and such are for a rare treat, not something to keep around for snacking, would help them more in the long run. It's not necessary to keep thing like that around the house--my point is that not having them at home would help the OP and won't hurt the kids. No doubt they get lots of sweets and other fatty foods elsewhere.

See, we don't eat only what's "necessary," though. Peach cobbler isn't -- strictly speaking, anyway -- necessary. We eat it a lot this time of year. With ice cream!

I think I'm doing my kids more help in the long run by teaching them not to worry about particular foods but to pay attention to their diet as a whole. People often want forbidden fruit simply because it's forbidden.

Much like keeping something in the house isn't necessary, keeping it out of the house isn't necessary.

Yes.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Hmm, now I want peach cobbler and ice cream.

Now I want peach cobbler ice cream on my warm peach cobbler. With peaches on top.
  • tincanonastring
    edited August 2015
    Options
    wrong thread. stupid multiple tabs...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

wut...??

Werd!

But that still falls under CICO doesn't it? When I first started MFP the first thing I looked at was how much I was eating. I realized that eating out a lot was really cutting into the deficit I was trying to create so I started bringing in my own homemade lunches to work & cooking more BUT I only did that because I wanted to get more bang for my caloric buck. I made those changes because of CICO, that's a part of CICO not something separate. I went into it knowing it was going to be a lifestyle change and assumed most people did too. I guess I was wrong.

I don't think you're wrong, I think it's more just a matter of how people think about things. Obviously, a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight, no one is disputing that. I think the point was that for some people, thinking just in terms of CICO doesn't work for them, even knowing the science is there. They need to focus on the type of food they eat, or activity level, or whatever. Yes, it's all part of the same thing, you're correct. But some people have to focus on the behavioral aspect more to be successful rather than the straight numbers. Not everyone loves counting calories (which I think may have been what that user meant by CICO), so those people just focus on making the changes in their life to be sustainable, rather than the measuring/weighing/counting. Who knows, I might be reading it wrong, hopefully goldthistime will come back and explain.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yeah, no.

Yes. It's made for dessert. The leftovers are eaten as snacks.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You have to really be in this for the long haul. It's a new way to live and a different way from how you've been living. If you set MFP to lose .5lbs a week, you'd lose 26lbs in a YEAR. That is 12 months of committing to a new lifestyle to lose 26lbs. You can accelerate this by adding exercise and not eating back all those calories to go up to 1lb or 1.5lb maybe.

It's not going to happen quickly. 3 weeks in, 6 weeks in, you're not going to see such dramatic weight loss that you look like a whole new person. 6 months? Yes, possibly.

You have to stick to eating under your calorie burn and do it consistently and do it over an extended period of time until you start upping calories to switch to maintenance.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1,200 calories too... but... After I burn around 350+ calories walking a night, I will consume about 1,500 calories. I HAVE tried that garcina camblalidfja;lskdjfa;d stuff. I did it twice a day for an entire month, and didn't skip a day. I got a free trial, I only paid $5 shipping, so I thought I would see if it worked, for SCIENCE! It didn't. I didn't lose a single pound. I called them my "fake diet pills" from the beginning, and I wasn't even really expecting to see results. To be honest, once I started counting calories and walking almost every day, I have lost 17lbs-ish in 7 weeks. I still hang out with both Ben&Jerry, and we get Pizza, pasta, all that good stuff, and I have still been losing.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know about WW. I was on it for 3 months and reached my goal weight, dropping 32 pounds. I gained it all back and more when I stopped it though. The only thing that'll work, at least what worked for me and several others I know, is knowing what you actually need nutritionally and working in, and minimize what you don't need. It's that simple. Until you drive by a place that has the best chili cheese fries in town!! I personally eat mostly whole foods.
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here is my typical diet.

Morning : Extra Lean Ham, Greek sauce sandwich. Coffee with Low Fat coffee mate (no sugar) 300 cal.
    Lunch: White rice, Stir Fried veggie, Chicken breast or Beef Shank (sometimes Salmon or Cod teriyaki) 700-800 Cal
    Dinner: same as lunch 700-800 Cal

Late night snack: Strawberry/ Cherry tomato/ Low fat yogurt, diet soda 200-300 cal.

I am eating 2200 cal per day. Sometimes, I go for a cheat meal with load of Japanese Sushi.

I found counting daily calorie is very troublesome. So I plan 3 days meal and counting 3 days total. It's like project budget, and I have to limit my intake within the budget.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Losing weight is possible. I wouldn't say its difficult, but it does take a commitment.

You don't need a program. It really is a matter of calories in vs out. Your body uses energy to keep you alive (heart beating, oxygen circulating, food digestion, other functions), energy to move you thru your day (activity) and then for intentional exercise. Some things are fairly universal. Like a guy and gal of the exact same height/weight/age: the guy will burn a higher # because of how guys tend to have a higher muscle mass. And it uses more energy to move a larger body.

Calories are the fuel source for your body's energy, and you fuel your body with food and drink. Personally I avoid calories from beverages, with the exception of milk, no sugar added juice from time to time. You don't have to avoid any particular food item unless you have medical/allergy reasons to do so. Its a question of how food choices fit into your needs or calorie 'budget'. Like your finances: if you spend more than you earn, your budget can get out of control quickly.

It was helpful for me to get an understanding of how/why my body uses energy. Look up a BMR calculator and put in your stats. Increase it by 25-30% to account for your daily activity. (So if your BMR is 1600, increasing by 25% would be 1600 x 1.25 = 2000.) This is how much your body needs - to maintain your weight - without counting exercise. Subtract 500 for 1 pound per week weight loss.

Then it becomes a matter of consistency and accuracy. Be honest with yourself about what you eat, how much: and log it all as accurately as possible. This means using a food scale, which is fast & easy once you get the hang of it. Every now and then if you feel you need a treat/break: add the 500 calories back in for the day and eat at maintenance. WHen I was losing I did this 1-2 times a month. Helped keep me sane lol.

If you are exercising, you may feel the need to eat a little extra. If you are weak, lethargic: your body isn't working well.

Last, give it a chance to work. I think you mentioned your new target at 1 pound loss rate would be 1590/day. Do this for 4-6 weeks. Then assess how you feel, and see how the scale is responding. Don't give up on the 'program' before it has a chance to work for you.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps-only you can decide how you like to eat. I often do well with small dinners, and snack thru the morning/afternoon. This works for me. Others may prefer small breakfast/lunch and a big dinner. There is no right or wrong.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Any of those diets that you mentioned will work if you stick to it 100%. The problem is as soon as you stop and go back to your old routine you will gain the weight. The diet is not the problem....it's your old routine. Commit to a different healthier routine for the rest of your life or you will gain it back. Period...that's it. If the "rest of your life" sounds painful then perhaps you should come to terms with your current weight because that's comfortable for you. Ultimately you will lose the weight when you get to the point you say, "that's enough".
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Any of those diets that you mentioned will work if you stick to it 100%. The problem is as soon as you stop and go back to your old routine you will gain the weight. The diet is not the problem....it's your old routine. Commit to a different healthier routine for the rest of your life or you will gain it back. Period...that's it. If the "rest of your life" sounds painful then perhaps you should come to terms with your current weight because that's comfortable for you. Ultimately you will lose the weight when you get to the point you say, "that's enough".

Exactly!!!!! That's why it's a good idea to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way. Even if you add exercise it should be something that you can see yourself doing for the long haul, not just long enough to get to your goal weight.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I lost weight - 100 pounds...and for three years, I have maintained this result.

It's simple actually, but also very hard.

The only reason we become overweight is by in-taking more calories than our bodies burn.
    That's it.
    And the only way to lose weight is by eating a diet with some kind of calorie deficit.
    That's it again.
    MFP recommends a number of daily calories for 1 pound of weight loss per week.
    I lost my weight, but it took just over 2 years.

You must take your time, set your goals, stick to a plan and stay motivated.
    Simple but hard!

Good Luck!
    <3