Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hot off the press from Brett Contreras...interesting reading

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26252837
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but isn't this terrible for your knees? Her knees are over her ankles and it's just seems like it will cause a lot of stress on her knees in the long run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What's the proper way to perform those squats?

If you're going past to depth- then you're going to cross the line of your toes- that's a fairly old adage that was made up off less than reputable studies- you're knees cross your toes going up stairs- it's not nearly the crisis the fitness industry once lead us to believe.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but isn't this terrible for your knees? Her knees are over her ankles and it's just seems like it will cause a lot of stress on her knees in the long run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What's the proper way to perform those squats?

Please read the thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I'm really assuming she's talking about the guy with 4 or 5 plates on a bar barely unhinging the hips. People who are taking the time to lift at a weight that promotes using good form don't fall into that category.

Hitting parallel and stopping at parallel isn't a half squat. Pretty substantial difference between hitting parallel and those who are ego lifting.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFC_2mFZg0

is not

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_GsNXF_Rzc

This is it right here. I agree 100% Not to mention I think Chad Wesley Smith is going deeper than parallel it's just hard to tell because he's so freaking massive! lol

Crap!!!! That was a RAW lift at that weight!!!! True strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hot off the press from Brett Contreras...interesting reading

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26252837

I saw him post about this on his IG. It basically found that doing a full ATG squat didn't work your glutes anymore than a parallel squat and that full, parallel and front squats work your glutes, quads, and hamstrings about the same even with using more weight on the parallel squat. He does still recommend doing the full range of motion though when squatting though.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm really assuming she's talking about the guy with 4 or 5 plates on a bar barely unhinging the hips. People who are taking the time to lift at a weight that promotes using good form don't fall into that category.

Hitting parallel and stopping at parallel isn't a half squat. Pretty substantial difference between hitting parallel and those who are ego lifting.

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsFC_2mFZg0

is not

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_GsNXF_Rzc

This is it right here. I agree 100% Not to mention I think Chad Wesley Smith is going deeper than parallel it's just hard to tell because he's so freaking massive! lol

Crap!!!! That was a RAW lift at that weight!!!! True strength.
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes sir, CWS is a beast!!! You should see his teammate Marisa Inda! She pulls 315 for reps and holds several records.
  • CaptainCentaur
    CaptainCentaur Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I squat with a wide stance going parallel or below and I also use the smith machine which I feel targets my glutes more plus I can focus on using my glutes to push upwards without have to worry about keeping my balance. It seems to be working. I think the deeper you go the more it targets your glutes so perhaps go as far deep as you personally feel you need to go.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Awesome video! Great info I have never seen anywhere else! Thanks for sharing :)
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go as low as i can with my *heels on the floor*. Which now is thighs against calves, as low as my fat body allows. ;)

I have an old knee injury (from doing lunges improperly) and stopping at parallel is harder on my knees than going all the way. Ultimately i see squats as more of a flexibility exercise. i don't intend to lift weight while squatting but i do want to retain back and ankle flexibility.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    kdt2013 wrote: »
    A full squat is below parallel by definition, however not everybody has the hip mobility to achieve this. As a general rule I would suggest going as far as your hips will allow, anything else and you will risk injury. You could try to improve hip mobility over time, but I wouldn't let it discourage anyone from adding weight. I've worked on bettering my hip mobility over time, when I reach plateaus and reduce weight I start by using my bettered range to work back up to the plateau weight. I can go lower all the way up the weight range because of focus on improving hip mobility. Even when struggling with hip mobility I have never experienced any issues with working glutes or any other worked muscle groups.

May I ask what stretches/exercises do you do to increase your mobility ? ESP for bad knees
  • marytherealjane
    marytherealjane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You want to go past parallel but if you are too flexible you can shoot past where your glutes are engaged and lose a lot of strength, making squats only work your quads.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When you all say that you go down slightly past parallel (or even to parallel) and then back up, are you consciously making the effort to reverse directions at that point or is that as far as you can go, at which point you automatically reverse directions? I always wonder that when this comes up.

I get to parallel or just past it and my left medial cruciate ligament starts to hurt so I stand back up. I can sit ATG without weights, so it's about not needing surgery sooner rather than later for me. (I have seen the MRI of my knees. The left is mush compared to the right and will need to be replaced some day.)