If you've been on Phentermine, what were your results?

Options

Replies

• avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    amb5128 wrote: »
    When I got pregnant, I was 198, and was pushing 300 the day I had my son. I began the phentermine when I was 216 on March 31, and today I am down to 183

Thank you for sharing!
  • avk9802
    Options
    bonsai89 wrote: »
    Will you lose weight? Sure. Will it be fast? Probably. Is it going to damage your body long-term? Yes, whether you want to believe it or not.

I searched high and low for a doctor to prescribe this crap to me for almost 10 years. I finally found one last year, started taking the meds, had a migraine for a week, heart palpitations, lost 15 pounds, started having uncontrollable phen-rages so I weaned off of them and never went back. It's not worth it.

You're already skinny!! And beautiful! Please don't be one of the pretty thin healthy girls that gets so crack skinny that they look disgusting. It's so sad and unnecessary.

Thank you for sharing!! If you're referring to my profile picture as skinny, I was then. That was my last transformation. 3 years down the road I've had another baby, and comfortable in my married life :/ I'm hoping this will kick start me and I know how to do it from then on out :)
  • avk9802
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    So far you have 6 very negative and 1 positive review. Which way are you leaning?

Not sure yet. Still doing research and such.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bonsai89 wrote: »
    Will you lose weight? Sure. Will it be fast? Probably. Is it going to damage your body long-term? Yes, whether you want to believe it or not.

I searched high and low for a doctor to prescribe this crap to me for almost 10 years. I finally found one last year, started taking the meds, had a migraine for a week, heart palpitations, lost 15 pounds, started having uncontrollable phen-rages so I weaned off of them and never went back. It's not worth it.

You're already skinny!! And beautiful! Please don't be one of the pretty thin healthy girls that gets so crack skinny that they look disgusting. It's so sad and unnecessary.

Ohh the phen rages... I am all too familiar with those. Don't miss them one bit. Definitely caused a strain in my relationship at the time.
  • lmrblafe
    lmrblafe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On it and no issues. Following nutrition plan and seeing doctor every week for progress check. Only for a couple of months to curb hunger and create better habits. Not for everyone and everything has side effects. Eat a lot of carrots, you turn orange! The decision is between you, your dr and your medical history. Good luck!
  • avk9802
    Options
    lmrblafe wrote: »
    On it and no issues. Following nutrition plan and seeing doctor every week for progress check. Only for a couple of months to curb hunger and create better habits. Not for everyone and everything has side effects. Eat a lot of carrots, you turn orange! The decision is between you, your dr and your medical history. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing!!
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    OP, is that you on your profile pic? If so, your doctor should be reported to the medical board....Phen is an amphetamine, and should only be prescribed to morbidlh obese people where the risk of being overweight is a lot bigger than the medication's.....

i agree with this no way should you have been prescribed that whats so ever!
  • blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine back in 1998 for about 7 or 8 months. I lost over 63lbs. I had many of the same side effects stated before (heart palpitations, dry mouth, headaches, hyperactivity, etc) but I kept on taking them. The day I went off the meds I started gaining weight back. I didn't learn my lesson and, after gaining a lot of weight and having a second child, I decided in 2007 to go back on them. I took the pills for a month and couldn't deal with the side effects so I stopped. I topped-out at 213 lbs and resigned myself to always being fat. Finally, in 2012, I decided to get on track and do this without pills, supplements, meal plans, etc. It was extremely tough, and I think the phentermine actually damaged my metabolism over the long-term. I've since lost over 73lbs with MFP, exercise, and healthier eating. No judgement here, but I really don't recommend the pills at all. Your experience may be different, but either way I wish you luck!
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I went on Phen THREE different times. I lost weight: 20-40 lbs each go round. I kept it off for a while too. But every time, I eventually went right back to gaining. Why? Because I didn't bother to learn how/what to eat or what to do to help my body. I honestly believed I could be lazy and not work out and take the pills and lose whenever I wanted. I figured that if I got "fat" again I could take the pills. (A closer look at my behavior and I now realize was in a binge-purge cycle.) Long story short- could they be helpful? Possibly, if used short term in conjunction with a diet and exercise program. Would I personally recommend them? No, never again.
  • avk9802
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    OP, is that you on your profile pic? If so, your doctor should be reported to the medical board....Phen is an amphetamine, and should only be prescribed to morbidlh obese people where the risk of being overweight is a lot bigger than the medication's.....

i agree with this no way should you have been prescribed that whats so ever!

Read the previous comments. I am obese right now in this point in my life.

Also I want to add that I suffer from severe sciatica and another reason for this medication is to help take the excess weight off of my back.
  • avk9802
    Options
    I went on Phen THREE different times. I lost weight: 20-40 lbs each go round. I kept it off for a while too. But every time, I eventually went right back to gaining. Why? Because I didn't bother to learn how/what to eat or what to do to help my body. I honestly believed I could be lazy and not work out and take the pills and lose whenever I wanted. I figured that if I got "fat" again I could take the pills. (A closer look at my behavior and I now realize was in a binge-purge cycle.) Long story short- could they be helpful? Possibly, if used short term in conjunction with a diet and exercise program. Would I personally recommend them? No, never again.

Thanks for sharing!
  • shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got them and while I didn't feel jittery I did become depressed which was one of the side effects my doctor told me about. Obviously it doesn't happen to everyone as my friend only felt super hyper but it made me feel like crap. I lost weight but decided my mental health was more important so I stopped taking them and gained it all back.....eventually.....but I also didn't do what I said I would which was get down a pant size or two and then begin to workout and eat better. I stopped taking them and continued to eat like s***. So if you're gonna use it, my suggestion is to use it as a stepping stone only.
  • allisonfox05
    allisonfox05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just curious how it's going?

I took them in 2012 half tablets for 2 mos & lost around 30lbs. I'm a picky eater so it was nice that I could eat something healthy (or healthier) & not be starving & binge on junk right after. I also exercised while on the pill and continued to do so.

After stopping the phen, the weight still came off, but much more slowly. Unfortunately, I ended up finding out I had thyroid cancer & needing 2 surgeries within a week & ended up with some complications that prohibited me from exercising for nearly 4 months.....unfortunately after 4 months laid up in bed and I gained it all back. I always wonder if I could've kept it up long term if it weren't for my damn thyroid!
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ive used it before...the long term effects are terrible...you had a baby...congrats...it took time to gain the weight it will take time to lose it...i lost weight with phentermine and when i stopped taking it because i like to sleep at night and not feel jittery or have my heart feel like its going to jump out of my chest....i gained the weight back and then some...there is no substitute for hard work or a jumpstart for hardwork...watch what goes in to your mouth and exercise
  • amazon35
    amazon35 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's all about your thought process. I used amphet salts for my ADD for 3 months. Lost 30lb-40 lbs. BUT during those 3 months I used it to learn how to control and change my eating and relationship with food. Even when I wasn't hungry I still ate. But I was able to abide by portion control and made smarter choices. I used the energy to go to the gym on a regular basis. I used it to coach me on being a healthier person. I haven't been on it in 2 months and I haven't slipped back into my old ways and I'm still loosing and keeping my routines. SO if you are using it as a miracle pill, it's not going to work. If you use it as a tool to learn how to be a healthier you than by all means have at it!
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am on them now...they are not a miracle pill. I put in ALOT of hard work...time...and dedication. What I do like is they help me not feel the urgent need to stuff my face, which in turn let's me make good choices and learn how/what to eat that is healthy. I am on another forum for phentetmine users and so many just take the pill but don't change their lifestyle... And yes when they come off they will probably gain it all back. It is a TOOL not a cure..... As far as side effects.... I had dry mouth for first couple weeks...now no side effects.... Regularly checked BP and blood work and had an EKG before starting to insure my heart was healthy... Its all good as long as you're monitored and you use it to help you change
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You're not going to find many people that agree with pills in myfitnesspal. Pills have never worked for me. But if you're going to take anything make sure you're using it as a tool, not a solution.
  • jcmeast0305
    jcmeast0305 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doc had prescribed them to me years ago when I was 210 and I'm 5'4". I lost around 30 pounds in 6 months with diet and lifting weights. I had to go in monthly to weigh in and get a refill. After stopping the pills I was able to maintain for a while but many seasons have went since then.

I have gained it all back and am at 245 now trying to start again. I would honestly try phentermine again but I am already on adderall for ADHD and the two combined would be another phen-fen-like combo. I tried Belviq last fall to jump start and that was the worst thing ever. I ended up being more hungry than I was to start with.

Good luck.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have taken them before and they worked great while you are on them. No appetite and extreme energy. I did have trouble sleeping at night and a jittery feeling in the first few days. I lost weight quickly and effortlessly (I did work out) however as soon as I stopped taking the pills I gained all the weight back plus some, and am now bigger than I have ever been in my life and trying to lose weight just by limiting what I eat and also exercising. For me, the pills did more harm than good, although I am not opposed to trying them again, only after I have already established a healthier routine.
  • momokitty1992
    momokitty1992 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First off my doctor told me this medicine was meant for people who could not ignore cravings, had low metabolisms and really needed some help getting into good habits and were not meant to be diet pills at all. Crutches are real things, they are meant to help people when they need it until they get better and if used exactly as intended they are very helpful. There is no reason you can not get a bit of outside help until you are ready to do it alone you just need to keep that mindset of 'this is to assist, I need to still do the work and keep doing it even after the assist is gone.'

I never got the jitters, insomnia, or increased heart rate or any other side effects really. In fact for me it slowed everything down. I don't lose weight just taking the pills I really just stay the same, what the pill did for me is they killed the constant need to eat whether I was hungry or not. I still get hungry when I am actually hungry but I don't feel like I need to eat 24/7 like I used to. On it for some crazy reason I feel calmer, more in control, I stopped having anxiety attacks and crazy mood swings and I have way more focus.

I take half the recommended amount and I diet and exercise and am losing weight slowly but before that was all impossible. I was a mess who would keep eating even if it hurt because I was emotionally distraught or panicking and some part of my brain truly believed that more pizza would make everything better. Have you ever felt that if you did not eat a candy bar in the next five minute you'd literally die? Your heart pounding and trouble breathing and fight or flight in full over drive? It was not a fun time.

I know these are atypical results but this is my experience. Before anyone tries to tell me that I may have a disorder that probably needs a real diagnoses, I know and I want to see someone about it, but I currently can't do so.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!