"Toning" is a deception

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    But all in all I'm not sure why its worth bringing up the toning subject
    For me, it's because I believe it's worth relaying correct information. Continued acceptance just let's it continue.
    Just as of recently, weightlifting was just thought as putting on muscle so many women avoided it. If that thought continued, we'd still be living with it. With the internet, more and more females are now finding out that they can enhance what figure they have with weight training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    No don't sticky it. I use the words toning, building, strengthen, muscular... all of them and they all mean the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand the ideas behind words.

If someone wants to use the word 'tone' to get fitter and healthier then there is nothing wrong with that.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/home-toning-workout.aspx
    Not disparaging on whether or not people use the word "tone" to encourage themselves to exercise. Just disparaging on the actual meaning. Whether people use it or not, I don't believe it's incorrect to inform others that the word is a deception in fitness.

If I wrote an article and labeled one "muscle conditioning" and the other "toning workout", I would bet dollars to donuts that the "toning" one would be viewed much more by many more females than the "muscle conditioning" one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am confused about the correct terminology for what I want to do. I have read that what I think I am doing is impossible. I am eating at a deficit and losing weight, 45 pounds since March 8, 2015. I was doing mostly aerobic exercise but now have added what my physical therapist refers to as strength training. I was able to increase reps, intensity and weight, to me this would indicate that I am indeed increasing my strength. The last 2 weeks, I have had an injury that put most of my aerobic activity on hold so I am doing strength training exclusively. My calorie deficit has gone down but my weight loss continues at a healthy pace and inches are also decreasing in body measurements. Something about my metabolism has changed. People say muscle burns more calories than fat on one hand, but also say you can't gain muscle while eating in a deficit. How do I describe in correct terms what is happening?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am confused about the correct terminology for what I want to do. I have read that what I think I am doing is impossible. I am eating at a deficit and losing weight, 45 pounds since March 8, 2015. I was doing mostly aerobic exercise but now have added what my physical therapist refers to as strength training. I was able to increase reps, intensity and weight, to me this would indicate that I am indeed increasing my strength. The last 2 weeks, I have had an injury that put most of my aerobic activity on hold so I am doing strength training exclusively. My calorie deficit has gone down but my weight loss continues at a healthy pace and inches are also decreasing in body measurements. Something about my metabolism has changed. People say muscle burns more calories than fat on one hand, but also say you can't gain muscle while eating in a deficit. How do I describe in correct terms what is happening?
    You're still just losing fat weight. Exercise is for fitness and health and NOT needed to lose weight. That's more dependent on CICO. However, exercise will help to create a deficit and strength training will reduce the amount of muscle you lose while losing weight. Like most you're just trying to get lean and fit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

although there are some instances where you can actually build mass while in a deficit, like if you are brand new to weight training...

I think what's mostly going on is the fact that you can condition a muscle (more endurance and even strength) without actually adding muscle mass.

you see that you are lifting more but there is not a 1 to 1 relationship between mass building and strength
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ahhh but I like the word 'toning' :smile:
    we're just so used to hearing it nowadays, its just a term people use generally....

It is still incorrect though.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ahhh but I like the word 'toning' :smile:
    we're just so used to hearing it nowadays, its just a term people use generally....

It is still incorrect though.
    Just like when someone says "My house just got robbed." Most would know what happened, but the terminology is incorrect. Again, nothing wrong with letting people know the correct terminology. Whether they use it or not is up to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was literally just researching this subject and debating whether I should post a question to the community, but this takes care of it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    So it's a matter of semantics

nope, because there is no such thing as toning…

maybe you should re-read the OP….

dictionary disagrees with you

give greater strength or firmness to (the body or a part of it).

semantics
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.
    Incorrect. Length of muscles are determined when you're conceived. You can't lengthen them or "bunch" them up any more than one can increase one's height by hopefully drinking more milk (remember that commercial). It's information like this from yoga instructors that need to be refuted because physiology doesn't actually work that way. If a weight lifter looks "bunched" up, it's because they have more muscle in their arms than one who does yoga. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    My cheap radio has "tone"

• yopeeps025
    Options
    No don't sticky it. I use the words toning, building, strengthen, muscular... all of them and they all mean the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand the ideas behind words.

If someone wants to use the word 'tone' to get fitter and healthier then there is nothing wrong with that.

Then I can come ask you what you mean every single time.

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Incorrect. Length of muscles are determined when you're conceived. You can't lengthen them or "bunch" them up any more than one can increase one's height by hopefully drinking more milk (remember that commercial). It's information like this from yoga instructors that need to be refuted because physiology doesn't actually work that way. If a weight lifter looks "bunched" up, it's because they have more muscle in their arms than one who does yoga. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Indeed.

"weight lifters" (and I'm guessing you mean bodybuilders) don't likely get those muscles from improper headstands.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

although there are some instances where you can actually build mass while in a deficit, like if you are brand new to weight training...

I think what's mostly going on is the fact that you can condition a muscle (more endurance and even strength) without actually adding muscle mass.

you see that you are lifting more but there is not a 1 to 1 relationship between mass building and strength

I need the weight training for dummies version, please explain the difference between building and strengthening a muscle?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Then I can come ask you what you mean every single time.
    Link says "when squatting, don't let knees pass your toes". Old information. And exercises are noted as "toning" curls, or "toning" shoulder exercise. They are called by their correct names.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Wut?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Wut?

Is she talking about traps? IDK
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

102174-I-award-you-no-points-and-may-OH3m.gif
  • 150FNG
    150FNG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great stuff Ninerbuff