"Toning" is a deception

Options

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Somewhere after 1993 it must have been added to the dictionary because my Merriam Webster from 1993 doesn't have that listed.
    What they do have is tonus - Greek for tension, act of stretching.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

although there are some instances where you can actually build mass while in a deficit, like if you are brand new to weight training...

I think what's mostly going on is the fact that you can condition a muscle (more endurance and even strength) without actually adding muscle mass.

you see that you are lifting more but there is not a 1 to 1 relationship between mass building and strength

I need the weight training for dummies version, please explain the difference between building and strengthening a muscle?

You can strengthen a muscle without it actually getting bigger- it just gets more efficient at moving the load.

Making it bigger actually makes a large mass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

tumblr_mbmomxzaQE1rc2vv5o1_500.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options

although there are some instances where you can actually build mass while in a deficit, like if you are brand new to weight training...

I think what's mostly going on is the fact that you can condition a muscle (more endurance and even strength) without actually adding muscle mass.

you see that you are lifting more but there is not a 1 to 1 relationship between mass building and strength

I need the weight training for dummies version, please explain the difference between building and strengthening a muscle?
    One can add strength without adding size. This happens quite often with people in deficit/maintenance. Building muscle would require a surplus of calories because it's improbable to build new tissue from nothing.
    Reps and sets will play into this too depending on what you're trying to achieve.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Somewhere after 1993 it must have been added to the dictionary because my Merriam Webster from 1993 doesn't have that listed.
    What they do have is tonus - Greek for tension, act of stretching.
    Cambridge
    tone noun (TIGHTNESS)

the healthy tightness of the body, especially the muscles:

Merriam Webster

Definition of TONUS

: tone 9a; especially : a state of partial contraction characteristic of normal muscle
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Very well thought out post. I always lift heavy 3 days a week at the gym. If I don't I leave there feeling like I haven't accomplished anything.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    "Lean muscle" and make the muscles "longer" are a couple more that hurt the ears.

I think longer muscles actually mean something. Weight lifters tend not to have longer muscles that's why they get all that muscle bunching up in an ugly way above their shoulders. I learnt about this in yoga. When you do a headstand there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you do it the wrong way you would get those bunched up muscles but if you do it the right way you won't. Its been a while since i've done a headstand but i think the right way is to push into your elbows rather than clamping up around your neck to help you keep balanced.

wow. what a pile of hogwash
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    In the eighties, we were led to believe that doing a kazillion reps with the tiniest little weights was good for us. That seems fairly useless to me. I tried it back in the day. You never get stronger doing it. I would rather lift a heavier weight that I can do 8-10 reps of and get my whole upper body routine done fairly quickly than flap my arms up and down and back and forth for an hour or more with teensy tiny ridiculous pink weights. I still have friends with those 1, 2, and 3 lb candy colored weights, too... after all these years. I still see women in the gym afraid to put more than 20 lb on the machines. One day women will stop worrying that they're going to look like men by lifting, and not be afraid to get under the hood of their own car, and, and, and.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    In the eighties, we were led to believe that doing a kazillion reps with the tiniest little weights was good for us. That seems fairly useless to me. I tried it back in the day. You never get stronger doing it. I would rather lift a heavier weight that I can do 8-10 reps of and get my whole upper body routine done fairly quickly than flap my arms up and down and back and forth for an hour or more with teensy tiny ridiculous pink weights. I still have friends with those 1, 2, and 3 lb candy colored weights, too... after all these years. I still see women in the gym afraid to put more than 20 lb on the machines. One day women will stop worrying that they're going to look like men by lifting, and not be afraid to get under the hood of their own car, and, and, and.

carry on

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. Haven't seen someone claim yoga overrides genetics in awhile :huh:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Weight lifters who have "muscle bunching up" have more muscle than those without "bunching up" muscles. It seems to make sense that increased muscle mass is going to give the appearance of larger muscles, correct?

As for long and lean muscles and yoga, I'll defer to Bret Contreras in Long, Lean Muscles: Oh, the Irony.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That doesn't make sense.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Furbuster wrote: »
    No don't sticky it. I use the words toning, building, strengthen, muscular... all of them and they all mean the same thing to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who understand the ideas behind words.

If someone wants to use the word 'tone' to get fitter and healthier then there is nothing wrong with that.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/home-toning-workout.aspx
    Not disparaging on whether or not people use the word "tone" to encourage themselves to exercise. Just disparaging on the actual meaning. Whether people use it or not, I don't believe it's incorrect to inform others that the word is a deception in fitness.

If I wrote an article and labeled one "muscle conditioning" and the other "toning workout", I would bet dollars to donuts that the "toning" one would be viewed much more by many more females than the "muscle conditioning" one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Mmm you could well be right about the female one and the two articles.

My comments were a general poke of my dislike about what is considered linguistically correct or incorrect. I'm a great believer in not telling people what's wrong and what's correct about language and terminology. Different words mean different things to different people and that's what niggles me.

Language is also fluid as you know and there maybe a new word next week....by the average joe's, the scientists or professionals.

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Incorrect. Length of muscles are determined when you're conceived. You can't lengthen them or "bunch" them up any more than one can increase one's height by hopefully drinking more milk (remember that commercial). It's information like this from yoga instructors that need to be refuted because physiology doesn't actually work that way. If a weight lifter looks "bunched" up, it's because they have more muscle in their arms than one who does yoga. That's all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If you don't think nutrition has anything to do with gene expression, then you feel asleep in high school biology
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

I guess its going to have to take someone more knowledgeable then I to truly give you a scientific explanation.

This is pretty much the extent of my knowledge:

as you train with a muscle, you establish a better neurological pathway. Your brain gets better at recruiting existing muscle fibers. more muscle fibers actively working means you can lift more weight. so while you're not adding muscle mass, you're using more of what you have and therefore you can do more work.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i guess my point was, sticky it or don't sticky it, its not going to stop the endless SPAM. i guess maybe i should have said 'nice try'?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i guess my point was, sticky it or don't sticky it, its not going to stop the endless SPAM. i guess maybe i should have said 'nice try'?

it should be a sticky to atleast reduce the amount of the same posts re toning we have each day.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Wow.........just wow. Sound like something that Tracey Anderson would say.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm just thinking that if I did a headstand the wrong way, yes, my neck muscles would probably bunch up in an "ow, that hurt" kind of way but not in an "oh wow, look at her traps" kind of way.