So what the heck is clean eating, anyway?

Options
Ponkeen
Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
Is it just generically healthy? Is it all sustainable organic? I generally eat what I consider to be healthy food (veggies, good quality meats and cheeses, whole grains, very limited sweets on occasion)- am I already 'eating clean,' or what?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everyone will give you their own definition. There's no consensus as to what "clean eating" is. Personally, I don't bother with it and focus on moderation, getting my nutrients in and enjoying treats when I can.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Everyone will give you their own definition. There's no consensus as to what "clean eating" is. Personally, I don't bother with it and focus on moderation, getting my nutrients in and enjoying treats when I can.

Okay- that's what I figured, but wasn't sure if I was just missing something.
    Thanks!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »

Okay- that's what I figured, but wasn't sure if I was just missing something.
    Thanks!

Yup, for some people it's Paleo with all sorts of meat and no grains. Others think raw vegan is clean food. Then others think any food in it's natural state. Usually less processed food is in there *somewhere*, but not always, and it's about the only thing that most clean eaters have in common.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

+1 ^^^
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is no concrete definition. Generally, you can sub in the word "healthy" and get the gist, but there are almost as many definitions as there are people using the word. If you REALLY want to know, you have to ask the person what they mean, exactly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" will be defined subjectively by whomever you ask. There is no definitive answer since there are many approaches to how people eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much whatever you think it is since everyone you all will have a different definition. I am not a clean eater, but if I were to follow it I would use Tosca Reno's definition. I like her books and website and definition of clean eating seems reasonable and her plan wound be easy to follow.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Is it just generically healthy? Is it all sustainable organic? I generally eat what I consider to be healthy food (veggies, good quality meats and cheeses, whole grains, very limited sweets on occasion)- am I already 'eating clean,' or what?
    Yep. Exactly. Those are the right foods for you. <3

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me means I didn't drop it on the floor!
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters - from what I have observed it's an umbrella term for various diets that are generally wholefood and less manufactured foodstuffs. Everyone is different but with a common goal if you like....
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Clean eating to me means I didn't drop it on the floor!

As long as i can't see all the cat hair on it, I'll eat it anyway....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Yep. Exactly. Those are the right foods for you. <3

I agree that's a good way to eat. It likely doesn't count as "clean" by the usual definition -- no processed foods -- as cheese is processed, whole grains are processed, meat is generally processed (obviously stuff like boneless, skinless chicken breast, although I buy from a farm and even then everything must go to a processor before being sold--of course, for some reason meat usually gets a pass often even more processed stuff like bacon or deli turkey). The oddest is when people start claiming it means nothing with a label, as even the eggs I buy at the farm or the meat and dairy have labels, as does oatmeal, etc.

So anyway like others I find the "clean" thing unhelpful, as the terminology doesn't mean much (and food isn't really clean or not--it's clearly chosen to be insulting), and because processed foods vary so widely. I generally prefer to cook from whole foods (which is a somewhat different issue than focusing on nutrient dense foods, as both whole and processed foods can be more or less nutrient dense). I do find, though, that a number of processed foods help me reach my goals, including smoked salmon, greek yogurt (plain), cottage cheese, occasional protein powder, dried pasta (whole wheat), dried beans, oats, etc. And some processed foods are just delicious like, well, cheese.

So my preference is simply to focus on having an overall healthy, balanced diet.
  • Furbuster
    Options
    @lemurcat12 why do you find it insulting? I'm curious. The word clean is used in lifting I believe? Is it the same for that? I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten* I am genuinely interested in why....
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 why do you find it insulting? I'm curious. The word clean is used in lifting I believe? Is it the same for that? I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten* I am genuinely interested in why....

Doing a clean in lifting doesn't insinuate that all other lifts are unclean and should be shunned.

If I walk up to someone and ask for diet advise and they tell me "you need to eat clean, stop eating all that crap" it is said to be insulting. Shame you into eating something else. Especially when that "crap" is your steak, or some bread, or pretty standard fare that is considered healthy by most of the world. I can't count the number of times people say something is "garbage" without understanding what they are talking about. Thinking HFCS is garbage, but praising Agave nectar, all while bashing fructose.
  • Furbuster
    Options
    If someone said that then it's not the word - it's just because they are bloody rude!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree with a lot of people here. I believe the majority of my diet is clean. To me, eating clean is eating fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, nuts/seeds, some cheese when I want, etc. I can't eat grains, but if I could I'd put things like brown rice or steel cut oats on my list. I don't eat baked goods and skip the majority of the aisles in my supermarket, as things like packaged cookies, cakes, crackers, etc are not clean to me.

However, people take things to the extreme.
    • "Oh you only have an 80% clean diet? Mine is 100%!"
    • "Oh, you have a 100% clean diet, but is your food organic?"
    • "My food is not only organic, it's locally grown!"
    • "Oh, yours is organic and locally grown, but do you consume raw foods only?"

So many people feel the need to one up each other or put other people's eating habits down to make themselves feel superior. People should do whatever works for them. I do not eat all organic food. If I want a piece of dark chocolate, I'm going to have a piece even if it's not considered clean eating. As long as I see results I want, that's what matters to me.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of people here. I believe the majority of my diet is clean. To me, eating clean is eating fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, nuts/seeds, some cheese when I want, etc. I can't eat grains, but if I could I'd put things like brown rice or steel cut oats on my list. I don't eat baked goods and skip the majority of the aisles in my supermarket, as things like packaged cookies, cakes, crackers, etc are not clean to me.

However, people take things to the extreme.
    • "Oh you only have an 80% clean diet? Mine is 100%!"
    • "Oh, you have a 100% clean diet, but is your food organic?"
    • "My food is not only organic, it's locally grown!"
    • "Oh, yours is organic and locally grown, but do you consume raw foods only?"

So many people feel the need to one up each other or put other people's eating habits down to make themselves feel superior. People should do whatever works for them. I do not eat all organic food. If I want a piece of dark chocolate, I'm going to have a piece even if it's not considered clean eating. As long as I see results I want, that's what matters to me.

I only eat raw beets that I grow myself and fertilize with my own beet poop.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It means whatever you want it to mean. For me I think it means lots of fruit, nuts, produce and less stuff that's deep fried or comes in a box. To each their own.
  • Spook421
    Spook421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much whatever you think it is since everyone you all will have a different definition. I am not a clean eater, but if I were to follow it I would use Tosca Reno's definition. I like her books and website and definition of clean eating seems reasonable and her plan wound be easy to follow.

• Spook421
    Spook421 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of Tosca Reno's books and agree on all counts.