Any advice on slimming down calves?

Options

Replies

• BlahUnderpants
    BlahUnderpants Posts: 33 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    My only advice would hit up Macys just before spring. They have HUGE boot sales so you can try a bunch on. Even "wide calf" boots don't fit me most of the time so I have to try all the biggest looking ones to find ones that fit. I have the dreaded cankle where boots, even most wide calf ones, don't zip up more than an inch. Acceptance is all you can do.

I can never find my size at Macy's. I usually have to order online, which is hit or miss.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You could just stop wearing boots? :p Seriously, as others have said "toning" simply means losing enough fat so that the muscle underneath shows. It's not really a "thing." Your only real option is to lose fat until your calves are the size you want. Of course, if they're like mine, they won't ever be of normal size. I have practically zero fat on my calves (most of my fat goes on my hips and thighs) and they are still almost 15" around. They are, and always have been, almost solid muscle and larger than average. To the amusement of my male lifting partner, I refuse to work them while strength training because they'll just get bigger. His calves are only slightly bigger, he works them a couple of times each week and he's more than a little jealous. I keep telling him I'd happily trade. LOL

When I was younger I despised my calves. I would have told you they were my biggest flaw. I had a lot of problems with the tight at the ankle jeans that were fashionable and I certainly could never roll up a pair of pants more than a couple of inches. I'm not much of a boot wearer (living in the desert might have something to do with that) so I haven't had your specific issue but I know exactly how you feel. Sadly, our genetics have much more to do with the size of specific body parts than anything we can influence.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Giolis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, "toning" is a made up word. You either have muscle or you don't. Muscle is muscle. No such thing as lean muscle either.

See the tread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception/p1

In my mind, "toning" is building muscle. So maybe that isn't the best choice of words either. So exercises that that build calf muscles would be fine.

I guess I will just stick to cycling and add in come calf lifts or something.
    If you exercise your calf muscles, your calves will get bigger. That's the point being made. You exercise the muscle, the muscle grows bigger in response, the increased amount of muscle takes up more space.

• BlahUnderpants
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    You could just stop wearing boots? :p Seriously, as others have said "toning" simply means losing enough fat so that the muscle underneath shows. It's not really a "thing." Your only real option is to lose fat until your calves are the size you want. Of course, if they're like mine, they won't ever be of normal size. I have practically zero fat on my calves (most of my fat goes on my hips and thighs) and they are still almost 15" around. They are, and always have been, almost solid muscle and larger than average. To the amusement of my male lifting partner, I refuse to work them while strength training because they'll just get bigger. His calves are only slightly bigger, he works them a couple of times each week and he's more than a little jealous. I keep telling him I'd happily trade. LOL

When I was younger I despised my calves. I would have told you they were my biggest flaw. I had a lot of problems with the tight at the ankle jeans that were fashionable and I certainly could never roll up a pair of pants more than a couple of inches. I'm not much of a boot wearer (living in the desert might have something to do with that) so I haven't had your specific issue but I know exactly how you feel. Sadly, our genetics have much more to do with the size of specific body parts than anything we can influence.

I would be quite alright with 15" calves... As I said in my OP, I am well aware that I will never be in the average category.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    My only advice would hit up Macys just before spring. They have HUGE boot sales so you can try a bunch on. Even "wide calf" boots don't fit me most of the time so I have to try all the biggest looking ones to find ones that fit. I have the dreaded cankle where boots, even most wide calf ones, don't zip up more than an inch. Acceptance is all you can do.

I can never find my size at Macy's. I usually have to order online, which is hit or miss.

Meh, I got my first pair of boots ever at the age of 34 and only because they were mukaluks so they were just stretchy sweater material on top. Not being able to wear boots isn't that big of a deal.
  • SueInAz
    Options

I would be quite alright with 15" calves... As I said in my OP, I am well aware that I will never be in the average category.

I wasn't implying that I thought you weren't. Just offering a bit of empathy since I'm in the same boat.

I know 15" isn't that big in the grand scheme of things but I'm also not overweight. If I were significantly overweight, my calves would be much, much bigger because they are big to start with. I guess the point is, there's hope. Just keep at the weight loss and they'll shrink. Don't do strength exercises that target your calves, though. They'll probably just get bigger if you do. Focus on the fat loss part of the equation.
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options

I wasn't implying that I thought you weren't. Just offering a bit of empathy since I'm in the same boat.

I know 15" isn't that big in the grand scheme of things but I'm also not overweight. If I were significantly overweight, my calves would be much, much bigger because they are big to start with. I guess the point is, there's hope. Just keep at the weight loss and they'll shrink. Don't do strength exercises that target your calves, though. They'll probably just get bigger if you do. Focus on the fat loss part of the equation.

Just looked at your profile. Great job on your weight loss.
  • SueInAz
    Options

Just looked at your profile. Great job on your weight loss.

Thanks! I go up and down. I've been on MFP for 4.5 years now. I'm more focused on strength training than weight loss at the moment. Except on my calves. ;)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately, "toning" is a made up word. You either have muscle or you don't. Muscle is muscle. No such thing as lean muscle either.

See the tread below:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception/p1

In my mind, "toning" is building muscle. So maybe that isn't the best choice of words either. So exercises that that build calf muscles would be fine.

I have found that when I started running my legs (actually hips to calves) slimmed down dramatically. A great percentage of the fat I lost during the first few months of running (jogging actually) came from my lower body. I know you can't spot reduce, so I don't really have an explanation for it...but it is what it is. I have seen people who walk for exercise get similar results, btw. Long bouts of cardio can work wonders.

I wouldn't recommend sprints though...sprints built more muscle for me...my thighs actually got a bit bigger after a couple of months of sprints and then leveled out. Sprints, and hills, are known to build muscle.

I also wouldn't focus too much on things that build calf muscle...calf raises, etc. Just focus on cardio, watch your diet, and your calves will get smaller as you lose. They may or may not ever be as small as you want them, but they will get smaller than they are now.

I used to have to wear wide calf boots as well. At my heaviest my calves were 16.5 inches. The first 60 pounds I lost my calves did not change AT ALL. Then over the next 15 pounds I lost two whole inches. And they would periodically get smaller after that.

Btw, research grape seed extract if you haven't already. You may want to consider giving it a try. I know a couple of people who got significant relief from varicose veins after using it for a while.
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

See the tread below:

I have found that when I started running my legs (actually hips to calves) slimmed down dramatically. A great percentage of the fat I lost during the first few months of running (jogging actually) came from my lower body. I know you can't spot reduce, so I don't really have an explanation for it...but it is what it is. I have seen people who walk for exercise get similar results, btw. Long bouts of cardio can work wonders.

I wouldn't recommend sprints though...sprints built more muscle for me...my thighs actually got a bit bigger after a couple of months of sprints and then leveled out. Sprints, and hills, are known to build muscle.

I also wouldn't focus too much on things that build calf muscle...calf raises, etc. Just focus on cardio, watch your diet, and your calves will get smaller as you lose. They may or may not ever be as small as you want them, but they will get smaller than they are now.

I used to have to wear wide calf boots as well. At my heaviest my calves were 16.5 inches. The first 60 pounds I lost my calves did not change AT ALL. Then over the next 15 pounds I lost two whole inches. And they would periodically get smaller after that.

Btw, research grape seed extract if you haven't already. You may want to consider giving it a try. I know a couple of people who got significant relief from varicose veins after using it for a while.

Thank you for your post. I am aware the spot training, toning, all that is nonsense. I don't mind muscle too much, I can control, somewhat, how much muscle I gain. I have done research myself and many say that walking/jogging/running does seem to have an affect on the legs. I use to jog before I had issues with my legs (varicose veins, sciatica pain).

I realize that there may not be a dramatic decrease. I just want to be able to not look like I am walking on pale, bulging sausages.

I do not suffer from the dreaded cankle, but when my legs swell, I can lose all definition on my legs and ankles (I stay away from any foot wear during these periods and often don compression stockings to help circulation) But I know my legs will never be small. I am okay with that. I just want smaller (2-3 inches would be marvelous) than what they are now. Though, even that may not be a possibility.

I will definitely look into grape seed extract.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

See the tread below:

Thank you for your post. I am aware the spot training, toning, all that is nonsense. I don't mind muscle too much, I can control, somewhat, how much muscle I gain. I have done research myself and many say that walking/jogging/running does seem to have an affect on the legs. I use to jog before I had issues with my legs (varicose veins, sciatica pain).

I realize that there may not be a dramatic decrease. I just want to be able to not look like I am walking on pale, bulging sausages.

I do not suffer from the dreaded cankle, but when my legs swell, I can lose all definition on my legs and ankles (I stay away from any foot wear during these periods and often don compression stockings to help circulation) But I know my legs will never be small. I am okay with that. I just want smaller (2-3 inches would be marvelous) than what they are now. Though, even that may not be a possibility.

Walking will give you the same effect and might be easier on your legs. If not, stick with the cycling. If you lose weight some of it will come from the legs eventually. Maybe you'll be luckier than me and it will come from your calves first. LOL!

Supposedly grape seed extract strengthens the blood vessels and makes them more elastic and that is how it helps with varicose veins...and probably other blood vessel issues as well to some extent. Good luck!
  • missg6984
    missg6984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The world is pretty much made up of big-calved and small-calved people. It is difficult to switch from one group to the other. You can work on losing fat, as you already said, but actually getting your muscles to atrophy is difficult and (completely my opinion) silly. Enjoy your big calves. Continue to work on your overall fitness and they will be big shapely calves, which are great.

Support is what helps motivate!
  • SueInAz
    edited August 2015
    Options

See the tread below:

That made me literally laugh out loud. I have issues with water retention, too. I was in the hospital a few years ago for an emergency appendectomy and during the 3 days I was there I gained 18 pounds while eating a total of about 2000 calories of soft, tasteless food. Happily, it was all gone about a week later. Running helps keep the water at bay because I lose about 2 pounds in sweat during my morning run. :smile:
  • BlahUnderpants
    Options

See the tread below:

That made me literally laugh out loud. I have issues with water retention, too. I was in the hospital a few years ago for an emergency appendectomy and during the 3 days I was there I gained 18 pounds while eating a total of about 2000 calories of soft, tasteless food. Happily, it was all gone about a week later. Running helps keep the water at bay because I lose about 2 pounds in sweat during my morning run. :smile:

Glad I can make you laugh.

My mom and grandmother (deceased) both suffered from water retention, and varicose veins. Turns out the veins are mostly hereditary, so says my doctor. Yay. I love how genes can be so similar but do completely different things to people. Makes me wonder if water retention can be a (somewhat) genetic issue as well.

I don't bother to weigh myself when I am retaining water. It's already scary enough. :) Haha.

I am glad that you were able to get back down though. I don't really use air conditioning in my house, and I live in Florida, so sweating isn't a problem for me.

I really need to get back in the habit of walking (and then jogging.. baby steps. ^_^) again.
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mines are big for my body size and it has been a huge complex for my life. Now I am trying to slim my whole body in expectation that calves and thighs get smaller. I started yoga a few months ago and I am pretty in to it. Some yoga instructor said your calves become smaller because you'd stretch calves a lot with yoga, I.e. Downward facing dog pose. Not sure that will happen to me, though. I need to see in coming months.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you can't spot reduce. That being said, I always had huge calves until I did Insanity - all the jumping was the only thing thats ever made my calves slimmer!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think at some point we just need to accept certain realities about our body. Even if you get rid of all the fat on your calfs, you still might not fit boots because of your calf muscles.
    Some shoewear or clothes will never work for our bodies, because there are some things we can't ever really change. I'll never be able to wear ballet flats or pumps without a strap, because my feet simply won't stay in. Only thing to do is find a style that does work for me.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    I think at some point we just need to accept certain realities about our body. Even if you get rid of all the fat on your calfs, you still might not fit boots because of your calf muscles.
    Some shoewear or clothes will never work for our bodies, because there are some things we can't ever really change. I'll never be able to wear ballet flats or pumps without a strap, because my feet simply won't stay in. Only thing to do is find a style that does work for me.

I have lean legs but my calves are out of proportion. I have small feet, skinny ankles but my calves are something else! I've never fit into longer boots. I've never tried to make them bigger, they just are what they are. And I don't know how I could possibly avoid training them - I run, I do yoga, cross fit etc. I've just embraced the ankle boot and brogue. And honestly my legs are bangin' and I get compliments on them frequently, so I'll take that in exchange for not being able to wear longer boots.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mines are big for my body size and it has been a huge complex for my life. Now I am trying to slim my whole body in expectation that calves and thighs get smaller. I started yoga a few months ago and I am pretty in to it. Some yoga instructor said your calves become smaller because you'd stretch calves a lot with yoga, I.e. Downward facing dog pose. Not sure that will happen to me, though. I need to see in coming months.
    That is a false claim a lot of yoga people make. As an adult, you can not alter the length of muscles:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33598471/#Comment_33598471
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @BlahUnderpants walking (or even walk-running if you are able to now or in the future) will probably do a lot to help your circulation issues.

Do whatever exercise you can manage and push yourself to do a little more. While this isn't necessary to lose weight, it is necessary to improve health. You've already got some health issues so there's no time like the present.

I have somewhat beefy calves, not lean runners legs, but I am a runner nonetheless. My legs have slimmed up as I've dropped the pounds, but as many have said and will say, not in a predictable manner. Fat will drop where it will and there's nothing we can do about that, so focus on dropping the weight and use exercise to improve fitness. I bet you five bucks you'll be happy with your boot choices a year from now. :smiley: