Exercise that doesn't suck?

Options
Now that I've gotten better with my eating habits, I'm ready to get into an exercise routine. Today I went swimming for a couple hours, and, I mean that's like the ideal form of exercise, right? Tricking your body into enjoying yourself while burning calories. But realistically, I can't go swimming on a regular basis, and I hate running with a burning passion. So I guess what I want to know is how you all get in your exercise without wanting to punch a kitten (I seriously hate running).

Replies

• AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    MY fave is my Wii with the balance board and Wii Fit Plus the game! I do use a heart rate monitor with it though as I don't find their calories burned to be accurate for me. I too hate running but I enjoy the jog round the island game none the less! but my fave is the Step Aerobics game on there!
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I enjoy water aerobics, strength training, the cyber arc, (similar to an elliptical, less impact, smoother). I HATE sweating!!!!! I've gotten where I tolerate it, but still don't like!! There are other things you can do besides running, a stability ball, water aerobics, aerobics, see what classes are available locally and what you might like. Walking can be nice too!!!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Just Dance video games and I really like walking. I hate running too!
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Just Dance video games and I really like walking. I hate running too!
    Oh! I also Second the Just Dance games! They are way fun!

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I can't stand swimming. Either I get water in my ears, or in my nose, or both simultaneously.

Running is great when you have a treadmill in particular. I have an iPad and my treadmill has speakers. I can watch movies, TV shows, whatever I like.
  • chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I love on the arc, i watch Netflix while I'm working out. The only time I get to watch what I want to!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    ksalcido8 wrote: »
    Now that I've gotten better with my eating habits, I'm ready to get into an exercise routine. Today I went swimming for a couple hours, and, I mean that's like the ideal form of exercise, right? Tricking your body into enjoying yourself while burning calories. But realistically, I can't go swimming on a regular basis, and I hate running with a burning passion. So I guess what I want to know is how you all get in your exercise without wanting to punch a kitten (I seriously hate running).

Pick one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

There's a whole lot more out there than just running.

• Machka9
    Options
    Personally, my main sport/exercise is cycling.

Next up is hiking followed closely by brisk walking in general.

But I also do canoeing and kayaking, swimming, snowshoeing, lifting weights, and various other surfing-like water sports (but I haven't worked my way up to surfing yet).

And I used to do cross-country skiing and yoga. If there were a place here where I could do those, I probably would again.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights :)
    Pilates
    Exercise classes
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Running isn't mandatory.

My favourites: free weights, kettlebells, yoga, long walks, cross fit, functional training, calisthenics/body weight training (burpees - it's a love/hate relationship) and skipping/jump rope.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ksalcido8 wrote: »

I don't run...I don't like it

You don't have to

I like

Walking the dog ...it's activity rather than exercise, but it does really count in terms of calorie burn and there are intense periods

I love going to the gym ...I have a weekly PT session and he pushes me ...on my own I just like plugging in my music and trying to get better at the stuff I was rubbish at during PT session ...I enjoy a little HIIT on treadmills, I like watching a crappy soap on the elliptical at a decent resistance and speed for 20 or 30 minutes and I like cables,TRX, lifting heavy stuff and putting it down ...

I've enjoyed the odd Pilates or yoga class but it really does depend on the teacher

At one stage of my life I like zumba but I fell off that wagon

Find your thing(s)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, walking is a good option. You basically just have to figure out what you like to do. Just realize that exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. You want weight loss, then just eat less than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I USED to hate running....but I found ways of enjoying it. Weekly 5km parkruns in particular.

But as others have said, it's not essential.

I love dancing, any kind. I also walk the dogs, a good calorie burner if it involves hills. And short sharp classes at teh gym - circuits, body pump etc.

The question is, why do you want to exercise? Is it just to burn more calories (in which case, cardio activities), or is it for shaping (strength work, weight bearing), or is it to improve stamina?
  • Machka9
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you don't like running, walking is a good option. You basically just have to figure out what you like to do. Just realize that exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. You want weight loss, then just eat less than you burn.

Which, of course, happens when you exercise ... burning calories. :)

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Exercise that doesn't suck to me:
    Running. Love it.
    Pole
    Yoga
    Weight training
    Snowboarding
    Hiking
    Cycling
    Rick climbing.
    You'll make time for what you like if you want too. Why isn't swimming reasonable. Get a pool membership and swim if you like it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no exercise that is right for everyone. Start by what is available to you and what you can commit to. Then eliminate the options that do not sound appealing at all. If e.g. you enjoy swimming but you live far away from the beach and there are no pools close to you, this is out. If you have access to e.g. a place that offers pilates classes but this bores you, this too is not an option. If there are things you have never tried but seem affordable and are close to you, try them. Most places will let you have a trial lesson or you can at least get a tour to see what it is about.
    If absolutely nothing seems to be worth the money, effort, time etc, then simply schedule a daily walk. It is great exercise and for most people it is something they can fit in their routine.
  • kristinefigura
    kristinefigura Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great! After I had my baby, I attended a class every week. They would turn the music up, the lights low and I swear I was in the club lol! Oh and was also burning 600 cals in each hour-long session!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorites are group classes at the gym.
    You can find me doing BodyCombat twice a week.
    Also really enjoy bodypump and Grit and will start weight training in September.
    I also used to do different types of dancing for years.

Anything that gets you moving regurly can be a good workout.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise for many years and starting most forms of moving will not appeal to your brain because it is something new! I started about 4 months ago to try out moving around and walking seemed the best option so just left the car at home and walked instead! It is more fun when u see how many calories u burned or how far u went and after a couple of tries, there is a feeling of having more energy and feeling better. Cycling is a good one too (both are free)! There are some great You Tube clips for things like step aerobics (Jenny Ford for example) and these are a good stand by when weather is too hot or the rain is coming down. Find what u enjoy and try out lots of different ways of moving. Now I am still walking, cycling and have started Couch to 5 K challenge and I like exercise
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    walking and just moving more in daily life.
    Exercise can be hard, but whats nice and just as importnat as losing weight is watching yourself get fitter faster stronger. Its motivating to make progress. maybe readjust your attitude so you look at it as a positive thing that will add years to your life and stave off a lot of health problems. Dont look at it as some sort of torture or a stick to beat yourself with becayse you know you arent fit at the moment but look at it as a challenge. Its a much better trade off when you realise and feel the benefits.

Dont compare yourself to others, amd nobody is interested in you so dont feel self conscious. You are trying to be a tiny but healthier than you were the day before rinse and repeat.