Best SHOES To Wear To Get Fit

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mcarr609 wrote: »
    Personally I would go to a professional store to get sized up and see what brand & price best suits. Most of the store's employees are trained up and have a machine to get the full dimension of your foot to get the best fit. In Australia we have the store called the Athletes Foot Then I would check out the price on Amazon or similar online store to see if you can save some dosh. Goodluck :smiley:

Yeah, but if you honestly like the shoes that the employee helped you find, you should buy from them. They took their time to help you, you should return the favor. But if you like those shoes, by all means buy the replacement pair later on from a cheaper venue!

Or you could ask if they price match. Walmart and other stores do this on request.

walmart probably isn't going to have gait analysis.

I also don't expect my local store to match most online prices. they do not sell enough inventory to do that sort of thing
  • Luchamonde
    Luchamonde Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shoes are one of my biggest problems at the moment, I tried going for daily jogs for a while but ended up damaging my foot due to using a shoe that offered little support. My foot is wide, flat and overpronates badly, so finding a good trainer to fit my mold is near impossible. I've tried on dozens of different shoes and none of them are 'just right'. It's either too long but the right width, or too wide but the right length.

I ended up just buying a scooter and using that to do bursts of cardio without having to put too much downward weight on my feet, this has actually worked out pretty well so far. Although I do need to find a proper shoe so that I can actually start jogging again.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    NyalD wrote: »
    I love shoe threads. I do everything barefoot. That way I know my shoes fit!
    I wouldn't want to be doing anything barefoot in a council-run gym, nor in the great outdoors! Maybe in your part of the world, the streets and parks are sparklingly clean, and the gym equipment doesn't smell weird, but right here, they are manky! So I wear shoes - however, my pilates studio promotes a barefoot existence, so I do get that good foot health is all about letting the foot be in it's natural position, it's just not practical day to day!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    May have to go with trial an error. There are many recommendations, but ultimately it has to be a shoe that doesn't hurt YOUR feet whenever you're exercising. Some do well with minimalist shoes while others don't. Same with running shoes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go to a professional store to get sized up and see what brand & price best suits. Most of the store's employees are trained up and have a machine to get the full dimension of your foot to get the best fit. In Australia we have the store called the Athletes Foot Then I would check out the price on Amazon or similar online store to see if you can save some dosh. Goodluck :smiley:

Yeah, but if you honestly like the shoes that the employee helped you find, you should buy from them. They took their time to help you, you should return the favor. But if you like those shoes, by all means buy the replacement pair later on from a cheaper venue!

Or you could ask if they price match. Walmart and other stores do this on request.

Walmart can buy things in massive quantities and get a discount. Price matching on a few pairs of shoes isn't going to hurt their bottom line. Smaller stores can't buy at the same price as Walmart, and price matching could actually cost them money. My parents used to own a toy store, and the KMart in town could sell board games at a price lower than my parents could buy them from their distributor. Yes, smaller businesses have to sell things at a price higher than Walmart. I'd rather give my money to a small business.
  • NyalD
    NyalD Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    NyalD wrote: »
    I love shoe threads. I do everything barefoot. That way I know my shoes fit!
    I wouldn't want to be doing anything barefoot in a council-run gym, nor in the great outdoors! Maybe in your part of the world, the streets and parks are sparklingly clean, and the gym equipment doesn't smell weird, but right here, they are manky! So I wear shoes - however, my pilates studio promotes a barefoot existence, so I do get that good foot health is all about letting the foot be in it's natural position, it's just not practical day to day!

Just having fun. BF isn't for everyone, just throwing it out there. I hear you about the gym thing. I don't go BF in locker rooms.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have made to measure orthotics for collapsed arches so I wear my trainers virtually 24/7. At the moment I have Addidas Supernova Glide Boost and they are sooooo comfy.
    My podiatrist recommended neutral support so that the shoe doesn't interfere with the orthotic, also try to find one with a one-piece sole to limit movement and promote stability.

Lots of votes for Asics here, but Asics cause my husband to overpronate and aggravate his shin splints. Just sayin'; they're great shoes but not for everyone :-) There will be an element of trial and error involved, no matter how much research you do.

I have resigned myself to buying new trainers about three times per year because they get so worn out through heavy use. Having knackered feet is not cheap. Good luck!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Throwing in for New Balance, but it really depends on your physiology I do suggest getting fitted for them, whatever brand you choose.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have to try different brands on to see what works best for your foot. I used to be a Nike girl but once I found Asics I have worn nothing else - RN for 24 years.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Just an idea for those that feel like they should/shouldn't buy in store. Some CC's (Citi has one) that will price match for you regardless of store policy. Go to the store, but the shoe you want, and then price match it with the CC.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

walmart probably isn't going to have gait analysis.

I also don't expect my local store to match most online prices. they do not sell enough inventory to do that sort of thing

My point was that brick-and-mortar stores are aware that they are losing market share to online retailers like Amazon and are starting to price match.

Also, if they don't have a matching policy, they may have the authority to reduce the price rather than completely lose the sale.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Just an idea for those that feel like they should/shouldn't buy in store. Some CC's (Citi has one) that will price match for you regardless of store policy. Go to the store, but the shoe you want, and then price match it with the CC.

I'm intrigued but don't really understand. Credit cards like Citi will give you a refund if you let them know that you bought something at Store X but it is cheaper at Store Y?

• kshama2001
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Walmart can buy things in massive quantities and get a discount. Price matching on a few pairs of shoes isn't going to hurt their bottom line. Smaller stores can't buy at the same price as Walmart, and price matching could actually cost them money. My parents used to own a toy store, and the KMart in town could sell board games at a price lower than my parents could buy them from their distributor. Yes, smaller businesses have to sell things at a price higher than Walmart. I'd rather give my money to a small business.

I just used Walmart as an example because I remembered this story from last year: Walmart Stores Are Now Price-Matching Amazon.com

I prefer the small business shopping experience myself - staff is more helpful and knowledgeable, etc.

There's a Walmart closer to me than Market Basket, but I go to MB for groceries because the employees are treated better.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

um no.
    it's business- not favors.

I suspect you haven't run a business before. ;)

If someone knows they're not going to buy there, and asks for a professional fitting, it's basically theft of services. :-1:

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

um no.

If someone knows they're not going to buy there, and asks for a professional fitting, it's basically theft of services. :-1:

Not to mention just plain rude and d*ckish. These people take their time to help find the right shoe for you.

If you actually find it at the store where you're being helped, you should buy from them. You're not gonna find it much cheaper other places anyway. Not the new versions of the shoe anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

um no.

totally depends on how that services is marketed- if it's to get you through the door- then no it's not theft- you put that out there on your own. If it's part of the purchase deal- then yes. I don't make a habit of doing such things- my friends pressured me to go try on rings and do the whole champagne whatever treatment at this local store- I wasn't comfortable doing it b/c I knew I wasn't ordering from there.

But my point is I'm not buying something because I feel bad about it or I'm trying to do someone a favor.
    That is it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

um no.

totally depends on how that services is marketed- if it's to get you through the door- then no it's not theft- you put that out there on your own. If it's part of the purchase deal- then yes. I don't make a habit of doing such things- my friends pressured me to go try on rings and do the whole champagne whatever treatment at this local store- I wasn't comfortable doing it b/c I knew I wasn't ordering from there.

But my point is I'm not buying something because I feel bad about it or I'm trying to do someone a favor.
    That is it.

But if you're going to a store for the explicit purpose of finding the product the store sells....

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm intrigued but don't really understand. Credit cards like Citi will give you a refund if you let them know that you bought something at Store X but it is cheaper at Store Y?

Yes. For example. I just bought a gift for my wife. 1 day later it went on sale for $15 less (saw it in my email the next morning). The store does not price adjust and it was a website, so returning it would have cost me $5 of the savings. I went on Citi's website, plugged the information into the PriceRewind tool, and I'm now due a $15 CC statement. It should go through in the next month.

Essentially, the CC company uses it as a feature to attract customers hoping they never use it. Just like extended warranties or car rental insurance through a CC.

Not something I'd use for every purchase, as it is more effort than buying at the low price in the first place, but it is a nice feature.

EDIT: to clarify, Citi's tool you just enter what you bought and for how much and they'll find the cheaper price for you. However, if their tool fails, you can mail them a filled out form with a copy of the advertisement and your receipt.
  • SouthpawGolfer100
    SouthpawGolfer100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Asics are amazing if you have bad feet to begin with, they are very cushy. (I was a waitress/bartender for a long time and my feet are worn out, for example.) Go to a running store and get your feet measured - there's so much that goes into finding a pair that won't cause you pain in the future, you need a professional. They cost the same as if you went to a Sport Authority, plus you are helping small businesses in your community. They can tell you which shoes are the best for YOU.

This. Get professionally fitted. You won't be sorry, and you won't waste money on shoes that make your feet/knees hurt.

This. After having foot surgery I found it difficult to find shoes that fit right and most days would wake up with a sore/stiff foot. I finally went and was fitted by a local shop. He measured my foot, arch, watched how I walked, etc. He put me in Brooks GTS shoes and they have been amazing.