Exercise that doesn't suck?

Replies

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    My favourite is gardening. I love it - all day outside digging and moving stuff about - it doesn't feel like you are doing exercise but it can be hard work and you get sore - much fun :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I hate running too. So, I play ultimate once per week (most weeks). I love running and catching things :smiley:

I also strength train. That is about it.
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    I find free videos on YouTube such as Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Punds and Jessica Smith's walk videos.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Lift weights - great fun and being strong is awesome.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    The answer is anything you enjoy. The best part is trying everything until you find it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Exercise can be hard,

Like most things that are worthwhile. For the OP, there have been tons of great suggestions. Best of luck.

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    I love biking. We live in an area with some decent trails so the rides are scenic and mind clearing.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    I only run if I'm being chased, and I hate gyms.

Joined a karate class and LOVE it! I feel like I am always trying to improve, working towards a goal (grading for my next belt)

In the gym I would start my workout saying "I'm going to cycle for 30 minutes." I hate cycling nowhere watching tv, so would get to 24 minutes and say "yeah, that's enough" At karate, I try to keep up with everyone else, and people encourage each other. Plus Sensei kicks my butt if I am not pushing hard enough - always get a good workout!

So finding something you LOVE is the key :)
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    There are so many forms of exercise it is all a matter of finding what you like by trying new things. What is good for one is not good for another. Summer months there are things like kayaking, canoeing, hiking, swimming not to mention all the classes that are out there like Karate, Zumba, etc. Winter months things like skiing, snowshoeing etc and again all the classes that are out there. Just check into some of them. Go to one and try it out. Who knows what you might find that is fun. The important part is to just keep moving
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Kickboxing but I have to go to a class. I had a bag at home and videos and wouldn't use them. It just wasn't the same.
    There's just something about beating the crap out of something that makes it fun. lol I actually take a women's fitness class and it is a combination of kickboxing and cardio/toning exercises. It's a great workout and I like the group atmosphere. I wouldn't do it in a mixed group though as I'm too self conscious about my body parts flapping and such when exercising. lol
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    I really enjoy some of the classes at my gym, particularly body combat and boxercise. I also love going out for long walks on the moor or in the woods
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    I only run if I'm being chased, and I hate gyms.

Joined a karate class and LOVE it! I feel like I am always trying to improve, working towards a goal (grading for my next belt)

In the gym I would start my workout saying "I'm going to cycle for 30 minutes." I hate cycling nowhere watching tv, so would get to 24 minutes and say "yeah, that's enough" At karate, I try to keep up with everyone else, and people encourage each other. Plus Sensei kicks my butt if I am not pushing hard enough - always get a good workout!

So finding something you LOVE is the key :)

This is exactly what I was going to say. Similar thing happened to me with Brazilian Jui Jitsu (maybe its a martial art thing), fencing and MMA style fitness classes. I would suggest you find various different sports and exercise classes in you area and try them out (most places let you try the first class for free). Training with other people is also incredibly motivating. I push harder and see more progress when I am dying next to someone who is also pushing as hard as they can because we can encourage each other (and of course the Sensei is telling us to keep going!)
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Spin Class. Weight training. I used to hate running, now I love it. But that took time.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    My favorite type of exercising is making love, but I'm single so I walk six miles daily. 3 are dogger walks and 3 are walks to public transport. Could you borrow a dog? The dog and its owner would very much appreciate it! I also climb 8 stairs daily on my commute. I also do bumps, grinds and shimmy in the elevator when I go to lunch unless someone is on there with me. I play fetch with my dog every night, bending over 10,000 times to pick up the ball for him to throw. I also do that for 4 hours each weekend at the dog park. I also do high intensity interval training m, w and f where I sprint for 30 seconds and rest for 60 ten times and alternative that with calestehics. I do these because they maintain your metabolism longest afterward. I'm getting my bike fixed so I can pedal to the library which I do at least once a week. I intend to add belly dancing because I have injured feet and can't stomp them like in regular dance.

HOWEVER as I eat for health (I eat a pound of raw veggies daily, homemade veggie based soup, steel cut oatmeal and a homemade burger and NOTHING PROCESSED) I HURT REMARKABLY LESS. Great incentive to exercise.
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Have you considered mall walking for variety? Wait, it's not just for senior citizens. I've enjoyed walking local mall early Sunday mornings where I could enjoy window shopping. I would walk 5K aka 3.1 miles making 2 loops of the upstairs and downstairs corridors.
  • bigtone89
    bigtone89 Posts: 104 Member
    Basketball and walking.....sex, too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    you have to find some activity that you enjoy doing. personally, i really enjoy cycling.

also, maybe give it a rest on the hours...you don't need to exercise for 2 hours to be fit and healthy. i take a long ride once per week, but other than that, most of my rides are in the 60 minute range. trying to do too much of something can lead to burn out, even if it's something you otherwise enjoy.

an hour on my bike is very enjoyable...1.5 hours is nice...2 hours and I'm still feeling pretty good, but I'm also kind of done...more than 3 hours and i'm really not having fun anymore.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Rebounding (mini trampoline) - hula hooping - pole dancing

Just keep trying new things. That's the great thing about on-line videos. Lots of different things to test drive.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you don't like running, walking is a good option. You basically just have to figure out what you like to do. Just realize that exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. You want weight loss, then just eat less than you burn.

Which, of course, happens when you exercise ... burning calories. :)

Unless you eat them all back, which many of us do and still lose. :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Most people who claim they hate running probably hate it because they suck at it.

You can change "running" to anything else you suck at, or think you suck at, and have decided you don't like.

A great many non-runners have come through MFP and turned into runners. (change "runners" to any other exercise pursuit). Figure out what you might like to be good at, even if you suck at it now, and pursue it.