Will not eating enough really stop me from losing weight? Suggestions please!

Options

Replies

• cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didn't eat much until I started accurately logging everything I eat and drink here in MFP. You should watch this video, very eye opening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Wow that's a eye opener
  • deborah361
    deborah361 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    litnbug wrote: »
    For instance, today is my first day of this, and as I said in my first blog, I wasn't prepared, I just jumped right in. So my eating today is more of a normal day and not an "I'm trying to lose weight day". I already know what I'm having for dinner so I have logged that. My allotted calories is 2390, and after logging everything I've eaten today and what I will eat for dinner, I am only at 1177. No where near what I should be.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    hamptontom wrote: »
    justrollme wrote: »

I have noticed that occasionally, someone will post an apology for "being stubborn," after arguing over advice etc., which is great. But I'm suggesting that it has to be considered how many people jetpack.jpg out of here, discouraged. Everyone is quick to tell someone who apologizes how "classy" they are for doing so, but that really should be going both ways.

I've wondered quite a bit, even during the short time i've been here, if anyone else noticed that, or if the sometimes prevalent tough love/hardass thing was just an accepted behavior model here.

Nah, there are just as many enablers and coddlers as there are tough love/truth tellers. So, pick your poison.

You cannot have tough love without any love. Without actual love, it's just toughness.

You can tell the truth without name-calling. Truth doesn't have to be brutal truth. There are other kinds.

Who name-called? The comments got blunter as OP became more hostile in denying the undeniable truth, but there was no name calling.

I'd be interested in OPs hypothesis as to how she became 300 lbs. It's not because she eats to much and its not because she has a medical condition, so that leaves .......?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I applaud all of you who took the time to help someone who clearly doesn't want to be helped and who has it all figured out. Maybe it makes me a b---h, but I just can't be bothered. I've got my own crap to worry about without wasting precious energy on someone too ridiculously stubborn to appreciate it.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't have a very big appetite, ironic as that may be in a woman weighing 300 lbs. I know I don't eat correctly, but aren't calories calories, regardless of where they come from. As I've started this change today, I am going to make a conscious effort to eat better, but I still don't see me eating as many calories as is recommended. Suggestions please!!

You can get away with a steep deficit at this stage. It's good to know where you "should" be as in TDEE so that you can move up and down on that range and carry a deficit still. You will find that it can change as to how satisfied you are on the calories you give yourself. Be prepared to move that up if need be especially as the lighter you get, the more mobile you'll get and thus increased activity leading to increased hunger.

I see-sawed with my calories too. 1200 during the week and then more on weekends due to social activity. I was ok with (carefully not with abandon) increasing it because I knew I was still in a deficit over the course of the week.

Also, you mention not eating "correctly" which I'm assuming you mean, and I use the term colloquially, junk foods? Yes you can eat that and still lose. One of the problems with those foods, in the absence of never having calorie counted is that for the amount of calories they can contain they don't look substantial so we think more is ok and most people find them not very satiating either so they go back for seconds. We think we are eating very little when in fact, given how highly calorific those foods are, we are overeating - I'm saying this in the context of you not having counted calories prior. With calorie counting, you become very aware of when best to spend your calories on those foods.

It does help to add more protein, more fibre with just a little of what I call sometimes food - high calorie.
    For instance, today is my first day of this, and as I said in my first blog, I wasn't prepared, I just jumped right in. So my eating today is more of a normal day and not an "I'm trying to lose weight day". I already know what I'm having for dinner so I have logged that. My allotted calories is 2390, and after logging everything I've eaten today and what I will eat for dinner, I am only at 1177. No where near what I should be.

As hard as anyone tries to be "unconscious" of how they eat, the very act of logging creates an awareness...of hunger signals but also of mindless eating (I learnt my biggest downfall was eating the kid's leftovers and not logging small bites of this n that and cooking oil). I didn't get to 260lbs by eating a tonne of food everyday although I definitely had days like that (still do). It was day after day of extra calories I didn't need but I also thought they were insignificant...a serving size of cheesecake was ridiculous...a little bit more won't hurt!
    I made the mistake of going back on this thread, which I will not do after this post. I UNDERSTAND about weighing, I UNDERSTAND about the whole process. As for the man that said I'm not ready, he can bite me. I appreciate the constructive criticism and advice. Some of you people are a little overzealous and I realize now that I should not have posted this thread. My mistake. I will not make it again. I know a woman who lost almost 100 lbs and never weighed an ounce of food. I also know a woman who is obsessed with it. My question didn't have anything to do with weighing or not weighing or whether I actually knew what a teaspoon was.

You can lose without calorie counting (I lost initial weight that way). It still requires thought with a big reliance on structure based on knowing yourself really well. You choose sustainable behaviours and lean on those for the rest of your life. Some learn these behaviours via calorie counting, some simply transition to them as long as they are aware of what needs changing - choose lower calorie substitutes, less oil, lower highly processed foods, increase whole foods and simply move more. I used to think of my "future self"...how doe she eat, what's her activity like, how does she respond to stress? I created a person I wanted to be and went for it.
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.

There by the grace of God go you and I. I have seen enough women on here struggling with their thyroid medication and weight loss (and succeed after much trial and error) to think I'm glad that was never my issue.

The bottom line is, weight loss is CICO. The beauty of that is that it doesn't matter (within reason) how you choose to do it - just adhere to what you do enjoy. Any medical issue, physical issue can be factored into the equation.
  • deborah361
    deborah361 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about....I joined WW at one point..I wasn't loosing weight.. WW said I needed to up calories...as soon as I did...weight started coming off....if you eat to few , your body goes in starvation mode...but I have found you can surpass if you have endurance with minimal calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    So are you saying this is what you ate before you decided to lose weight?? If so, how did you get to 300 pounds eating so little?? Just wondering...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I was subject to some tough advice myself regarding logging when I started a thread about having an abnormally low metabolism and lack of progress. In fact, I even got to watch the same video. I'm 56, 5'1.5", and around 120 lbs. Today, my fitbit HR gave me a total of 1266 to eat, with a normal activity level (a yoga class, a one mile walk, and a grocery shopping trip). Typically that's what I try to eat every day -- I'm not gaining any weight, but I'm not losing. That is to say, at or around 1200+ calories, I don't weigh 300 lbs., even though my "burn rate" isn't very high. I guess my advice would be to listen to those who advise you to track over the next few weeks. I overestimated some basic things like peanut butter. For instance, I assumed I had only 1 TB of peanut butter on my English muffin in the morning, but it was really more like 2 TB. You also mention that you have ice tea or soda; if these are sweetened products, you need to track them because you could be drinking your calories. That might also explain why you're not that hungry. If you find that you're still not losing after a couple weeks of dedicated tracking, you probably do need some type of metabolic work-up because at 1200 calories or so, you shouldn't be gaining excessive amounts of weight. Best of luck to you.
  • Serah87
    Options
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.

It is ironic you ask for help but reject the help when people share their knowledge of the mistakes they made when they first started on the journey to loose fat. You more of less accuse people of thinking you are untruthful and an idiot. So, I say, continue on your path of getting negative results and when you are ready to follow the methods of people on MFP that are successful we will be more than happy to help you when you are ready for the help.

My thoughts also.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't have a very big appetite, ironic as that may be in a woman weighing 300 lbs. I know I don't eat correctly, but aren't calories calories, regardless of where they come from. As I've started this change today, I am going to make a conscious effort to eat better, but I still don't see me eating as many calories as is recommended. Suggestions please!!

When I first read this I thought you said "I'm gonna make a conscious effort to eat butter" and I was like, hey...that's an idea I guess...lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Did they run the whole panel? Unless you're plucking them, you've got the hypothyroid eyebrows. That's the only reason I ask. I'm kind of picky on the thyroid thing because my doctor said he ran the panel, but all he ran was TSH. I spent many years insisting I couldn't lose and being told that if those numbers were right, I should be losing. I was like, "Duh! I know that! That's why I came!"

When I complained that I couldn't exercise because I was out of breath way too easily, he suggested more exercise. I was like, "How can more help?! I can't even swim anymore!" he suggested trying.

Try.

There were MANY comments carrying the moronic insinuation that I was lying and/or lazy. I really didn't appreciate that doctor or dietitian, lol.

Then I got a good doctor. And everything changed. They whiz zed me through the endo, the surgeon, the cardiologist and into surgery. It wasn't even two weeks and that's with me having other important things to do.

My dang thyroid was so ginormous that it had grown down and through my chest and was smooshing my lungs. It was also cutting off my windpipe. And that guy insisted it wasn't thyroid.

You should've seen the surgeon's face when he said I'd let it go too long and I briefly told him my story. He asked questions. Then he asked for that guy's name and office location, lol. I hope he gave him hell.

So, I'm very pro on getting the whole panel run. By an endocrinologist, if you can get the referral.

I don't think you're lying and I KNOW that sometimes, there really is more to it than not logging properly.

Check out my brows. They're hypothyroid brows. The OP's brows are fine.

I do agree advice on having a full panel run is always good, but I also think adding advice on optimum numbers vs. just being in range is helpful too.

However, that being said... even if a thyroid problem is present, if someone consistently had a habit of that low a caloric intake as the OP has logged, her weight would not be where it is, even with a thyroid problem.

Big picture, here.

OP, no one is saying you don't know things, but people who have experienced frustrations with doing this with and without results are trying to help you. A food scale really made a world of difference for a lot of us. That's why you see so many of us recommending it. Yes, loads of people lose weight without them. I'm happier losing weight with one, though.

I'm in your age bracket, and it's harder losing weight when you get to be a certain age. Every little bit helps.

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling kind of sad for her. I mean, for all anyone knows, she could have a bad issue with depression and self worth. And finally NOW she is trying to take a step forward, and getting the courage to even post anything, asking for help. Maybe she was wanting everyone to baby her, I don't know, but some people were a smidgy harsh in MY personal opinion. Just a smidge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    So are you saying this is what you ate before you decided to lose weight?? If so, how did you get to 300 pounds eating so little?? Just wondering...

I think that is exactly what everyone is wondering...

Barring some insane medical condition. It is absolutely, utterly, totally, impossible!!

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    What are hyperthyroid eyebrows?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Did they run the whole panel? Unless you're plucking them, you've got the hypothyroid eyebrows. That's the only reason I ask. I'm kind of picky on the thyroid thing because my doctor said he ran the panel, but all he ran was TSH. I spent many years insisting I couldn't lose and being told that if those numbers were right, I should be losing. I was like, "Duh! I know that! That's why I came!"

When I complained that I couldn't exercise because I was out of breath way too easily, he suggested more exercise. I was like, "How can more help?! I can't even swim anymore!" he suggested trying.

Try.

There were MANY comments carrying the moronic insinuation that I was lying and/or lazy. I really didn't appreciate that doctor or dietitian, lol.

Then I got a good doctor. And everything changed. They whiz zed me through the endo, the surgeon, the cardiologist and into surgery. It wasn't even two weeks and that's with me having other important things to do.

My dang thyroid was so ginormous that it had grown down and through my chest and was smooshing my lungs. It was also cutting off my windpipe. And that guy insisted it wasn't thyroid.

You should've seen the surgeon's face when he said I'd let it go too long and I briefly told him my story. He asked questions. Then he asked for that guy's name and office location, lol. I hope he gave him hell.

So, I'm very pro on getting the whole panel run. By an endocrinologist, if you can get the referral.

I don't think you're lying and I KNOW that sometimes, there really is more to it than not logging properly.

Check out my brows. They're hypothyroid brows. The OP's brows are fine.

I do agree advice on having a full panel run is always good, but I also think adding advice on optimum numbers vs. just being in range is helpful too.

However, that being said... even if a thyroid problem is present, if someone consistently had a habit of that low a caloric intake as the OP has logged, her weight would not be where it is, even with a thyroid problem.

Big picture, here.

OP, no one is saying you don't know things, but people who have experienced frustrations with doing this with and without results are trying to help you. A food scale really made a world of difference for a lot of us. That's why you see so many of us recommending it. Yes, loads of people lose weight without them. I'm happier losing weight with one, though.

I'm in your age bracket, and it's harder losing weight when you get to be a certain age. Every little bit helps.
    I have no interest in your eyebrows, thank you, anyway.

If you do not like my posts, you are free to give your own advice.
  • Serah87
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    The statement you use as an example ("there's no way you'd lose 300 pounds") is not even close to being offensive, and if someone is so reactive and defensive that they take it that way, I'm going to be courteous but I'm not going to walk on eggshells.

Edit: It isn't offensive to you. That doesn't not mean it isn't to someone else.

Well no one had better say anything about anything, ever, lest they offend someone.

Agree. I have seen people say things really nicely and still they get called out for being mean, lol. Ohh well.....everybody wants a pat on the back. OP just keep doing what you are doing, we don't know anything.

I lost 121 pounds, maintained now for almost 11 months, by using food digital scale.

Good luck, OP. I suggest maybe watching the "Secret Eaters".
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    When the "Diet Bullies" smell blood in the water they have a feeding frenzy.

The forum piranha aka the "Diet Bullies?" Seriously? LMAO.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Potential customer ( victim) for the derp/woo/magic weight loss industry.

Sorry to say so.

Start weighing ALL your solid food on a food scale and log it.
    Your body is the perfect calculator, it wont lie, it wont cheat..it counts for you EVERY calorie you consume!
    EVERY single one of them.
    Your own body is your judge, and wont bent for you if you think you are special...it wont give you any exceptions or free rides.... It counts, day and night!
    And you think now we are all mean, we are all wrong and you are right.... well so be it. But you are the one who is thinking you dont eat much. You are the one who loses in the end.

Nobody is saying your lying, they are trying to help you. You have noting to lose ( pun intended :) ) Why dont you just try for 2 weeks to weigh EVERYTHING? You have a scale you are weighing as you say most things so why not weigh it all.

And if you think that you know what a teaspoon of peanut butter is...well so do i But that teaspoon still can be 170 or 190 or 150 calories...you dont know how many calories are on there. Because you dont know how many grams you have on your teaspoon...which is certainly not always the same, even if you think so.

You have nothing to lose to try it out for 2 weeks or even a week, it will open your eyes.
    Oh and about serving sizes for a sandwich you got in a fast food center or were ever...It can be hundreds off too.
    My husband and i had the same subway ones...But mine had 83 gram less avocado on it ( lucky me) but still that is a lot! of calorie difference in the same subway.
    WEIGH your food!
This discussion has been closed.