Life after Death

Options
meblu3u
meblu3u Posts: 11 Member
Hello Everyone my name is Rose after being married for 17 years my husband passed away. I started to eat more and some depression. I have always been a bigger woman and my son said to me Mom I don't want you to Die and that's when I asked what do you mean my son is 7 I also have a 8 and 11 year old. Needless to say my 7 year old continues to say mom with you being fat you can die. Is my son trying to tell me something or was he scared after losing his father so I decided to do this Journey on my own my friends tell me your fine. I have a health condition called POTS it's a heart condition that I need to maintain take in 3300 mg of salt to keep everything working properly. I started working hard at making changes to my diet as well as walking exercises and such. Feel like the struggles are so overwhelming the moral support from friends aren't there so I hope that others on a mission to help themselves like I am can understand the struggles we feel and give advice how to deal with them. So that's my life.

Replies

• beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. That has to be the ultimate "hurt" in one's life. Best wishes with your lifestyle changes and know that there are always those on MFP to help you with your struggles. You CAN do it!
  • meblu3u
    Options
    Thank you beachgal0626 it means a lot to me to hear some inspirational words thank you
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you have been on MFP, but I highly recommend browsing through the Success Stories section. There are some amazing, inspirational stories to be read!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Condolences to you and your children. What a tough road for each of you. You have my sympathy for feeling like the moral support from friends isn't there. Kids, even really young ones, can offer fantastic support, however! I did not believe it--"support is an appropriate role for parents, not children" was my thinking--until I actually had kids, and wow. They can tell when you're the slightest bit off, and their love is unconditional. I'm wondering, too, how a close friend would respond if you told her how much moral support for making healthy changes would mean to you. Sometimes you have to ask for exactly what you need.

It might seem overwhelming, but you can do it. It's the small changes done consistently that make the biggest difference in the end. Slow and steady wins the race. There is tons of fantastic advice in the threads, and a good place to start are the "most helpful posts" in the "general diet and weight loss" board. Focus on the things that make the biggest difference (eating the appropriate number of calories and accurately counting), and don't worry with minor details (meal timing & big vs. small meals are matters of preference unless your medical condition requires a particular regimen). Best of luck to you!
  • Bruery
    Bruery Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    My condolences as well, thank you for putting a human element I have yet to encounter in the forums. If you are looking for support - please add, I will cheer you start to finish!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for the loss of your husband. You will find a lot of support here on MFP to assist you in your weight loss journey. Best wishes! :)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    meblu3u wrote: »
    Thank you beachgal0626 it means a lot to me to hear some inspirational words thank you
    Welcome!
    You are taking a brave step in a new direction.
    Your situation made me think.
    If it were my time to go, the best tribute I'd expect would be for my loving wife to move on, live well and be her healthy best.

You're here, and this is a great, fresh journey. I feel your grief, but it's time to buck up, gather your energy and move ahead in life the way your husband would want you to. Stay strong and enjoy your new beginning.
    Again, welcome...
    :)

• meblu3u
    Options
    Thank you Pinnacle_IAO
  • meblu3u
    Options
    Thank You Eileen_S
  • meblu3u
    Options
    Thank you Bruery
  • meblu3u
    Options
    Thank you Ahoy-m8
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know from experience when you are young and you lose one parent you suddenly realize how vulnerable you are and how easily you could lose the other parent. So I get where your seven year old is coming from. I lost my dad when I was fourteen. It's good that you made this decision to get healthy, for your own sake and for the sake of your children. You've come to the right place. You'll get a lot of support here.
  • 67tls
    67tls Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Rose, my life was also sent into chaos by the death of my husband. At the time I had a 14 year old and an 8 year old. That was 9 years ago. I have been through the depression and using food as a comfort. Although I am new to the forum, I started taking control of my weight back in January. I totally understand your struggles. I wanted to get healthy to be there for my sons. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will gladly cheer u on!!
  • kbpinmo
    kbpinmo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My heart aches for you. I almost lost my husband two years ago, and my depression grew as well. I'd love to be a friend on here. We can push each other and inspire each other to do better :)
  • Bryanna1992
    Bryanna1992 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. But good for you on your decision to make a healthier choice for your children. Whenever you feel like quitting, remember that this is for your children. It may seem overwhelming, it is, but just take small steps. Make small changes instead of many big ones. You can do this!
  • beccaecca
    beccaecca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate to you. I lost my three year old daughter in 2012. I use food as an escape for the pain some days. It's hard to see myself at this size. I'm a work in progress and everyday I'm trying to get better at knowing when I'm eating because I'm hungry or if I'm eating because I'm sad. It's a struggle but with some support and accountability I know it can be done.
  • iMissMyHubs
    iMissMyHubs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm so so sorry for the loss of your husband and your children's father. My husband unexpectedly passed away in January, leaving behind our 16 year old daughter, 13 year old son, and myself. These past few months have been so painful. He passed away in his sleep with no known health problems and now I'm so afraid for myself. I'm the only one left for my children. I understand the worries, fears, and pain. They are happening in our home, also. I'm new here and I'm ready to feel better, at least a little. And I want you to feel better about things, too! We can do this!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I expect your son loves you very much and has a grasp of health related issues unlike many adults. Welcome and best wishes as you work to lower the stress your son is carrying about your well being.
  • meblu3u
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss, feel free to add me if you like :)