Muscle gaining misconceptions

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Mostly for the newbies:
It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases:

Athlete returning to exercise after a long layoff
Newbie to lifting
Very overweight/obese person participating in a new calorie deficit and progressive resistance weight lifting program

Even then, the gains are minimal and limited.

Seeing muscle definition while on a calorie deficit, while gaining strength lifting is usually viewed by many as gaining muscle. However muscle definition happens because of less fat covering muscle they've never seen, and neuromuscular adaption is the explanation for strength gains.

Building muscle takes quite some time and to keep adding it means adding mass. Adding mass means adding weight and you don't add muscle weight while on a calorie deficit. If this were true, the competitive bodybuilders would just stay lean all year around building muscle...............and they don't. They know they have to eat in surplus to add more mass which is why definition is reduced on their physiques. It also happens to the average gym goer.

Also people who are obese usually have a lot of muscle (especially in the lower body) before beginning to lose weight. Walking around carrying an extra 100lbs or more while in calorie surplus will build muscle. So as one who's obese loses weight, it's NOT uncommon to see some good size muscle underneath that fat. But gaining more muscle on top of that doesn't happen in a calorie deficit. It takes mass to build mass and a calorie deficit is opposite of adding weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but could you clarify this sentence, please.

'Adding mass means adding weight and you don't add muscle weight without a calorie deficit.'

I just don't get the needing a calorie deficit to add muscle weight. I thought it was the reverse.
    Am I just reading it wrong?

Cheers, h.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

'Adding mass means adding weight and you don't add muscle weight without a calorie deficit.'

I just don't get the needing a calorie deficit to add muscle weight. I thought it was the reverse.

Cheers, h.

I noticed that too. I think it's a typo (at least I hope so or I've been getting it very wrong!) and ninerbuff knows what he's talking about.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Well yes, I agree that he is a knowledgable, reliable person. And that is why I had to ask for a clarification. He knows way more than I ever could so I could have just had this point wrong all this time.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers, h.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Mostly for the newbies:
    It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases:

Athlete returning to exercise after a long layoff
    Newbie to lifting
    Very overweight/obese person participating in a new calorie deficit and progressive resistance weight lifting program

Even then, the gains are minimal and limited.

Seeing muscle definition while on a calorie deficit, while gaining strength lifting is usually viewed by many as gaining muscle. However muscle definition happens because of less fat covering muscle they've never seen, and neuromuscular adaption is the explanation for strength gains.

Building muscle takes quite some time and to keep adding it means adding mass. Adding mass means adding weight and you don't add muscle weight without a calorie deficit. If this were true, the competitive bodybuilders would just stay lean all year around building muscle...............and they don't. They know they have to eat in surplus to add more mass which is why definition is reduced on their physiques. It also happens to the average gym goer.

Also people who are obese usually have a lot of muscle (especially in the lower body) before beginning to lose weight. Walking around carrying an extra 100lbs or more while in calorie surplus will build muscle. So as one who's obese loses weight, it's NOT uncommon to see some good size muscle underneath that fat. But gaining more muscle on top of that doesn't happen in a calorie deficit. It takes mass to build mass and a calorie deficit is opposite of adding weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I find this really interesting. I have been in a deficit for about 2 years and I do feel like I have gained some muscle, especially in my upper body. I know a lot of it is fat loss just showing the muscle but I was thinking that I had gained some mass. When I used to flex absolutely nothing happened!

Reading this I think perhaps it is just muscle definition and not growth - apart from noob gains
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You might be seeing some definition appear from fat loss. That's muscle you already had
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Increase training volume by 25% while eating maintenance. What happens?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Cheers, h.
    Typo. Got lost in thought and just edited it. Thanks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Still variables. If no progression in resistance, then likely one is increasing their muscular endurance. If one is already low in body (say 15%-20%) then they likely just maintain. If one is still carrying some excess fat, supplying enough protein, and progressively increasing resistance, then recomping is possible. But you normally don't add mass from eating maintenance and adding muscle again usually means adding mass.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Well written.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As always...good info. Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Think you are underestimating quite how low many people's start point is and in my opinion this statement is over-stated - "It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases."
    Calorie deficit is very vague too - 50, 100, 500, 1000 a day?

"Few cases" applies to a huge slice of the population who are undertrained or sedentary and also carrying around a massive energy store.

Strength/weight training is such a minority pursuit that there are loads of people with the potential to make muscle gains as long as they don't go for an excessive calorie deficit and train appropriately. Trying to project what bodybuilders have to do to make incremental gains when they are already fully trained and lean to the general under-trained and fat population is misleading.

That people mistake strength gains and improvements in definition for actual muscle growth is well known but the rest is a bit exagerated in my view.

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Great post and explanation, Thank you!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Also people who are obese usually have a lot of muscle (especially in the lower body) before beginning to lose weight. Walking around carrying an extra 100lbs or more while in calorie surplus will build muscle. So as one who's obese loses weight, it's NOT uncommon to see some good size muscle underneath that fat.
    Yeah, I've seen this is a lot of success stories threads where guys drop from 350 -> 200 and look fantastic.
    *jelly about dat size* :#
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Still variables. If no progression in resistance, then likely one is increasing their muscular endurance. If one is already low in body (say 15%-20%) then they likely just maintain. If one is still carrying some excess fat, supplying enough protein, and progressively increasing resistance, then recomping is possible. But you normally don't add mass from eating maintenance and adding muscle again usually means adding mass.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if I'm understanding your statement a recomp (without weight gain) at at BF% much less than 15% for a male probably isn't going to happen? I can buy that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Think you are underestimating quite how low many people's start point is and in my opinion this statement is over-stated - "It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases."

"Few cases" applies to a huge slice of the population who are undertrained or sedentary and also carrying around a massive energy store.

Strength/weight training is such a minority pursuit that there are loads of people with the potential to make muscle gains as long as they don't go for an excessive calorie deficit and train appropriately. Trying to project what bodybuilders have to do to make incremental gains when they are already fully trained and lean to the general under-trained and fat population is misleading.

That people mistake strength gains and improvements in definition for actual muscle growth is well known but the rest is a bit exagerated in my view.
    But it doesn't just apply to bodybuilders. In general, this applies to regular population. As I mentioned IF there is room for someone to lose excessive fat, then there's a possibility to still gain some muscle even while in a calorie deficit, however someone with not much to lose at all, at deficit and trying to add say 10lbs of muscle ISN'T going to do it on a calorie deficit. Enlighten me if you can link me to something that supports that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Great post.
    Perhaps you can consider adding a phrase or two on how lifting during weightloss can help preserve existing muscle. Or perhaps the oposit, about how that muscle (in obese people) gets lost without strength training. Just for completion sake.
  • GSixZero
    GSixZero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oh how I miss n00b gains. So motivating.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

But it doesn't just apply to bodybuilders. In general, this applies to regular population. As I mentioned IF there is room for someone to lose excessive fat, then there's a possibility to still gain some muscle even while in a calorie deficit, however someone with not much to lose at all, at deficit and trying to add say 10lbs of muscle ISN'T going to do it on a calorie deficit. Enlighten me if you can link me to something that supports that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I disagree but that's OK. Your background and experience is different to mine. My muscle gain or loss has virtually all been to do with training and very little to do with calorie surplus or deficit. I've lost muscle in a surplus and gained it in a deficit. Even lost and gained muscle at the same time.

Again though you are using calorie deficit as a catch-all term. We both know (I hope) there is a world of difference between small deficits and large deficits over long term. What we probably agree on is the need for good training, appropriate deficit and good nutrition while cutting. I'm just more optimistic about the possible results than you.

The alternative would be for you to provide a link to something that supports your stance - a long term study done on regular everyday people (sedentary non gym goers perhaps?) who are overweight, lose weight slowly, with a good training program and adequate macros and shows they cannot gain significant amounts of muscle. I've never seen one.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Great post.
    Perhaps you can consider adding a phrase or two on how lifting during weightloss can help preserve existing muscle. Or perhaps the oposit, about how that muscle (in obese people) gets lost without strength training. Just for completion sake.
    Yes, I've been wondering the same thing.

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I disagree but that's OK. Your background and experience is different to mine. My muscle gain or loss has virtually all been to do with training and very little to do with calorie surplus or deficit. I've lost muscle in a surplus and gained it in a deficit. Even lost and gained muscle at the same time.

Again though you are using calorie deficit as a catch-all term. We both know (I hope) there is a world of difference between small deficits and large deficits over long term. What we probably agree on is the need for good training, appropriate deficit and good nutrition while cutting. I'm just more optimistic about the possible results than you.

The alternative would be for you to provide a link to something that supports your stance - a long term study done on regular everyday people (sedentary non gym goers perhaps?) who are overweight, lose weight slowly, with a good training program and adequate macros and shows they cannot gain significant amounts of muscle. I've never seen one.
    If were looking at it physiologically, you either are gaining or losing muscle. Most of the time it's just small changes not noticeable on a daily basis if one is in maintenance.
    I'll look for some study or research for what you mentioned, but when losing tissue (catabolic) I do know that mTOR and other muscle building pathways are disrupted versus when one is being anabolic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png