Muscle gaining misconceptions

Options

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    You are not wasting your time with strength training. Better to start now. Find a program you like and incorporate it into your schedule.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Good reality check. For me.
  • arizonacrystal
    arizonacrystal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    But will I get still get stronger?
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There is a difference between "stronger" and "more muscle fibers (growing muscles)".

Lifting will help to train the muscle you have to perform better and has wide-reaching impact to metabolism and skeletal composition (helping to preserve and/or add to bone density, joint mobility, range of motion/control, etc).

You will get stronger up to the limit supported by your existing muscle population; adding to that population can come later (as a recomp or bulking process), if you'd like to increase your muscle population.

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There is a difference between "stronger" and "more muscle fibers (growing muscles)".

Lifting will help to train the muscle you have to perform better and has wide-reaching impact to metabolism and skeletal composition (helping to preserve and/or add to bone density, joint mobility, range of motion/control, etc).

You will get stronger up to the limit supported by your existing muscle population; adding to that population can come later (as a recomp or bulking process), if you'd like to increase your muscle population.

I want to add to this. Yes you get stronger. By training on a calorie defecit you are still able to make your existing muscle more efficient. Before you might not have been able to utilize possible strength. By weight training you will slowly gain access to the already existing potential.
    One small but, there is an upper limit as to how strong you can get using only the currently existing muscle.

But definetly continue strength training. You prevent losing lean body mass, keep your bmr from decreasing as a result, amd will have a great looking body that will be revealed as you lose the fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    So I have a question. I'm trying to lose weight because of all the belly fat I carry so I am in a calorie deficit. But I'm also into mountain biking and when I can't ride I try to do quite a bit of strength training and weight lifting. That way I can be stronger on my bike and also work my upper body since it doesn't get much work while riding. Am I wasting my time with strength training than? I don't care about making my muscles larger just want them stronger. Should I wait until I lose more weight to strength train? After reading this post if feel super confused.
    With many, strength will continue to diminish while you lose weight and DON'T strength train. Time would only be wasted with strength training if your intention is not to get stronger or fitter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    But will I get still get stronger?
    If you're workouts are progressive in loads, yes.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think what's dishearting is losing strength as you age. After age 45, I've noticed year by year a little less strength than what I did the previous year. I'm still in much much better shape and stronger (relative) than most males in my age group, but the losses can sometimes be disappointing. But hey, that's how it goes and I just comply. I want to go into my later years physically active rather than getting injured trying to attepmt a lift I could do 5 years ago just for ego's sake.
    My strongman uncle was lifting very heavy into his late 50's but warned me to stop now before I ended up like him. I did as he advised!
    He's is now in his 70's barely able to raise his arms laterally and is afflicted with arthritis is every joint.
    My bench, deadlift and squat is light compared to how I maxed out years before.

My uncle said he was always trying to compete with his younger self. Don't do it!

It is all a matter of perspective (my opinion only, I do not have the experience or credentials to back it up, but it is what I think).
    If you are a strongman, it makes sense to realize you aren't always going to be at the height of your powers, and to adjust downwards.
    If you are not strong to begin with, facing further muscle loss through age, making modest gains and trying to keep those gains as long as you can makes sense.
    In my opinion, no one who wants modest gain at any age should be discouraged. Women in particular who have had a sedentary lifestyle,are overweight and trying to change that, and who are aging can benefit by a modest lifting program while changing their eating habits.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think what's dishearting is losing strength as you age. After age 45, I've noticed year by year a little less strength than what I did the previous year. I'm still in much much better shape and stronger (relative) than most males in my age group, but the losses can sometimes be disappointing. But hey, that's how it goes and I just comply. I want to go into my later years physically active rather than getting injured trying to attepmt a lift I could do 5 years ago just for ego's sake.
    My strongman uncle was lifting very heavy into his late 50's but warned me to stop now before I ended up like him. I did as he advised!
    He's is now in his 70's barely able to raise his arms laterally and is afflicted with arthritis is every joint.
    My bench, deadlift and squat is light compared to how I maxed out years before.

My uncle said he was always trying to compete with his younger self. Don't do it!

It is all a matter of perspective (my opinion only, I do not have the experience or credentials to back it up, but it is what I think).
    If you are a strongman, it makes sense to realize you aren't always going to be at the height of your powers, and to adjust downwards.
    If you are not strong to begin with, facing further muscle loss through age, making modest gains and trying to keep those gains as long as you can makes sense.
    In my opinion, no one who wants modest gain at any age should be discouraged. Women in particular who have had a sedentary lifestyle,are overweight and trying to change that, and who are aging can benefit by a modest lifting program while changing their eating habits.
    It's not uncommon though to see a gentleman in their 70's and up using much more weight than they need to on a leg press or deadlift or other exercises out of ego. There's a guy in our gym who's 70's who's leg pressing (if you can call it that) 6 plates on each side for a quarter squat. When told it would be more beneficial to reduce the weight and do a more full range press, he scoffs it off as he's been doing this weight since his 30's.
    At least he reracks his weights.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 70 and work out 5 days a week. As you get older, the joints wear out and your ligiments are not as flexible. If you go past what your joints and ligiments will allow you may cause an injury. I have been lififting weights a long time and you can't get felexibility back but you can retain your muscles. I know that at my age I have to loose as much body weight while still retain muscle strength to be as fit as I like. The less weight your joints have to support will help you alot as long as you keep your muscle strength. You just have to change the way you lift as you get older.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm almost 70 and work out 5 days a week. As you get older, the joints wear out and your ligiments are not as flexible. If you go past what your joints and ligiments will allow you may cause an injury. I have been lififting weights a long time and you can't get felexibility back but you can retain your muscles. I know that at my age I have to loose as much body weight while still retain muscle strength to be as fit as I like. The less weight your joints have to support will help you alot as long as you keep your muscle strength. You just have to change the way you lift as you get older.
    I disagree about flexibility not being able to be restored, however if you're saying that joints and ligaments are not as strong and pliable, then why use max poundages for partial reps? Max poundages put more strain on the joint and ligaments than exercise motion that's correct in performance with a resistance one can handle for it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

From personal experience, I would disagree about not being able to get flexibility back. I'm in my late 50's and lost a bunch of flexibility due to an office job. I've working on it hard for the last couple years and while I don't move like a 14 YO female gymnast, I move better than most people my age and better than I did say 15 years ago.
  • Lucille4444
    Options
    Both of you give examples of older people already lifting. My post was about older people just now getting into weightlifting, for modest gains or to prevent some muscle loss.
    I absolutely think there is a place, and a need, for a modest strength training program for many seniors who have not done this before.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I first would get clearance from your doctor before starting any exercise. If Ok then join a gym that has weight machines for each body part. Have someone from the staff show you how to adjust and use each machine. These machines are great for a full body workout for someone who desires strength increase. I don't think your ever too old to exercise. Progress at your own pace as you become use to exercise. Don't listen to anyone except the gym staff and then don't do anything you are uncomfortable with. It may be hard at first but after a few weeks you should be aquainted with doing it. My mother who is in her 90's joined a gym with my coaxing and does the bike, treadmill and circut machines. She said she feels funny because she is always the oldest person in the gym. I told her to be proud.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Both of you give examples of older people already lifting. My post was about older people just now getting into weightlifting, for modest gains or to prevent some muscle loss.
    I absolutely think there is a place, and a need, for a modest strength training program for many seniors who have not done this before.
    There are lots of studies out there showing the benefit of strength programs for seniors and how many get pain relief along with better physical improvement by implementing it into their lives.
    The biggest issues for most seniors is lack of any or minimal physical activity and lack of exercising the upper body which can lead to that hunched over look.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Lucille4444
    Options
    I first would get clearance from your doctor before starting any exercise. If Ok then join a gym that has weight machines for each body part. Have someone from the staff show you how to adjust and use each machine. These machines are great for a full body workout for someone who desires strength increase. I don't think your ever too old to exercise. Progress at your own pace as you become use to exercise. Don't listen to anyone except the gym staff and then don't do anything you are uncomfortable with. It may be hard at first but after a few weeks you should be aquainted with doing it. My mother who is in her 90's joined a gym with my coaxing and does the bike, treadmill and circut machines. She said she feels funny because she is always the oldest person in the gym. I told her to be proud.
    I purchased a weight set and some other machines, have been exercising at home.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do wonder sometimes about the science behind growing muscle.
    I did a long slow natural climb of 12lb over 3 years and think that it was more or less 80% muscle, maybe more, and believe I sort of kept my existing fat and added some more (though I'm still relatively lean as that was coming from skinny), I didn't do anything really intentional except the working out differently, which would support the idea that it's eating a little more and working out heavier that leads to real muscle growth, and understand that you can't literally turn fat into muscle, even though people do appear to be doing that sometimes. Is "recomposition" a small ongoing series of days over and days under? Like your body takes the opportunity to grow some muscle when it finds the extra calories, and burns off the fat when it has to, because you didn't eat enough for a few days? You feel like you are eating to maintain, but really it's made up of days over and days under, I'd guess, nobody can get that exactly balanced.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So we r saying that if u r in a slight calorie deficit and lift weights, ur muscles don't respond to the stress being put on?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So we r saying that if u r in a slight calorie deficit and lift weights, ur muscles don't respond to the stress being put on?

They will not appreciably grow in size* in nearly all cases**, correct.

*but strength increases are still possible

**extreme novices or returning athletes excepted