Muscle gaining misconceptions

Options

Replies

• alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting weights. I'm not quite sure of something. If I weight train while losing weight that's good as I understand it but when I get to my desired weight then I would have to "eat to gain" in order to build muscle? Is that right? Also been seeing "recomp" a lot. What exactly does that mean? Thank you in advance.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Great thread !!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Think you are underestimating quite how low many people's start point is and in my opinion this statement is over-stated - "It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases."
    Calorie deficit is very vague too - 50, 100, 500, 1000 a day?

"Few cases" applies to a huge slice of the population who are undertrained or sedentary and also carrying around a massive energy store.

Strength/weight training is such a minority pursuit that there are loads of people with the potential to make muscle gains as long as they don't go for an excessive calorie deficit and train appropriately. Trying to project what bodybuilders have to do to make incremental gains when they are already fully trained and lean to the general under-trained and fat population is misleading.

That people mistake strength gains and improvements in definition for actual muscle growth is well known but the rest is a bit exagerated in my view.

It's possible, but in the same vein, I think you're overestimating what the majority of sedentary, undertrained newbs are performing for their strength and muscle building programs. To say They are typically following a suboptimal regimen is being generous. Even those that luck into decent programming are so out of shape that they don't yet have the stamina to put forth maximum effort.

The newbs that come on this board and claim to have gotten so bulky overwhelmingly reveal a training structure that's unlikely to produce any gains at all. Combined with their deficit eating, the issue most likely resides in their own minds.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Think you are underestimating quite how low many people's start point is and in my opinion this statement is over-stated - "It's improbable to gain muscle while on a calorie deficit. It CAN happen in a few cases."

"Few cases" applies to a huge slice of the population who are undertrained or sedentary and also carrying around a massive energy store.

Strength/weight training is such a minority pursuit that there are loads of people with the potential to make muscle gains as long as they don't go for an excessive calorie deficit and train appropriately. Trying to project what bodybuilders have to do to make incremental gains when they are already fully trained and lean to the general under-trained and fat population is misleading.

That people mistake strength gains and improvements in definition for actual muscle growth is well known but the rest is a bit exagerated in my view.
    But it doesn't just apply to bodybuilders. In general, this applies to regular population. As I mentioned IF there is room for someone to lose excessive fat, then there's a possibility to still gain some muscle even while in a calorie deficit, however someone with not much to lose at all, at deficit and trying to add say 10lbs of muscle ISN'T going to do it on a calorie deficit. Enlighten me if you can link me to something that supports that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I disagree but that's OK. Your background and experience is different to mine. My muscle gain or loss has virtually all been to do with training and very little to do with calorie surplus or deficit. I've lost muscle in a surplus and gained it in a deficit. Even lost and gained muscle at the same time.

Again though you are using calorie deficit as a catch-all term. We both know (I hope) there is a world of difference between small deficits and large deficits over long term. What we probably agree on is the need for good training, appropriate deficit and good nutrition while cutting. I'm just more optimistic about the possible results than you.

The alternative would be for you to provide a link to something that supports your stance - a long term study done on regular everyday people (sedentary non gym goers perhaps?) who are overweight, lose weight slowly, with a good training program and adequate macros and shows they cannot gain significant amounts of muscle. I've never seen one.

Almost all of the studies I've seen have been on the general population such as untrained college students. It's fairly rare for decent studies to be done with seasoned bodybuilders. I have issues with the methods used in both types of studies, but most of the ones supporting Niner's position will have been performed on the sedentary, untrained subjects that you're referring to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Great post.
    Perhaps you can consider adding a phrase or two on how lifting during weightloss can help preserve existing muscle. Or perhaps the oposit, about how that muscle (in obese people) gets lost without strength training. Just for completion sake.
    You pretty much said it. I'll just add that people who rely on diet and just cardio only to lose weight may lose a good amount of muscle along with the fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm new to lifting weights. I'm not quite sure of something. If I weight train while losing weight that's good as I understand it but when I get to my desired weight then I would have to "eat to gain" in order to build muscle? Is that right? Also been seeing "recomp" a lot. What exactly does that mean? Thank you in advance.
    Recomp is continuing with a progressive weight lifting regimen at a maintenance if there's still fat to lose, or a slight surplus so one doesn't bulk up too much. Gaining muscle on this program can happen, but it's a long process. It may take months just to put on a pound or so of muscle.
    And yes if you want to build muscle, you're going to add mass. That does require a surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

But it doesn't just apply to bodybuilders. In general, this applies to regular population. As I mentioned IF there is room for someone to lose excessive fat, then there's a possibility to still gain some muscle even while in a calorie deficit, however someone with not much to lose at all, at deficit and trying to add say 10lbs of muscle ISN'T going to do it on a calorie deficit. Enlighten me if you can link me to something that supports that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I disagree but that's OK. Your background and experience is different to mine. My muscle gain or loss has virtually all been to do with training and very little to do with calorie surplus or deficit. I've lost muscle in a surplus and gained it in a deficit. Even lost and gained muscle at the same time.

Again though you are using calorie deficit as a catch-all term. We both know (I hope) there is a world of difference between small deficits and large deficits over long term. What we probably agree on is the need for good training, appropriate deficit and good nutrition while cutting. I'm just more optimistic about the possible results than you.

The alternative would be for you to provide a link to something that supports your stance - a long term study done on regular everyday people (sedentary non gym goers perhaps?) who are overweight, lose weight slowly, with a good training program and adequate macros and shows they cannot gain significant amounts of muscle. I've never seen one.
    If were looking at it physiologically, you either are gaining or losing muscle. Most of the time it's just small changes not noticeable on a daily basis if one is in maintenance.
    I'll look for some study or research for what you mentioned, but when losing tissue (catabolic) I do know that mTOR and other muscle building pathways are disrupted versus when one is being anabolic.
    Catabolism and anabolism are both constantly going on in the body. Pathways don't have on and off switches, they're all just rates that vary.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

If were looking at it physiologically, you either are gaining or losing muscle. Most of the time it's just small changes not noticeable on a daily basis if one is in maintenance.
    I'll look for some study or research for what you mentioned, but when losing tissue (catabolic) I do know that mTOR and other muscle building pathways are disrupted versus when one is being anabolic.
    Catabolism and anabolism are both constantly going on in the body. Pathways don't have on and off switches, they're all just rates that vary.
    Touche'. You elaboration on it was more concise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My use of "at the same time" was as vague as your use of "calorie deficit".
    Had you asked I would have explained it was two distinct three month periods. Muscle atrophy or hypertrophy isn't just a function of calorie balance as I'm sure you know.

First 3 months.
    Major knee injury with leg either immobilised or flapping uselessly in the breeze. 5" loss of quad circumference but at same time very significant tricep and trap growth from the novel training stimulus of going everywhere on crutches. (BTW - novel training stimulus is missing from your list of "few cases".) Major calorie surplus!

Second 3 months.
    Surgery, learning to walk again and mostly stair climbing restored 3" to quad size very rapidly. Simultaneously lost most of my newly gained coke bottle shoulders. Small calorie deficit.

Taking away the injury related atrophy/hypertrophy and just using a more relevant example:
    In my fifties when cutting everything indicated that I lose muscle mass at 1lb/week deficit but can gain small amounts of muscle at 1lb/month - somewhere in that range was my personal tipping point and it definitely wasn't TDEE. In my twenties those numbers would have been very different as I was genetically gifted compared to my peer group - that's another of the "few cases" missing.

My major objection to your OP is turning generalisations into absolutes. That leads to the uneducated parroting trite phrases such as "you can't gain muscle in a deficit".
    I'm sure no-one would really believe that someone with a TDEE of 3000 per day can:
    Gain muscle at 3001
    Recomp at 3000 (unless very lean)
    Impossible to gain muscle at 2999

That's obviously taking it to ludicrous extremes but that's what making absolute statements does.

Regards.
    Certified.
    Black belt in Origami.
    Been keeping fit for 40 years and have studied Shibari enthusiastically.

• gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ... My major objection to your OP is turning generalisations into absolutes. That leads to the uneducated parroting trite phrases such as "you can't gain muscle in a deficit".
    I'm sure no-one would really believe that someone with a TDEE of 3000 per day can:
    Gain muscle at 3001

That's obviously taking it to ludicrous extremes but that's what making absolute statements does.

Regards.
    Certified.
    Black belt in Origami.

Thank you.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Recomp is continuing with a progressive weight lifting regimen at a maintenance if there's still fat to lose, or a slight surplus so one doesn't bulk up too much. Gaining muscle on this program can happen, but it's a long process. It may take months just to put on a pound or so of muscle.
    And yes if you want to build muscle, you're going to add mass. That does require a surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you so much for answering my question. So even with a substantial amount of weight to lose (at least 50+ lbs) this is the way to go? Eat at maintainence +15% on days lifting and maintainence -10% on cardio or rest days? Instead of the usual mfp's at 1 lb a week or 2 lbs a week etc.
    It feels scary to do Lol but I'm willing to try it.
    I lift 3 days a week for an hour with a personal trainer and am 5'10". 61 yrs old female.
    When you say it takes a long time you are talking about gaining muscle. Will this also slow down the losing weight part of it?
    Again, thank you so much and thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Alfie.

Edit. I think I got that formula on another thread but does that seem correct?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you so much for answering my question. So even with a substantial amount of weight to lose (at least 50+ lbs) this is the way to go? Eat at maintainence +15% on days lifting and maintainence -10% on cardio or rest days? Instead of the usual mfp's at 1 lb a week or 2 lbs a week etc.
    I lift 3 days a week for an hour with a personal trainer and am 5'10". 61 yrs old female.
    When you say it takes a long time you are talking about gaining muscle. Will this also slow down the losing weight part of it?
    Regards
    Alfie.

If you still have quite some weight to lose you shouldn't do recomp.
    Recomp is adding muscle and losing fat while maintaining the same bodyweight. So basically for people who are at their goal weight but unhappy about their bodyfat percentage.
    So for now continue eating at a defecit and continue lifting. Through lifting you maintain muscle you would otherwise lose as a part of normal weightloss. So now most of your weightloss is fat loss, which will make your already existing muscles more visible. You will however not add more muscle mass.
    That does not mean that your muscles can't already become visible through your fat loss. Some people are fortunate enough to come out of their weightloss having that slim and fit look showing some muscle, without additional muscle mass. Key thing is to continue lifting weights.

If you would like to add more muscle mass, best thing to do is reach your goal weight and decide to either recomp or bulk when you get there.
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My use of "at the same time" was as vague as your use of "calorie deficit".
    Had you asked I would have explained it was two distinct three month periods. Muscle atrophy or hypertrophy isn't just a function of calorie balance as I'm sure you know.

First 3 months.
    Major knee injury with leg either immobilised or flapping uselessly in the breeze. 5" loss of quad circumference but at same time very significant tricep and trap growth from the novel training stimulus of going everywhere on crutches. (BTW - novel training stimulus is missing from your list of "few cases".) Major calorie surplus!

Second 3 months.
    Surgery, learning to walk again and mostly stair climbing restored 3" to quad size very rapidly. Simultaneously lost most of my newly gained coke bottle shoulders. Small calorie deficit.

Taking away the injury related atrophy/hypertrophy and just using a more relevant example:
    In my fifties when cutting everything indicated that I lose muscle mass at 1lb/week deficit but can gain small amounts of muscle at 1lb/month - somewhere in that range was my personal tipping point and it definitely wasn't TDEE. In my twenties those numbers would have been very different as I was genetically gifted compared to my peer group - that's another of the "few cases" missing.

My major objection to your OP is turning generalisations into absolutes. That leads to the uneducated parroting trite phrases such as "you can't gain muscle in a deficit".
    Gain muscle at 3001

Regards.
    Certified.
    Black belt in Origami.
    Lol, I'm sure that people weren't taking my statements as measure down to literally the exact calories possible. The the general statement is that building muscle on a deficit isn't a probability with the exceptions of the ones I stated earlier. On absolutes, okay I'll agree. That 1 calorie DOES make a difference in absolutes.
    Your situation you described happened with atrophy/hypertrophy due to intentional non use. Let's stick to the OP and keep discussing people who are intentionally trying to put on muscle while relatively healthy enough to do so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ... My major objection to your OP is turning generalisations into absolutes. That leads to the uneducated parroting trite phrases such as "you can't gain muscle in a deficit".
    Gain muscle at 3001

Regards.
    Certified.
    Black belt in Origami.

Thank you.
    I cordially invite you to participate in discussion.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Regards
    Alfie.

I wouldn't focus on recomp if you have that much weight to still lose. Just stay at deficit. Also understand that age and gender have a direct effect on the effectiveness of muscle gaining due to metabolic rate and hormone activity (unless of course there's some enhancement going on).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you!!
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Regards
    Alfie.

Recomp is adding muscle and losing fat while maintaining the same bodyweight. So basically for people who are at their goal weight but unhappy about their bodyfat percentage.
    So for now continue eating at a defecit and continue lifting. Through lifting you maintain muscle you would otherwise lose as a part of normal weightloss. So now most of your weightloss is fat loss, which will make your already existing muscles more visible. You will however not add more muscle mass.
    That does not mean that your muscles can't already become visible through your fat loss. Some people are fortunate enough to come out of their weightloss having that slim and fit look showing some muscle, without additional muscle mass. Key thing is to continue lifting weights.

If you would like to add more muscle mass, best thing to do is reach your goal weight and decide to either recomp or bulk when you get there.

Thank you so much AslSmile. I totally (finally) understand. Makes lots of sense.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Regards
    Alfie.

I wouldn't focus on recomp if you have that much weight to still lose. Just stay at deficit. Also understand that age and gender have a direct effect on the effectiveness of muscle gaining due to metabolic rate and hormone activity (unless of course there's some enhancement going on).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Awesome. Thank you ninerbuff I appreciate all of your help.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Regards
    Alfie.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Awesome. Thank you ninerbuff I appreciate all of your help.
    My pleasure. Just kill it in the gym each session.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Regards
    Alfie.

Thank you so much AslSmile. I totally (finally) understand. Makes lots of sense.

Glad I could help