WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    dlm4mom wrote: »
    I am not sure how to join a post I loved reading these posts and I think joining would motivate me. I am 57 and live in Michigan. I started mfp in February and have done ok for the most part. I was down 17 pounds but had a vacation where I completely messed up and gained 5 pounds in a week so i am starting again this week. It was a great vacation though with my two young adult daughters and I made them beautiful meals every night. I work long stressful days and sometimes i am just so tired that I ignore what I know I should be doing because it is just so hard. Here are my goals,kind of easy goals at first.
    1 Walk 10000 steps twice a week Not easy for me!!!! 2. Log it all
    3. Do something fun for one hour ada. 4 add a new goal every week

You joined just by posting....come back every day and read the posts and respond to something or share about yourself or ask a question....in a very short time you will feel like you've known us forever.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :) Happy Friday! :)

Cheri-Fairlawn, Ohio
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    lillymay - YEAYYY FOR YOUR LOSS!!!

Well kids - came home from the boner doctor as i call him and it looks like surgery after all. they took another X-ray and remember my list of questions? i didn't get to start on them before he started talking.
    he said that it looked like it was poking up more than it was before.
    also thinks that just pins and screws would be enough.
    he now realizes that i am more active than the standard office worker that he wants to refer me to his colleague to do reconstructive surgery. he will be able to see how it can be done in the least invasive way with the least down time.
    he said they could probably get it done b4 the end of the month, i told him i can't because i got the bike ride to do.
    i asked if i can do this AFTER the bike ride and before november (so i can be fully covered while my deductible is pd for)

a lot of questions will have to wait until i see the new guy (the assistants all said this guy is GOOD, (which makes me feel good knowing that). i also asked if it will be covered by ins. he said it should be cuz they will ask for approval

Thank you Pip - I would love to lose 4 pounds - but it was Joyce in Indiana that lost 4 pounds.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Still figuring out how to find this women over 50 thread on a daily basis.Any suggestions? I haven't lost anything these past two weeks, but find myself gaining and losing the same 3 lb range. I'd lost 27-30 this summer depending upon which day I weigh myself. Anyone else see this plateau trend? I'm going to be more meticulous about eating well. I feel so much better swimming and doing water aerobics 4-5 times a week.

Moira
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    pjnva wrote: »
    Lillian- I know your struggles with your sistera first hand. I have an older sister and a younger sister and I can count the times on one had when all three have us have been getting along. Both as children and as adults. My only advice would be be true to who you are and love them both with all you have.

PJ in VA

Sorry PJ - I think you mixed me up with someone else. I haven't discussed my "lovely" sister here....yet. :(

• Lilymay2
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!

Hopefully today is the last day of the scorcher weather!! DGD is coming for a sleep over so I won't have much time to "talk" to you girls.

About names.... I haven't had a lot of changes in my name. I have had my husbands last name "McGowan" for 30 years. Lillian is my mom's middle name, my maternal grandmothers middle name and my maternal great grandmothers middle name. My little granddaughter's middle name is Lily-Anne - named after both grandmothers. My dad (and several of his siblings) did not have a middle name, my mom discovered that when she applied for a birth certificate for him. From a my genealogy researcher experience - names are very important. Women are very hard to track because of so many name changes. When people immigrated to this country spelling of names was changed because people couldn't pronounce or spell.... my great grandfather was "BOURGET" (spelled a couple different ways) and when he came to Canada he changed it to BURGESS. I have his family tree researched back to 1600's when the family was in France and then Canada and then into the USA. My maiden name "GORY" comes from Hungary and on my grandfather's Naturalization papers it was spelled "GJORY" and at the bottom the "J" was crossed out and he had initialed it.

Okie peeps.... I better get a move on. Only have an hour and half to get thru the shower and have breakfast and get to town and pick up DGD... then off to get my mom and deliver her to respite care for the weekend and get to a haircut at 1:30 p.m.......Good Grief!!! I sure do pack it all in a day....

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Actually need to work today and cannot do more than skim and say:
    Heather--love the photo!
    Beth -- thank for the info-- anybody who can lose that much can do it again!
    Sister problems -- was much younger than my two (late baby as they used to call it) --one died early in the nineties and the other just sends a card at Christmas to maybe show she is still alive? Tried to email a photo this year and got the really short reply. No fight or disagreement, just pretty much silence ever since she married husband No. 3. Some things are not meant to be it seems...
    Welcome to the new ladies!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Well, I am between the 2 week weigh-in; but, I went to my MD yesterday to have 4 stitches taken out of my arm and also to see why, after hacking for 3 weeks, the cough had turned into what seemed like a 'cat hacking up a hairball' only with nothing coming up. He put me on another steroid for 5 days and then I have to go back to see him. Told me that I had some 'old' scar tissue in lungs; but, it hasn't seemed to change in the past couple of years. He is going to have the Radiologist look at it. Having some pain just to the left of my left breast over the rib that I cracked a year ago (same seizure). He said he might put me on an inhaler. ????? If his scales are consistent with the scales I get weighed on every other Tuesday ... looks like I have lost down to 177lb which is 22lbs since I started, with only one week gaining one (after a long weekend vacation). I'll really have to watch what I eat when we go to Louisiana for sure. Hope my laptop is back by then. The keys were sticking and since it was only 5 weeks old, I returned it for service or replacement. Some of my shorts are hanging from the top of my pelvic bone. That makes me very happy! Several inches and now it seems like I am finally losing my belly. I think it is all the pool exercise that I do. I hate to admit that the treadmill will have to become my 'friend' for during the time that the pool water will be too cool to get in.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Joyce - I talk to Jack about all my family on here as if we've known each other for years. Some days y'all are my lifeline. So glad I found you.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sharon the day of henna application dx0n7sjiramq.jpg
    She calls it a Peace Flower because DD says pixies are all up in my business
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DS and I brought the sailboat up the Columbia River today from Astoria to our place on the river. We had a glorious motor sail all the way into the boat slip. We travelled upstream on a rising tide and were thrilled at how fast we got here. It took us about 9 hours to travel from the dock in Astoria to our dock. We had an upriver wind and an incoming tide to help us. I'm very happy with the ride. :star::bigsmile: :star:

lucky you, I wanna goooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Quick hello from lovely Mexico. Having the best vacation ever. Stopped for coffee after working out this morning, only skipped 2 days this week and am happy with that. Eating and drinking way too much but will be back on track Sunday.
    Love to all
    Chris who lives in MA but now in Mexico
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Y'all are simply the best, and I don't say it often enough. This is genuinely a haven for me, and considering hothouse, small-town life, the one place where I could say the things I needed to say without having to worry about who's listening or who's talking. It's been a blessing of no small proportions, and I thank each and every one of you.

One more week and we're off, and while I may worry about the restaurant some, I'm getting better and better about not worrying about what I can't change... changing what I can, and moving forward. "The wisdom to know the difference," between the two sometimes involves beating my head up bloody against unmovable walls... but I eventually figure it out.

Love all of y'all... off to the races! Supposedly off the weekend, hopefully no major disasters. Fingers crossed...

Lisa in hot-hot-hot West Texas.

IT'S OKAY, I NEVER SAY IT! LOLOLOLOLOLOLololol

you are all da bomb!! love you all mucho
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    lillymay - YEAYYY FOR YOUR LOSS!!!

Well kids - came home from the boner doctor as i call him and it looks like surgery after all. they took another X-ray and remember my list of questions? i didn't get to start on them before he started talking.
    he said that it looked like it was poking up more than it was before.
    also thinks that just pins and screws would be enough.
    he now realizes that i am more active than the standard office worker that he wants to refer me to his colleague to do reconstructive surgery. he will be able to see how it can be done in the least invasive way with the least down time.
    he said they could probably get it done b4 the end of the month, i told him i can't because i got the bike ride to do.
    i asked if i can do this AFTER the bike ride and before november (so i can be fully covered while my deductible is pd for)

a lot of questions will have to wait until i see the new guy (the assistants all said this guy is GOOD, (which makes me feel good knowing that). i also asked if it will be covered by ins. he said it should be cuz they will ask for approval

Thank you Pip - I would love to lose 4 pounds - but it was Joyce in Indiana that lost 4 pounds.

oopsieeeee but YOU WILL lose 4 lbs!! I know it!!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just got back from walking with my friend, then having breakfast with hubby. I thought I'd chime in before I shower and get on with my day.

Yesterday I spent all day trying to make a tri-fold brochure for my potters group and was really, really struggling with it. First, I've never done one before, so figuring out where the folds go was a pain in the butt. I tried using a template, but couldn't figure out how to use a template either, and none of the templates really looked like they fit our purpose. Secondly, only two people out of 30 sent me any kind of photos to use for the thing. So I was searching my hard drive looking for older photos I could use. I spent hours just looking at photos! And thirdly, I can't decide what to write in the brochure, or whether to list the members names or not. We need this for a promotional opportunity next week, so I have to finish it today. Another lady with access to a color laser printer is going to print off what we need for next week, then we will have more printed somewhere else after that. I don't know what makes these people think I can do this, but I've somehow become the one who does all the postcards and posters for the group. When the idea of a brochure came up I suggested putting together a committee but couldn't get anybody to volunteer.

Last night I attended a small workshop on making and using decals to decorate pots. That was great fun, and I got to spend some time with several of my pottery friends. But just before I left for the workshop I got a frantic email from one of my drafting clients who desperately needed a revision by this morning, so after the workshop I went up to the studio and did that. Didn't get home till 11:30, and got up at 6 to go walk with my friend. So, I'm tired already.

Gotta get busy. Take care, and have a great day!

Sylvia

Ps: pip, I'm so glad you are going to get your shoulder fixed! I've been worried about you.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Morning!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee and NCCarol – I was lucky with my menopause symptoms and got through it without too much trouble so I don’t have firsthand knowledge of the efficacy of any remedies. However, I have at least 3 friends who swear by sweet potatoes. They all claim that ½ of a baked sweet potato every day reduced their hot flashes tremendously. I seem to recall that it took about 3 days before they noticed a difference. Not sure of the reason behind it, but thought I would toss it out there in case you wanted to try it.

Mia in MI

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Terri love the henna tattoo.

Made zucchini pancake for breakfast using ground oatmeal for my flour. It was more doughy than a regular pancake. It was delicious. Thought about making muffins but too hot today. We have an overload of zucchini at the moment. I am trying to think of creative ways to use it.

48fhfh8r1ydz.jpg

I had another doily framed. I wanted to have the same frame as the other one and I was afraid they might discontinue it before I got to I got to it. I am happier with this one than the last one and I50a170tnpuc5.jpg
    was happy with that one too.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ! ! !

Jane – baby steps. This is a marathon not a sprint. You Can Do It ! ! !

Becca – Hugs for you and your sisters.

Miriam – Hugs for your past, and current strength. So proud of you!

Carol – Hugs. Keep doing what you can, and what it takes to take care of yourself.

Pip – Hugs! I am confident that this doctor will do right by you !

Lillian – Way to Go setting the timer and getting your exercise !

Melinda – Sorry about the loss of your sisters. I’m glad you can have nice relationships with your living siblings.

Joyce – Nice food choices at Bonefish Grill. Yes, my DH sometimes rolls his eyes, because I talk about all of you like we have been lifelong friends. But since you all keep me happy, he is okay with it.

Sharon – I hope the picture posted, I sent it from my phone. It is on the inside of my right forearm. DH tried scratching it off again last night. He makes me laugh.

Moria (and everybody new who may need the help) – At the top of the thread there is an empty grey star. When you click on it the star will turn yellow. Then when you search under “community” and click the top star you can choose this thread. If someone already typed this, or typed it better, listen to them.

Lillian – so funny that so many people were plunking things onto you. You must be REALLY loved here.

For Restaurant coupons : Has everyone tried Groupon or LivingSocial or Restaurant.com ? We use all of them from time to time (when we have time to prepare). We also use them to try places we have never been. If it is fancy, it will be just my Dad and me. Casual for DS and DH. Buffet, Chinese, or Italian for DD.

Today is DS's 15th Birthday. I guess he and 3 friends are spending the day at Wisc. State Fair, then spending the night at someone's house. A little sad when they want to spread their wings, but good for him, too.

Last night after work I decided that i was so hungry I needed 4 slices of pizza, so after warming them, I sat down and only wanted 2. Yay NSV. However, couldn't sleep last night (too much knee pain to get comfortable), so now I'm terribly hungry today, so I only brought enough food to satisfy my lifestyle. Used the handbike before work because of the darned knee, but that's exercise, and good for my upper body.

Lunch time soon, and really just want to nap.

Hugs for Everyone ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Joyce, my car is older than yours. It is a 98 Honda civic that I inherited from my aunt.

Thanks for all the support! I have gone through life without a lot of support and it is wonderful to get it here!