Does high calorie food you used to eat disgust you?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Lol MOUSSE not mouse, that is maybe more gross than icing (marginally)

Snort!

rc592mkh4xkg.jpeg

Lol
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I found I am not able to eat as much high sugar food like a Snickers bar, Peppermint Patty or cookies without feeling sick, but that wasn't something I deliberately set out to do.

I do have to agree with this. I need less to feel satisfied than I used to. And I get sick faster (sugar headaches or upset tummy from too rich).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    still love all of it.
    especially that above mentioned cheesecake
    and brownies and ice cream.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You mean like cheesecake? NOPE, I still eat it! Especially chocolate kind!
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

And this?y5gm27ue7h8m.gif

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think this is something you see a lot with people just starting out on a diet/MFP/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it, when they're running on that early excitement and adrenaline rush of weight loss and proclaim how they've totally lost their appetite for fast food or sweets or whatever else. I personally find this wears off over time and it's somewhat mental anyway.

I definitely can't eat the volume of food I ate when I was substantially heavier and I am more aware that certain foods can make me queasy, but I don't expect to ever have a day in my life that french fries or cupcakes are no longer appetizing. I've been doing this for 6.5 years and I still find junk food to be delicious.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Nope. Food I used to eat often (like Taco Bell) that I now only eat occasionally, is still delicious. In fact, I think it's even better now that I don't have it as frequently.
  • MoonCatKDT
    MoonCatKDT Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't find that I have lost my taste for specific foods, but I have been disappointed in foods. For example, after 3 months of not eating my favorite chocolate bar I splurged and had one. It just wasn't as good as I had it built up in my head to be. Kind of underwhelming? Like it was good but not as good as I remembered it and probably not worth the calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There's usually at least a thread a day where someone expresses disgust over foods they used to eat and enjoy. Personally, this sort of attitude strikes me as borderline disordered but it may be as good a strategy as any in promoting healthier food habits.

Harnessing the power of disgust: a randomized trial to reduce high-calorie food appeal through implicit priming

"In our increasingly obesogenic environment, in which high-calorie convenience foods are readily available, food choices can drastically affect weight and overall health. Learned food preferences, which are developed through repeated pairings with positively and negatively valenced stimuli, can contribute to obesity susceptibility if positive attitudes toward high-calorie foods are developed. Thus, the modification of automatic associations with food may be a viable strategy to promote healthier eating behaviors."

What do you think? Has anyone deliberately set out to change their attitudes towards the foods they eat? Was it effective?

It strikes me as disordered.

In fact, what it reminds me of are people trying to convince themselves that certain sex acts they are drawn too (I'm thinking homosexual, but really any kinds that they are brought up to think are wrong) are disgusting and then when they are not able to consistently lie to themselves (because of course they can't) feeling even worse and disgusting themselves.

That said, I changed my taste somewhat (years ago, nothing to do with losing weight) by finding ways to think positively about foods that I hadn't been that interested in before (largely vegetables) such that I get excited about the next thing in season, trying new vegetables and preparations, so on. Also, I think people's tastes are largely formed by what they eat a lot -- I always find that what I crave is along the lines of what I tend to eat -- so if you switch to a more nutrient-dense, balanced, healthy diet, then you will likely tend to appreciate those foods more and, IMO, perhaps recognize that they are actually tastier when well cooked than some of the things you liked before.

However, I have not had the experience that the foods I used to enjoy stopped being enjoyable. (At some point I stopped enjoying McD's and the like, including really greasy things in general, and began preferring black coffee to coffee with lots of cream and so on, but that was more related to growing up and tastes changing, and was years ago.)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    No. I can't even imagine that all of a sudden foods I liked now taste disgusting because I'm losing weight. It makes no sense to me.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I think this is something you see a lot with people just starting out on a diet/MFP/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it, when they're running on that early excitement and adrenaline rush of weight loss and proclaim how they've totally lost their appetite for fast food or sweets or whatever else. I personally find this wears off over time and it's somewhat mental anyway.

I definitely can't eat the volume of food I ate when I was substantially heavier and I am more aware that certain foods can make me queasy, but I don't expect to ever have a day in my life that french fries or cupcakes are no longer appetizing. I've been doing this for 6.5 years and I still find junk food to be delicious.

Well I guess you're free to not believe what people say, but after time away from chips, I definitely noticed that they leave a kind of coating inside your mouth after the fact, and I didn't find that pleasant. It's also conceivable that people are habituated to those kinds of textures and tastes and only notice them after a period of abstention. And I honesty never saw particular foods as good or bad, at any time

Lol ok eg this https://m.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/edzmq/do_ruffles_chips_leave_an_odd_oily_coatingfilm_in/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.

I still think that buttered saltines are absolutely heavenly. I just don't make it a habit to eat a sleeve of crackers and a stick at butter all at once anymore.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    No they don't disgust me. I don't think I have a bad relationship with food. I might, but I don't think so. I do notice that a lot of things taste different than I thought they actually did. A lot of packaged baked goods have a chemical taste. I filched one of my husband's Lays from his plate and wow was it salty. Which is odd because I'm over my sodium every day. The smell of microwaved popcorn popping turns me off but I like it when it's done. My husband had some and I grabbed a handful. It left this awful greasy salty taste on the roof of my mouth. Even brushing my teeth didn't get rid of that one.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I drastically reduced our fat and salt consumption for a month, boy our tastes changed. We both now reject foods that are over-salted. I pick fresher and stronger flavoured vegetables as I'd rather taste them than the salt.

After that month was over, we decided to splurge on some KFC. That was a mistake. It was one of the most miserable meals we ever had, and we still talk about it. Greasy, salty, slimy, ick.

What are the odds that I'm nodding and agreeing....

...WHILE EATING KFC!!!

No, I don't think the foods are disgusting. They just make me has sad because I can't have them as often as I used to, at the same quantities.

I do understand having a physical reaction to some items, though. After drinking diet soda for years, regular upsets my stomach if I drink a whole 20 oz at once. Which I do ALL the time with diet pop

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced anything like this, but then again I never internalized being overweight.

I engaged in poor behavior, became aware of this behavior, and changed this behavior. I eat all the same foods I always did, just less of them.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. High calorie food is still delicious - just can't have as much of it or have it as often.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The only thing that disgusts me is the amount of ranch dressing i would slather, dip, and smother all of my food in.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nope.

And ftr, my stomach hasn't gotten smaller either. I can still eat as much as I used to.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am disgusted more by the hog I became as opposed to the actual food.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No i still love it, no need to give up chcolate, take aways , bacon, pizza etc etc.
    Demonising food is very dull and silly.
    I do get down to the gym more and pay the piper so to speak as well as not eating it in the large amounts I used to.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Nope.

And ftr, my stomach hasn't gotten smaller either. I can still eat as much as I used to.

I think my capacity has increased - actually considering entering a bacon eating contest and know I could dominate this dojo!