Does high calorie food you used to eat disgust you?

Options
There's usually at least a thread a day where someone expresses disgust over foods they used to eat and enjoy. Personally, this sort of attitude strikes me as borderline disordered but it may be as good a strategy as any in promoting healthier food habits.

Harnessing the power of disgust: a randomized trial to reduce high-calorie food appeal through implicit priming

"In our increasingly obesogenic environment, in which high-calorie convenience foods are readily available, food choices can drastically affect weight and overall health. Learned food preferences, which are developed through repeated pairings with positively and negatively valenced stimuli, can contribute to obesity susceptibility if positive attitudes toward high-calorie foods are developed. Thus, the modification of automatic associations with food may be a viable strategy to promote healthier eating behaviors."

What do you think? Has anyone deliberately set out to change their attitudes towards the foods they eat? Was it effective?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think that whatever works for someone is wonderful and what they should do!

No, the foods don't disgust me. I feel ucky when I eat really greasy food now, though...not sick or nauseated, but a general uckiness.

There's a line between being afraid of food and being sensible enough to want to eat healthy foods. The "You have an eating disorder!" thing gets played out too often when someone says they want to eat healthy food.

Food doesn't disgust me, but I do make smart food choices.

I am a little disgusted by how I used to look, though.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I do too... and I don't think you need a study to "prove" it works. :p Cultivating diet friendly attitudes, beliefs and behaviors that work for you (beyond calorie counting) are important I think.

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

No, the foods don't disgust me. I feel ucky when I eat really greasy food now, though...not sick or nauseated, but a general uckiness.

There's a line between being afraid of food and being sensible enough to want to eat healthy foods. The "You have an eating disorder!" thing gets played out too often when someone says they want to eat healthy food.

Food doesn't disgust me, but I do make smart food choices.

I am a little disgusted by how I used to look, though.

Exactly this. People need to figure out what works for them and stick with it!

I, too, will now feel sick from certain foods I used to be able to eat quite a bit of (fried, high fat, and very sugary foods), but can still eat small portions of them and certainly would never want to be disgusted by these foods.

I like to think that I am more in touch with how my body responds to food/fullness now and that this plays a role in why I can't eat as much of these foods anymore, as well.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The food doesn't disgust me. It's still yummy and I still want to eat all the things.

Sometimes I'm disgusted with myself for thinking I could eat all of that and not gain weight.

For instance, I bought a cheesecake the other day. I sliced it up to freeze it. I cut this 8" cheesecake into 12 slices (which were tiny) and they're still 310 calories a piece. I would have probably eaten a quarter of that cheesecake before and think nothing of it. Now, because I'm counting, it has to be a "sometimes" food. I can't justify 310 calories on a tiny slice of cheesecake every night. I'd rather eat some ice cream for 160 calories and still have a 150 calorie snack.

I get disgusted by my old habits and rethink how I view some foods. But the food is still yummy as ever.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    After I first ate lower carb for a while, some very high fat/cal things just tasted different in comparison, and were less appetizing. Eg I became more aware of an aftertaste after eating chips, which I experienced as unpleasant, same for foods High in msg . some super high fat things tasted too rich. Never felt like moral disgust or anything like that.

I'm back to not perceiving the difference again though, lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I found I am not able to eat as much high sugar food like a Snickers bar, Peppermint Patty or cookies without feeling sick, but that wasn't something I deliberately set out to do.
  • tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For sweets (only), I've always had an early cap on how much I could eat before I felt nauseous (eg hated birthday cakes as a kid bc found them sickening, especially the icing, gross)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Zod, no. I still love it.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I found I am not able to eat as much high sugar food like a Snickers bar, Peppermint Patty or cookies without feeling sick, but that wasn't something I deliberately set out to do.

Same here. I actually got a migraine after eating a (pretty big) cupcake at a baby shower recently.. it was terrible (the migraine, not the cupcake lol). It was so sweet though and I knew I would regret it as soon as I tasted it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You mean like cheesecake? NOPE, I still eat it! Especially chocolate kind!
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I drastically reduced our fat and salt consumption for a month, boy our tastes changed. We both now reject foods that are over-salted. I pick fresher and stronger flavoured vegetables as I'd rather taste them than the salt.

After that month was over, we decided to splurge on some KFC. That was a mistake. It was one of the most miserable meals we ever had, and we still talk about it. Greasy, salty, slimy, ick.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I still eat lots of calorie dense foods in controlled quantities, like nuts, raisins, and energy bars.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Well, how long ago are we talking? There are a lot of things I used to eat that I've had to stop eating over the years, but celiac disease took most of them out of my life.

I'm a moderation person. I'm not really disgusted by anything I used to eat, except the texture of meat doesn't agree with me any more. One of the many reasons I'm a vegetarian now. But that's not going to the point of the question :p

I'm trying to think... I still eat all my indulgences from my pre-dieting days. Just in smaller portions.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When I drastically reduced our fat and salt consumption for a month, boy our tastes changed. We both now reject foods that are over-salted. I pick fresher and stronger flavoured vegetables as I'd rather taste them than the salt.

After that month was over, we decided to splurge on some KFC. That was a mistake. It was one of the most miserable meals we ever had, and we still talk about it. Greasy, salty, slimy, ick.
    I cannot agree more on the KFC. I used to love that stuff and when I had some after my tastes changed, I felt exactly the same way. Greasy, salty, slimey! And almost no chicken flavor, either. How did I ever like it?!? How did I not even notice the slime? I just don't know.

I guess that did disgust me, lol. But if other people eat it, I'm not like, "Oh, my God, that's so disgusting!"...I'm just thanking God that I eat better food (better tasting, more than better "healthier.")
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No. It's delicious and enjoyed.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You mean like cheesecake? NOPE, I still eat it! Especially chocolate kind!
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

Horses for courses, I guess! Have never been able to choke cheesecake down. If I'm going to have a sweet thing, much prefer one of those minimally sweet euro style cakes, like a walnut torte, or maybe a very lightly sweetened mouse, and not too much of any of it. Or waffles with berries and cream, those are ok. No syrup no cherries ugh
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I still love all kinds of rich, high calorie food. However, I'm choosier about my treats. I won't eat something that I don't love, or that I'm not in the mood for.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Lol MOUSSE not mouse, that is maybe more gross than icing (marginally)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Lol MOUSSE not mouse, that is maybe more gross than icing (marginally)

Snort!

rc592mkh4xkg.jpeg
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It doesn't disgust me what I used to eat because most of it I still do it, just substantially less of it. Of course there are some things I just don't because I find they are not as much bang for your buck kind of food, and I like to eat a lot lol

I do notice though that when I eat things which are higher in fat content or highly processed I have way more digestive issues than I used to. I also noticed they don't taste as good - for example, with my parents the other night they had chips & dip (like plain ruffles with onion dip) and I noticed the chips were gross . . . like I did not like the taste of them. I figured out it's probably because they were super salty and I don't consume a whole lot of extra salt so I really noticed it and I did not like the taste.

I find it very interesting since I used to devour chips and dip, all the time.