Does high calorie food you used to eat disgust you?

Options

Replies

• WVUgirl92
    WVUgirl92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say disgusted, but I simply do not like certain foods anymore. Soda/sweets is one of them. I realized somewhere along the line that I really don't like doughnuts. I have done low carb in the past and tend to do that now, and I think my body got used to not having sugar. I no longer crave it and if I do, a small bite sates me. But not only that, I find I don't really care for soda. Other foods, such as fast food - I just got used to eating at home and I think that over time you realize how good good food tastes. I'd eat at McDonald's or Taco Bell and would wonder, "Why did I just eat that? I didn't even like it." So it's not worth the calories or bad health choices.

Don't get me wrong, I still love food, am always checking out new recipes. And wine, which is my culprit! But I have found my tastes have changed over the years, not just my habits.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    I think this is something you see a lot with people just starting out on a diet/MFP/lifestyle change/whatever you want to call it, when they're running on that early excitement and adrenaline rush of weight loss and proclaim how they've totally lost their appetite for fast food or sweets or whatever else. I personally find this wears off over time and it's somewhat mental anyway.

I definitely can't eat the volume of food I ate when I was substantially heavier and I am more aware that certain foods can make me queasy, but I don't expect to ever have a day in my life that french fries or cupcakes are no longer appetizing. I've been doing this for 6.5 years and I still find junk food to be delicious.

I was going to say more or less the same thing. Often this seems to be the zealotry of the newly converted.

That's not to say that your tastes don't change somewhat, though. I won't deny that at all - I had a bit of a doughnut today and it wasn't all that good. But I have had really good doughnuts too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You mean like cheesecake? NOPE, I still eat it! Especially chocolate kind!
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

Chocolate cheese cake disgusts me.

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

I'll take your portion!

• ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Tomatoey, I know what you're saying and I have experienced that with donuts where they leave that weird coating on your tongue. I think more than anything, people realize they don't really have the appreciation for certain foods they thought they loved. And tastes also just change over time. But except maybe in rare cases, I find it hard to believe that the average person simply loses his or her taste for unhealthy foods and they've magically seen the light. And in my observations, I've most frequently seen these comments in people newer to weight loss and healthy eating.

Maybe I'm the outlier in the opposite direction though. Some people like eating healthy foods, but in a perfect world where I could pick any superpower, it'd be an insane metabolism where I could eat whatever junk I wanted with no health or weight ramifications. I just love food!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tomatoey, I know what you're saying and I have experienced that with donuts where they leave that weird coating on your tongue. I think more than anything, people realize they don't really have the appreciation for certain foods they thought they loved.
    What is the difference between thinking you love a food and actually loving it?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    6aee8qj0mecd.jpg

I'll take your portion!

If you are taking my portion then I insist you have it with pouring cream and a large spoon - that disgusts me the most
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope!!!

Now what really is disgusting is cauliflower!!!!!!

lGcQD8w.gif

;)
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Fast food disgusts me. I never ate much of it, but the last time, a few years ago, that I got a BK Veggie, they loaded it with mayo that I couldn't eat it. Because of that, the thought of any fast food makes me want to vomit. Fried foods, like fried mushrooms, always make my stomach sick, but I will eat them once in a while. They are SOOOOOO good.
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I noticed I'm having a harder time with diet soda. This week I drank more than I should have, and when I did, it made me feel like burping a lot and pretty gross! I even thought I would puke at one point. So now I'm finding that I need to seriously cut back on it, even though I still enjoy it with some meals where water just wouldn't work with what I'm eating (like if I want a pizza). My goal for now is to not have soda at all between meals, but hopefully at some point I can cut it entirely.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I noticed I'm having a harder time with diet soda. This week I drank more than I should have, and when I did, it made me feel like burping a lot and pretty gross! I even thought I would puke at one point. So now I'm finding that I need to seriously cut back on it, even though I still enjoy it with some meals where water just wouldn't work with what I'm eating (like if I want a pizza). My goal for now is to not have soda at all between meals, but hopefully at some point I can cut it entirely.

If I drink too much soda (I only drink diet), I feel like throwing up, also, BUT, I get bad heartburn from too much sodas. I drink MAYBE 3 a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I figured out it's probably because they were super salty and I don't consume a whole lot of extra salt so I really noticed it and I did not like the taste.

This is something I've noticed. I changed my diet and cut back on salt years ago, and after that my tolerance for super salty stuff decreased. I have a friend who is really low sodium at home, and she's gotten way sensitive to really any salt such that it bothers her (she's really picky in general, though, not for health reasons).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Tomatoey, I know what you're saying and I have experienced that with donuts where they leave that weird coating on your tongue. I think more than anything, people realize they don't really have the appreciation for certain foods they thought they loved.
    What is the difference between thinking you love a food and actually loving it?

Exposure to tastier foods. Sometimes, anyway.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    For me it's like another poster poster - it's not worth the calories anymore. For instance, donuts - I used to never pass up a free donut - now I don't bother. It's just not worth the calories.

I do like fried chicken on occasion and I love hush puppies which I never had until I moved south. Sour patch kids are still delicious as are skittles and I love Doritos so much that I hardly ever buy them because I can't stop at just a serving.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    I used to eat stuff I didn't much care about because it was okay and it was there and I wanted to eat, and my behavior in doing that kind of bothers me (although I'm not too hard on myself, it was just dumb). But the foods I ate, while not as good as the foods I want to eat and certainly a waste of calories, don't disgust me. I'm just kind of "they're okay" or "eh" about them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    No. Nothing disgusts.

Since going LCHF I have noticed some things taste better. Water tastes better than it used to for some reason.
  • anneeett
    anneeett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not disgusting, but when I see someone eating, let's say a pizza with WAY too much cheese on it, I kind of feel like "oh my gosh, how could you eat that?! do you know what's in there??", even though I would've had no problem chugging one down myself not too long ago.

Also, I now tend to get stomach aches from eating very greasy or salty foods. Kind of takes away the fun of going to McDonalds knowing that I'll be spending half of the evening in the bathroom afterwards.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There are definitely some foods that have crossed over into the realm of yuck, for me. But, when I really consider what and how I used to eat, most of it was out of either convenience or emotion. Some of it I enjoyed (like Oreos, I think of those fondly, but I also don't miss them.) But other stuff...notsomuch fondness. It wasn't a healthy way to use food, and perhaps it is remembering that feeling that is really what I associate as "yucky." I think I'm lucky though, because I have always loved vegetables, which is thanks to my Mom & Dad, who made sure we grew up with lots of fresh veggies and fruit, often from our own garden.

I have also noticed that I really enjoy the taste of what I eat a lot more, now. Maybe that is from less salt, not sure, although I do still use salt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nope, absolutely not disgusted by any of that stuff. It doesn't necessarily appeal to me anymore but so far everything I've tried tasted just as good to me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Tomatoey, I know what you're saying and I have experienced that with donuts where they leave that weird coating on your tongue.

That weird coating is the best part.
    giphy.gif