After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    OK I can take a hint. No one here is willing to believe that I am eating less calories than I ever have and still not losing weight. My apparently heretical opinion is not welcome. I get it. I won't be back.

Until you weigh/measure with complete accuracy, or until you've seen a doctor and have a proven, diagnosed medical condition, we're not going to believe you have the ability to gain that much weight on your asserted caloric intake. Sorry.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OK its open. The 1000 would be the total calories disregarding any activity.

OP, I feel like this thread is going in circles. People keep talking about weighing your food and not using generic entries and you disregard that. It's fine -- that's your choice. But it's pretty clear that your results are being driven by your logging. You have "Hamburger 7 oz" as an entry. Okay, what type of meat? My store sells at least two different types of ground beef and they have different calorie contents. I also get the feeling that you didn't weigh the burger (although you may have). You have things like "2 pieces bacon." How much is that? ".5 cup tuna salad" -- is it made like my grandma makes it with a little bit of low fat mayo and lots of veggies or how my aunt makes it, more like a mayo dip with a bit of tuna in it? These things change the calorie count.

It's your logging. As much as you want to fight it, the issue seems pretty straightforward.

I fully agree.

I'm surprised this thread is still here, lol.

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

Sorry, quoting spongebob...my husband is like a big kid...
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OK I can take a hint. No one here is willing to believe that I am eating less calories than I ever have and still not losing weight. My apparently heretical opinion is not welcome. I get it. I won't be back.

I don't believe it myself because I eat more calories than you do and my weight is going down.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    d36a57cc8b681cc6c6734780b259f09c.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OK I can take a hint. No one here is willing to believe that I am eating less calories than I ever have and still not losing weight.

You may be eating less than you ever have.

But you're definitely not eating at a deficit.

My apparently heretical opinion is not welcome. I get it. I won't be back.

Bye!

:drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you can afford half-pound burgers, you can afford a kitchen scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What you fail to get is that your opinion is not actually worth anything until you actually commit to doing this properly.

Opinions and facts...you're 67, you should know the difference by now.

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" Leonardo da Vinci

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    OP,

On the outside chance you've returned, you might find this video to be of interest:

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

There's another one for you, about accuracy in measurement vs estimating, but I can't find it at the moment - @rabbitjb , maybe you have a link?
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "Children have a higher TMR than adults. As people near middle-age they gain weight many times, even though they may not change their eating habits. People who pursue diets can become frustrated in part because initial weight lost is from water that is rapidly regained, but also because their TMR declines over time. As their diet process progresses, they burn fewer calories and begin to synthesize more fat, even with a stable intake of calories."

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/metabolism/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    100 calories a decade less due to decreased activity and decreased muscles

Solution : move more / lift heavy

Not a solution: keep finding excuses for failing
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    "Children have a higher TMR than adults. As people near middle-age they gain weight many times, even though they may not change their eating habits. People who pursue diets can become frustrated in part because initial weight lost is from water that is rapidly regained, but also because their TMR declines over time. As their diet process progresses, they burn fewer calories and begin to synthesize more fat, even with a stable intake of calories."

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/metabolism/

You've convinced me! Calorie counting doesn't work for you

Well, that is one possible outcome. The other is you put a similar amount of effort into logging your food accurately and tell us about all the lbs you drop
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's true, that my weight started creeping up at age 40, before this I never had a weight problem and maintained the same weight throughout adulthood.
    All it means is that I have to work a little bit harder, and be a little bit more vigilant. But I'm still able to lose weight.

Stop searching for excuses why you cant lose weight, and start looking for reasons why you can..

Head down, bum up. You CAN do it!!!!!!!

• purelyprimitives
    Options
    These are not excuses but simply facts of life. BMR does slow as we age and the terrible irony is that restricting calories only makes it worse. The key is the loss of 'free-fat mass'.

"Most people tend to experience a reduction in their metabolic rate as they age, which can lead to the unhealthy accumulation of extra body fat.1-4,18,19 A wealth of evidence now suggests that this tendency to pack on pounds over time originates with changes in your body's relationship with calories:

1. With age, your energy expenditure drops due to a decline in resting metabolic rate.3,4
    2. Aging may also cause a reduction in the conversion of stored body fat to energy.20
    3. There is an age-related reduction in fat-free mass in your body—which means a proportionate loss of this more metabolically active and energy-burning muscle tissue.2,18,19,21,22
    4. Attempts to lose excess weight trigger a decrease in resting metabolic rate— ironically contributing to continued weight gain.5-7"

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2012/12/Age-Related-Metabolic-Decline-Weight-Gain/Page-01
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    There are other people on here your age or older who are losing weight just fine by doing the things that you are fighting doing. Maybe try doing things instead of researching excuses, i don't know.

You don't seem to want help, so I'm not sure why this thread continues.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    There are other people on here your age or older who are losing weight just fine by doing the things that you are fighting doing. Maybe try doing things instead of researching excuses, i don't know.

That great for them. Not everyone is the same.

I only returned to address some of the insults thrown at me. Yes, I've come to the realization that I will not be able to lose weight and I'm good with that. This really will be my last post.

• Blueseraphchaos
    Options
    Lol....i hope you are this stubborn in other areas of your life.

Good luck with everything.
  • Christine_72
    Options

That great for them. Not everyone is the same.

I only returned to address some of the insults thrown at me. Yes, I've come to the realization that I will not be able to lose weight and I'm good with that. This really will be my last post.

That is pure and utter Bullsh*t!!

Sorry, I'm not usually this blunt, but to see someone resign themselves to being overweight for the rest of their lives is just plain sad!!!

Of course you can lose weight. You've just chosen the easy, couldn't be bothered path. .. :disappointed:

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options

Christine, stop holding back dear and let us know what you think! :wink:
    These are not excuses but simply facts of life. BMR does slow as we age and the terrible irony is that restricting calories only makes it worse. The key is the loss of 'free-fat mass'.
    http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2012/12/Age-Related-Metabolic-Decline-Weight-Gain/Page-01

Sorry, I know I am a bit slow; but, I am confused as to the point you're trying to make.

So because of your age it is a little bit/a lot/very much harder for you to lose weight.

OK. And... so what?

Is losing weight easy for women with PCOS? It is easy for people with thyroid problems? Is it particularly easy for people with mobility problems?

Eat a bit less. Move a bit more. Maintain a 500 to 750 Cal deficit... see you next year about 43lbs lighter.

Get impatient and try to force the issue by being heroic in your weight loss efforts, or, the opposite, which is what it looks like you're currently doing, fail to maintain a deficit most of the time, and you will still be at the same weight, or higher, in 12 months.

Most of the people advising you have found out what works for them, and based on the advice I've seen people give you, and unless you're a very special snowflake, what they have suggested will also work for you, if you ever decide to implement it.

Really, at the end of the day it is 100% up to you what you want to prioritize.

Best of luck in your endeavours.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Christine, stop holding back dear and let us know what you think! :wink:

I know, I don't know what's come over me today, I've been a complete poo poo head all over the forums this afternoon! :rage: