Do you add alcohol to your food diary

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    alcohol is like drinking liquid fat. last to be metabolised. of course you add it like you would add everything else

If you're in a deficit, why does it matter if you're metabolizing it last?

ya..but it's just stupid to put something in your body that's going to be housed permanently...esp. in a deficit when you need high energy foods to fuel your workouts

It's impossible to gain fat ("house permanently") while in a deficit. d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

for the Nth time
    caloric excess!!

Given that my initial question to you began with "If you're in a deficit," why did you respond with "It's just stupid to put something in your body that's going to be housed permanently esp. in a deficit"?

How does our body house energy permanently while in a deficit? You clearly understood we were talking about a deficit, not excess calories. Your answer to my question about a deficit specifically referenced that you were ALSO talking about a deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    alcohol is like drinking liquid fat. last to be metabolised. of course you add it like you would add everything else

aa2vh7d0ocsx.gif
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Yes, I add it.

How does it make me feel? What do you mean? I'm not ashamed, if that's what you mean. I have no problem adding it.
    same here

• janejellyroll
    Options

ya..but it's just stupid to put something in your body that's going to be housed permanently...esp. in a deficit when you need high energy foods to fuel your workouts

You didn't say it would be "housed permanently." You said it would be metabolized last -- but if you're in a deficit, it will still be metabolized.

We don't hold on to the energy from alcohol forever. I agree that we need high energy foods to fuel our fitness goals. I disagree that means we should never drink while maintaining a deficit.

i meant in a state of excess..The beer belly phenomenon; but of course you are free to justify your cravings

Isn't anything consumed in excess of energy needs going to be housed by the body? Why is alcohol unique in this regard?

This has nothing to do with my cravings (I'm maintaining my weight loss just fine). I'm trying to understand what you're trying to communicate here.

brain, red blodd cells and the renal medulla can use only glucose, so even if you justify indiscriminate drinking in a deficit in terms of utilisation of alcohol as an energy source, there is a very high risk of hypoglycemia. That's why it's called empty calories- you will still have to take carbs just in order to survive even though you may be in a deficit with alcohol being stored as fat.

First of all, who said anything about "indiscriminate drinking"? The vast majority of the responses in this thread have been about having a drink or two. Nobody is advocating "indiscriminate drinking."

So you're saying that if one drinks enough to get hypoglycemia, one will store the alcohol calories consumed during that drinking session as far, even if one is in a deficit? What are your sources for this claim? Are we talking about one drinking session or someone drinking enough -- while staying in a deficit -- over multiple days?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It's impossible to gain fat ("house permanently") while in a deficit. d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

for the Nth time
    caloric excess!!

Given that my initial question to you began with "If you're in a deficit," why did you respond with "It's just stupid to put something in your body that's going to be housed permanently esp. in a deficit"?

How does our body house energy permanently while in a deficit? You clearly understood we were talking about a deficit, not excess calories. Your answer to my question about a deficit specifically referenced that you were ALSO talking about a deficit.

in addition to above, the acetyl Co-A formed by alcohol metabolism ( deficit or excess - it's the same to our body) is used for either fueling up muscles (as ATP) or makes new fatty acids which invariably get stored up in adipose cells.
    Also something unrelated but relevant is acetic acid from alcohol turns pH of blood acidic-- you are in risk of acidosis with electrolyte depletion and low blood glucose..that's why getorade/lime water with sugar helps a lot in getting out of a hangover

So we either use the energy from alcohol to fuel our bodies or we store it, depending on our energy needs?

Yeah. Sounds about right. So why, again, would you say that we house it permanently while in a deficit?
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Options
    I don't drink often but I do log it when I do
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So I had my wine and my champagne last night and was 100% honest about logging everything...
    I came in under my calorie allowance! So yay.

Thanks for all of the words of wisdom. Also some really interesting debates here as well as awesome suggestions.
  • turboscrub
    turboscrub Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of craft beer, so it's been kind of tough getting an exact calorie count, but I always log what I drink. It helps that my local pub is a convenient mile from my house. The walk there and back seems to burn off at least a solid pint. :D
  • Blueloubie
    Blueloubie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Likewise I drink too but sometimes if I have not so many calories left I prefer to eat! Used to love beer but at nearly 300 cals a pint you have to weigh up your options........ I found vodka and diet coke a better option...
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Of course...except when I drink too much.
    :o
    In such cases, I just log in all booze swilled to excess as "organic green tea with honey".
    It makes me feel more saintly!
    o:)

Haha! Love this!

Op, I too was wondering the same thing about MFP. Thanks for the thread!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I was at a wedding recently and took in over 1800 calories just in alcoholic drinks. It would cause a big discrepancy to leave them out.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I dont drink often but if I do, yes
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't - if I drink I write the rest of that day off, plus why take the fun out of drinking by measuring etc? Lol. I generally drink after I've logged all my food anyway.

I read that if you drink alcohol your body switches to using it for fuel before anything else anyway since its so easy for your body to 'burn' it, so you won't be losing weight until its all been processed anyway. Just take the hit and enjoy your drinks I say :)
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I always thought that it gets metabolized FIRST, not last... Taking priority to burn over consumed foods, like @xjessicaxrx said.

It does, because its a toxin which needs eliminating
    DR2501 wrote: »
    I don't - if I drink I write the rest of that day off, plus why take the fun out of drinking by measuring etc? Lol. I generally drink after I've logged all my food anyway.

I read that if you drink alcohol your body switches to using it for fuel before anything else anyway since its so easy for your body to 'burn' it, so you won't be losing weight until its all been processed anyway. Just take the hit and enjoy your drinks I say :)

Agreed!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I have to weigh the empty calories from booze against the exercise burn I get running from the cops.
    It's all about balance...
    o0lxocmpb40g.jpg