How long to lose the skinny fat?

Options
I'm at a healthy weight, but still have a good 2 inches of fat to lose yet. I've gone to maintenance and lifting heavy. Has anyone had success with curing the skinny fat and how long did it take you?

Replies

• hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I personally have the same problem.

A friend of mine lost 140lbs and she said it took a year in maintenance to see a noticeable difference.

Some times it never goes. ..we just have to be prepared for that also.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 2 yrs and while my weight is stable I have definately gotten slimmer in that time - Keep up your lifting and give it some time. I'm not sure any of us ever entirely happy with our bodies anyway. :blush:
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If i understand you correctly, 2 inches of fat is a lot. Perhaps i do not understand you correctly. Anyway, eat a heathy diet. Do a bit of exercise and try to enjoy life and accept your body as it is with a few flaws.

If you are talking about excess skin with fat underneath, well this may take some time to tighten up. Have patience.
  • haleyallotta3
    haleyallotta3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me it takes about a month to see a difference between progress pictures. Also don't forget to do cardio. But don't go overboard, a 30-45 minute power walk 3 times a week should help with burning the layer of fat. Hope this helps! :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as well. I've lost about forty pounds but still have a "fat ring" around my stomach/back. My issue is that I'm only 5'2" and I'm down to 108 lbs., so I really don't have my weight left to lose. I'm sticking to maintenance calorie intake and lifting for year and see how it goes. I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger, but like you guys, I just want those last few spots to go.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    try to run in the fat burning cardio zone
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been a slight deficit (around 150 calories under) for 2 months whilst lifting and am now starting to see differences from the picture I took in mid June to my mid August picture. Still a work in progress of course and I have a feeling it'll be a long road. Definitely take pictures though, I wouldn't necessarily notice a change without them.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to start accepting your body NOW because otherwise you will probably never be happy with it. I lost a jeans size within 2 months of starting maintenance, and I am now noticing more tone in my arms and legs 3 months in. For the first time in my life see a little quad/ham separation line on the side of my leg! But it is still my body and looks basically the same in pictures. I don't look transformed or anything, that is probably still a couple years away. But I am keeping tabs on these minor victories to carry me through.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Whether you are considered a healthy weight or not, if you have excess fat, the way to lose it is through a calorie deficit.

I do know that. However, I'm 5'3" at 115lbs. To lose the fat would put me underweight. I've been as low as 107lbs before, but still the belly. My ribs were sticking out and I looked gross, people were getting concerned as it did not look healthy on me. I'm not willing to go below the weight that I am now because I clearly do not look healthy at a lower weight.
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jeichelb83 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as well. I've lost about forty pounds but still have a "fat ring" around my stomach/back. My issue is that I'm only 5'2" and I'm down to 108 lbs., so I really don't have my weight left to lose. I'm sticking to maintenance calorie intake and lifting for year and see how it goes. I can definitely tell I'm getting stronger, but like you guys, I just want those last few spots to go.

This is my problem area as well. I can't lose anymore weight at 5'3" 115lbs either. Hope the lifting thing works for both of us. I want the flat belly back I had as a teen, ha!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »
    jeichelb83 wrote: »

This is my problem area as well. I can't lose anymore weight at 5'3" 115lbs either. Hope the lifting thing works for both of us. I want the flat belly back I had as a teen, ha!

@Moter98 @jeichelb83
    I'm right there w/ you ladies!
    I am 5'1" 106lbs and although I could lose more weight, I don't think it's the healthy thing to do.
    I need to accept that I may always have a bit of flab, but in the meantime I have started strength training and am hoping that helps get rid of some of it!
    Good luck to you both and feel free to add me if you want some additional friends that are at the same stage in the weight loss journey as you are!
    :)
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    This thread has a fairly objective look at the efforts and approaches to recomposition, as well as a lot of individual thoughts and approaches to the process of trying to reduce fat while not cutting over-all weight (increasing lean body mass while losing fat):
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

I will be in this world around the end of October, so I am following several of these journeys and threads with great interest.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »

No. You can be underweight and still have excess fat. It's not healthy nor advisable to try to lose all body fat with weight loss alone. If you are at a healthy weight, you need to recomp not lose more weight.

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

@earthnut Thanks for this post... I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to word my response.

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options

Reread what I said. I said nothing about getting rid of all fat. I said, "if you have excess fat."

My concern w/ your statement is this: I am 5'1" 106 pounds. I got to this weight after losing 20 pounds.
    How low, weight wise, would you suggest I go?
    I'm asking a legit question BTW...

The fact of the matter is unless I get to a nearly anorexic (or maybe total anorexic state) I'm probably still going to have some flab on me.

That is the point what we are trying to get across...
    That sometimes it takes more than just weight loss.
    @TimothyFish

• dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "Healthy weight" can be quite a large range. If someone is skinny fat and under muscled they may need to lose weight to get towards the bottom of the healthy weight range before looking lean. They can then recomp and add more muscle and lose a little more fat.

Edited to add: I didn't see the earlier post that you would be underweight if you lost more. In that case, the only option is to gain some muscle.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Absolutely second this. I have been underweight, and still had a belly pooch. Underweight and still skinny fat.
    To get that nice lean look you need to have enough lean body mass to still be in a healthy weight range while your bodyfat is low.
    Just losing fat does not mean you have enough lean mass to be in a healthy weight range. Furthermore, if you don't have enough lean body mass (aka muscle), and lose a lot of fat, you will just end up skinny in a I can count your ribs kind of way.