What would you say to my 18 year old ?

Options
Hi,
Part of my family is overweight (me and my oldest daughter) and my hubby and younger daughter are "naturally" slim and eat all they like without putting on weight. Now my younger daughter who is slim and healthy (not underweight or anything like that) wants to put on weight as she believes that boys like the curvier types more... well, try to argue with an 18 year old :s so she now overeats on purpose. I really try to talk her out of this and I get a bit worried that she might end up like me and we all know the struggle it can be to lose the weight. How would you handle this situation ?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between being overweight and being curvy...

Don't get it mixed up.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If she can put on a little weight without becoming overweight, then I'd tell her that along with overeating she should also do some type of resistance training to make sure she gains muscle and fat. Fat without muscle under it is not going to look as good.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd tell her to get weight lifting and change her shape that way. She can't guarantee she'll get curves where she wants them by over-eating. More likely she'll just end up with a fat stomach! Also, she should be doing it for herself, not to find a boyfriend.

I'm glad my daughters are only 4 and 1 :)
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    the resistance training is a good idea ! Thanks
  • hupsii
    Options
    I'd tell her to get weight lifting and change her shape that way. She can't guarantee she'll get curves where she wants them by over-eating. More likely she'll just end up with a fat stomach! Also, she should be doing it for herself, not to find a boyfriend.

I'm glad my daughters are only 4 and 1 :)

Yes, I have already told her that she will end up with a big stomach only. But the weigth lifting is a good idea
  • hupsii
    Options

Don't get it mixed up.

Yes, but she might end up being overweight with her approach
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself, teenagers are stubborn. If you fight her on this and tell her that she will only end up with a big stomach, she'll push back harder. Try to encourage some strength training and look together to find information on how to make this more successful for her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Don't get it mixed up.
    But, isn't that more to subjection based on the view of the person. For instance I consider Oprah overweight, while many would consider her curvy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Weight training is going to be the best option. If she wants curves, she has a great blank canvas for it! As we all know, needing to lose weight sucks. Since she is naturally slim, she has a great base to create curves and sculpt her body into the shape she wants.

While overeating may seem like the solution in her mind, offering her better alternatives (maybe offer to get her a trainer, if you can?) will benefit her in the long run. Even if eating too much doesn't make her become overweight, it can lead to health concerns later on if she continues with bad habits.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    she could perhaps consider the strong curves weight lifting programme, which is designed to create some good curves on ladies. its a tough one though, as she is trying to become what she perceives others expectations to be, rather than for herself. does not create a positive body image.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Be honest with her. Genetics run in the family. Most females have their mother's shape, so if you ain't got the hips, she may not have them either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Boys like a lot of things that might not be good ideas for her. She should be herself and look for guys who like her for her.

That's what I tell my daughters.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the "strong curves" program suggestion. I've never done it, but have heard good things about it. The main reason I'm suggesting it is because it would be a good way to introduce her to strength training and she might go with it because it has the word "curves" in it.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Also, getting her involved in a fitness community may make her change her perception of her body. Instead of comparing herself to those of the curvy girl revolution, like Beyonce and Kim K, she will be exposed to the beauty of smaller shaped women. Gorgeous fitness models/trainers, like Jamie Eason, who are slim but also have great curves in the right places!
  • hupsii
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Be honest with her. Genetics run in the family. Most females have their mother's shape, so if you ain't got the hips, she may not have them either.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

actually she is like her father - naturally slim and personally, I think she has a great body and just don't understand how she can not be happy with it, especially when I think about all the struggles I had with being overweight
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If SHE thinks she will look better with a few pounds on, that's fine. But discourage her from ever doing anything "for a boy".

• ninerbuff
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

actually she is like her father - naturally slim and personally, I think she has a great body and just don't understand how she can not be happy with it, especially when I think about all the struggles I had with being overweight
    Well because she's 18 and more than likely inundated with social media's acceptance of people like Kim K. Regardless of the person, almost everyone has something physically they'd like to change about their appearance. Thing is, she's an adult, and like most she may have do what she wants to do and learn from it. Teens don't want to listen to what may be right. They want to achieve what their idols have done.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Boys like a lot of things that might not be good ideas for her. She should be herself and look for guys who like her for her.

That's what I tell my daughters.

QFT! Some boys like curves, some like slim, the right ones will like HER. But at 18, she may or may not believe you. Fighting her likely won't help. You could always get her to talk to her doctor about healthy ways to gain weight. My sister and I were skinny kids. My sister wanted to gain weight. Our doctor suggested things like full fat dairy, nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc. She honestly lost interest after a few weeks :P
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What??? Jesus, teenagers... Massive GRRR at Kim K and other celebrities for lying about plastic surgery :( And GRRRRRR at the whole industry for doing this to women and putting these expectations into boys' and girls' heads :(

Maybe try to poke some holes in her logic. Show her stuff about exactly how the celebrities she admires have achieved those bodies ($$$ and surgery and PhotoShop).

Also, if she thinks overeating is going to give her boobs and a bum, and leave her waist and everything else unaffected, she is going to be in for a surprise. Are there woman in your family (e.g. aunt, grandmother) with her body type? What do they look like when they gain? Maybe show her some pics of them at higher BMIs.

Oh right but KK says her waist is slim due to nonsurgical methods like that idiotic waist training. ffs. GRRR, KK, GRRR.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    She's 18...it's a phase. Ignore it. She will eventually decide that she doesn't want to be fat and she will get there quicker if she doesn't have to dig her heels in to fight you on it. IMO, anyway.