What would you say to my 18 year old ?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest she go out on some dates with her father. They can dress it up if they like, a fancy dinner, the whole nine yards. I swear teen girls get their sense of worth from their fathers, and unfortunately, mothers get relegated to "rival". Dad can tell her that she's a princess and she doesn't need to change her body shape to be attractive or worthy of boy attention.

My dad went through a beard phase in the seventies, go figure. All the female protests (three women in the household) failed to make him shave it off. Then one day I told him I was coming to like it. The grey streaks made him look "distinguished". The beard was gone the next day.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Buy her a padded bra! I was skinny as a teen and all I meant by thinking guys like curves was a fuller bust. Padded bra solved that whilst keeping my small waist.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    actually she is like her father - naturally slim and personally, I think she has a great body and just don't understand how she can not be happy with it, especially when I think about all the struggles I had with being overweight
    When I was 18 I weighed 100 lbs (5'4" tall). I had always been thin but did not like my body. I was uncomfortable physically. I was often cold. People made rude and hurtful comments about how thin I was all the time. It was embarrassing. A few years later I was closer to the middle of the healthy weight range and I felt so much better.
    It is your dd's body not yours. Just because you think she looks great doesn't mean that is how she feels.
    I would listen to your dd. Discuss that there is a healthy weight range for her height. She might feel that she looks better toward the middle or upper end of that range. Help her figure out the appropriate calories for that weight range, her activity level and nutritious foods and exercises to help her get there.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I would ask her if all women have the same opinions about things.

Nope? Well, men don't either...they are individuals with varying tastes, likes and dislikes.
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It really should be about the best possible health and well-being of your daughter. I've been told I look good at 200 pounds, but I don't feel good. I feel miserable. I prefer to be thinner than that. If she's not overweight, I don't see the problem, and you should definitely not be projecting your anxiety on to her. Your failure to maintain a healthy weight is your problem and not hers.

HOWEVER...

If a woman wants "curvy," then the best suggestion I can make is "don't forget the squats." One does not eat one's way into curves. Curves are curves, they go in and out.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but at 18, she probably isn't going to listen to anything you say. I know I didn't! Also, keep in mind that people can be as self conscious of their slim frames as those of us who need to lose weight are of our large frames. I had a friend who had trouble gaining weight and it was very emotionally tough on her. So, in this instance, I would back off. If she started having a weight issue, then you can speak up. Let her do her thing, experiment. She isn't likely to become obese in a matter of months. She might gain a little and be happy, but if she is naturally thin, she will struggle to keep it on. Recommending strength training and healthy fats would be a great thing -- I'm just not sure she will listen.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Are you sure her justification of over-eating in order to be curvy is the real reason and isn't an emotional cover up? (Just a thought)

On to your actual question...

I would suggest you Google images of different women's bodies together. You know, celebrities are a good starting point, then move to women who lift, like Jamie Eason or Jillian Michaels. That way you can both be on the same page when you think "curvy".

Once she has identified the body she aspires to, help her find the training programme that will support that goal.

It was only when I joined mfp and saw women post pics of their body after they started weightlifting that I realised that was what I wanted and that I wouldn't get it just by dieting...I had to do the right exercise too.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    As someone that is in a perfectly healthy weight range, I HATE HATE HATE when my mother tells me I need to lose more weight or comments that I'm eating to much and I should stick to celery. Try complimenting her on her body now. Tel her she's perfect. For me, it means a lot more coming from my mom than anything else.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    She is 18, tell her to join MFP and get acquainted with the gains forum.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My granddaughter popped by yesterday to pick up some crafting supplies. She's fifteen and I swear close to six feet tall already. It just popped out of my mouth, "My, you are so beautiful!", and, "We are going to have to start taking interviews of the boys showing up at your door", and, "And those rosy cheeks, so natural." She beamed and chatted about her new hairstyle.

And it came from grandma, not mom.

The more validation and feedback your girl can get on body image, the better.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a Strong Curves group on Facebook. It's listed as SC Ladies. It is a great group, with friendly women who are helpful. Many post their before and after pictures. She could sign up for it to see what the program could help her achieve.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    She is 18, tell her to join MFP and get acquainted with the gains forum.

This is really the only answer to your "how should I handle this" question. She's 18 -- there's nothing for you to "handle." Trying to talk her out of this is the surest way for her to ignore you.

As far as everything else, without seeing pics and knowing your daughter's specific goals, eating habits, and activity levels, it's impossible to know whether a) you're overreacting, or b) she's actually overeating, or c) she's doing anything right or wrong, or d) some combination of all this.

Suggest that she join MFP and move on.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    From what i've seen, it's mainly women who describe having a larger amount of fat as "curvy". The common male definition of "curvy" is the big butt/boobs (often implants) OR strong lifting type bodies/bums (Squats).

For my partner, the "plus size curvy models" are not curvy, they are plus size. But women with amazing squat bums or big boobies while maintaining "normal" body fat % are what he would describe as being curvy. He isn't saying he thinks the "plus size curvy" is gross or wrong, but it just isn't his definition.

My genetics don't equal into "curvy". Small boobs, a naturally "athletic/rectangular" body type and the tendency to store fat in weird places/ways (My body loves to store fat in my face/neck & it was the first place I lost weight from) means i'll never be "curvy" unless my definition of "curvy" is boob implants and/or a squat booty.

Honestly, I would just let her do it. Maybe say something once, but then drop it. She will either attain the body she desires, find her health is changing or find she is putting on kilos but not in the places she wanted.
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of replies concerning HER body being perfect - and I'm sure it is. But, how do you demonstrate love for YOUR body? Sometimes having people you love tell you how perfect you are while they constantly bash themselves can make a person feel strange and conflicted. Maybe you can work with her to both learn to love your bodies? I know you're looking to lose weight, but there's nothing wrong with loving what you've got while working towards your goals.
    And for more practical advice - strength training is great! It makes me feel so strong! Whether the strength is for gaining or losing or just fitness, I love the way it makes me feel and that can go a long way towards feeling better about one's body.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Show her pictures of fresh stretch marks from gaining weight. If I knew what gaining weight would do to my skin, it would have probably scared me into keeping a healthy weight.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to someone like a counselor about your issues. There is nothing for you to handle. Your tone comes off as judge mental and could really cause a lot of damage to her self esteem. Keep your opinions to yourself.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like to think children need be taught to eat healthfully and mindfully, then their weight will be where it should.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of replies concerning HER body being perfect - and I'm sure it is. But, how do you demonstrate love for YOUR body? Sometimes having people you love tell you how perfect you are while they constantly bash themselves can make a person feel strange and conflicted. Maybe you can work with her to both learn to love your bodies? I know you're looking to lose weight, but there's nothing wrong with loving what you've got while working towards your goals.
    And for more practical advice - strength training is great! It makes me feel so strong! Whether the strength is for gaining or losing or just fitness, I love the way it makes me feel and that can go a long way towards feeling better about one's body.

Good point.