"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

Options

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Even if we substitute skinny for another word (e.g. "fit"), it still implies a false dichotomy. One can be fit and still eat awesome food.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Absolutely not true.

As much as everyone on this site likes to suggest "moderation" when it comes to calorie-dense foods (pizza, ice cream, whatever), that just isn't possible for me. If I have some, I want even more. I'm single and live alone. When I get a pizza, I eat the whole pizza. I don't keep leftovers and I don't eat it in moderation. Yes, it tastes good, but it is only satisfying if I eat a lot of it. Depending on the size and kind of the pizza, it probably lasts about 10-20 min. once I get started. Being skinny does not and cannot replace the joy of eating pizza.

However, the other things associated with being fit are just enough to be motivating... if I combine the benefit of all those things AND eating lower calories actually works (which it doesn't always, a topic for a different thread and most MFP users have never had the challenges I have had with weight loss, so if you think it is frustrating for you, then just try to be me for a month). That is... looking better / being attractive (assuming that leads to actually finding a LTR), being able to spend more time outdoors and get into rock climbing and such, and living longer than I would otherwise. If not eating pizza and such works, then those things are enough to motivate me to give up that pleasure. But just being thin for the sake of being thin... if it is just for appearance and nothing else? Not better than eating delicious foods.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love food. Was able to eat anything I wanted and not gain a pound until I quit smoking over 11 years ago. I finally got mad because I couldn't bend over to tie my shoe, was winded walking up ONE flight of stairs, and couldn't stand the sight of me in a mirror. There are lots of good foods that can be done in moderation, and lots of exercises that can be done to burn off the calories. I don't like the word "skinny" or "thin". I like the word "slender" and will tape to my bathroom mirror "Nothing tastes as good as being slender.". Because it's too easy to give up and binge.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    as someone who was once fat, I can say, nope, there are lots of foods that taste better than feeling skinny. Whenever I see/hear this quote, mentally I just say "nope".
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I hate this phrase. I'm sorry, but sometimes cake and hot wings taste so much better than fitting into my size 6's. I like being on the lower end of the BMI for my height, but sometimes I could give a crap about how much clothes fit, I want a basket full of hot wing, fries and a couple beers.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Commercially we have 'skinny latte' and 'skinny jeans' and a lot of money has been made by companies using 'skinny' so generally the public don't think skinny is bad
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.

Kate Moss doesnt claim to be the originator, she said it at a particular time in 2009 as one of her mottos and the media seizd on it. Part of the reason it became infamous was because it was Kate Moss and she was/is icnonic, the media love this sort of thing and the backlash from the ED lobby all whipped it up into an even bigger controversy. Kate is a brand and in one sense she is very smart at knowing how to market that brand.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have Kate Moss's quote then the ridiculousness coming out of the FA movement...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It used to be a slogan of weight watchers years ago - long before kate moss said it.

Back then it was: 'Nothings tastes as good as being slim feels'. Then around 2007 Steven Tyler used the phrase: 'Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels'.

Its and old saying and maybe one that losses a bit in it's literal translation.

I suppose for many it should be: 'Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels'
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think the quote is fine. I love fried chicken, but I don't love it enough to eat a huge quantity of it (and gain weight).
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.

Yeah, totally. We are making the choice every day. We are NOT eating all the foods, we are absolutely saying no to some of them, or parts of the portions of them.

If it really was a food vs slim issue and you chose the food (for those who think that), how about this scenario? A fairy says she can wave her wand and you can have what you want instantly. You can either have a) a giant plate of donuts (or your delicious food of choice) or b) you can instantly be your goal weight.

Are you folks saying you would choose the doughnuts? Really??

Every day we make that choice and we are our own genie. The difference is that the change happens over months and years instead of instantly, when we choose our health over the food.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Well ok, if it's down to helpful slogans/mantras, the one that works for me sometimes is "a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips". Which I actually haven't heard anyone who's not a TV/movie character say out loud.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'd rather have Kate Moss's quote then the ridiculousness coming out of the FA movement...

Had to google "FA movement" but I would tend to agree.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Funny that you avoided using the term she used (skinny) though.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Commercially we have 'skinny latte' and 'skinny jeans' and a lot of money has been made by companies using 'skinny' so generally the public don't think skinny is bad

I don't get the correlation.

Skinny latte is just easier to roll off the tongue than skimmed milk latte.
    Skinny jeans are so called because they are tight fitting - nothing to do with size.

I don't associate either of these things with being skinny.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Well ok, if it's down to helpful slogans/mantras, the one that works for me sometimes is "a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips". Which I actually haven't heard anyone who's not a TV/movie character say out loud.

Now this is a daft one. A lifetime on the hips? I remember hearing that one and thinking "first off, I store my weight on my belly not my hips and second off, an hour at the gym will take that bite off, I certainly am not stuck with it for a lifetime.. how defeatist"

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Beyond the fact that I dislike the word "skinny" (it must makes me think of a bag of bones with no muscle and little BF...a very unhealthy look), the quote itself insinuates that being skinny is the ultimate and that one should not take any pleasure in food...and probably should really be going hungry...at least that's my interpretation.

The fact is that you can get healthy and fit and lean and still eat well and healthfully and still enjoy food, etc...IMO, this quote basically illustrates to me, a *kitten* relationship with food...which isn't healthy...and I'm all about healthy.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It used to be a slogan of weight watchers years ago - long before kate moss said it.

Back then it was: 'Nothings tastes as good as being slim feels'. Then around 2007 Steven Tyler used the phrase: 'Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels'.

Its and old saying and maybe one that losses a bit in it's literal translation.

I suppose for many it should be: 'Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels'

I can get behind your refined statement. That says to me that excessive food is not worth the unhealthy effects. When Kate Moss says it, I don't get that read. Not sure I completely buy it from Weight Watchers either, but it's more believable that they are interested in health vs. Kate Moss.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Funny that you avoided using the term she used (skinny) though.

I only avoided it due to what I posted on the first page in my first response to this thread. People hear 'skinny' and think skin and bones. I hear 'skinny' and think fit, muscled, fairly flat stomach.