August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Back to Date Run Fridays, an easy flat 8km with Sue and Kady, glad to take it easy today, saving it up for the challenging "run" up Grouse tomorrow.
    Looking forward to your description and Time for the Grind.
    20 years back I managed 82 mins (foggy memory of the exact time) . I think I left 1 lung and 1/2 of my sinuses on the trail somewhere. Worth it to say you've done it, but if you've done it multiple times, I suspect you're mad or a glutton for punishment.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    In addition, running in the dark in layers of clothing get's you mistaken for a crew that is ready to break into the Regions Bank and commit the crime of the century.
    You heard of Ocean's 11? Meet Panera's 15.
    Ummm nothing Like Hot Fresh Bread after a Run. It's Cold but I don't see any Snow - That adds a whole new dimension to running - especially at night with head lamps.
    With all the hot weather I thought I'd remind everyone of why winter running sucks: — Running below a certain temperature is not safe: When weather gets well below freezing, not only is a workout outside downright miserable, it can be dangerous.
    — You wear layers and are cold two minutes after your run ends:
    — Fingers feel frozen even when you wear gloves: You found some gloves, eh?
    — Frozen eyelashes or beards and icicles in your hair: You think you’re doing OK until you take a selfie mid-run or look in the mirror afterward.
    — It is dark for what feels like all the time: The sun doesn’t rise until after 7 ( Juliet3455 says not until 8:30 ) in the morning and sets around 5 ( Juliet3455 = 3:45 ) in the evening. Basically, it feels like it’s dark 24/7, and you’re always running before the sun rises (it's starting already) or after it sets. In the summer, on the other hand, you have nearly 15 ( Juliet3455 = 21 ) hours of glorious daylight.
    ( eh? so Canadian )
    Ironically I had one of my best runs (based on Distance and How I felt at the end) in mid January at noon when it was a Balmy -23C ( -10F ) Bright sun and no wind - 10km in less than an hour. Not fast but that's about my normal 10K time so the extra winter gear & icy trails didn't really slow me down. In reality any run is a good run.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 - 3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)
    8/6 - 3.5mi. Got up at 6:30am on my day off for a beautiful cool morning run with Neeko. Kept my average pace at 13:14 which seems to be ideal for me but I will admit my legs were tired when I was done. That hasn't happened in a while but it was a great feeling.
    8/8 - 2mi. Over did it on strength training yesterday and pushed myself to do 3 reps of 12 leg presses at 210 lbs so my legs were dead today. Even Neeko was confused when I turned around early LOL. I think I am going to try again tomorrow depending on how crazy work is and I am not sure if I want to push for 4 miles since I just stepped up to 3.5 last week. I guess I will see how I feel.
    8/10 - 1.5mi. Well yesterday didn't happen, work was insane and today it started raining and thundering when I started. Neeko and I kept going until we saw lighting but got in a fast comfortable mile and a half. No running tomorrow, I have a session with my trainer so I will try again on Wednesday for 4 miles.
    8/12 - 3.5 mi at the crack of dawn today.
    8/14 - 4.0 mi. Broke thru my glass ceiling this morning and finally made 4 miles! Woohoo! I can't believe how much my running has improved since the temperature and humidity have gone down. A few months ago I could barely make 3 miles in what it took me to run 4 today and I felt good at the end.
    8/17 - 3.0 mi Was going for 4 miles but the heat and humidity returned with a vengeance. My 3 included more walking then I wanted as it was.
    8/19 - 3.2 mi Today was the first day of school for JJ so Neeko and I were out the door at 5:15 to get our run in before I had to get him to school and me to work. At least it was nice and cool but never realized how many streets around us don't have lights.
    8/21 - 2 mi Couldn't sit still at work any longer so went for a short run. Muscle sore and tired but to much energy. Felt better when I was done.

Completed : 29.8 mi
    To go : 5.2
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    3.25 miles tonight. I think. On the theme of lying runs, runkeeper lied to me during my run! After my first 5 minutes, it tells me you have run 0.85 miles. Ummmm I don't think so. I'm pretty darn slow even on my best day and I felt horribly slow tonight. Turns out it tacked on some weird trek I didn't take as I turned from one street to another, which was about an extra 0.40 miles or so. But I estimated my miles after that and wasn't quite as slow as it seemed, as it was around 12:20 to 12:25 average per mile for the most part. So I'll take it!

But, I didn't need to poop after it was over (unlike @JoRocka earlier this week, *and* almost every run I seem to have lately), although I did collapse in a sweaty heap on the living room floor after it was done. At least the dog didn't come down and start licking the sweat off my arms and legs. Weirdo dogs, gotta love 'em :)

That gives me 31.5 miles total (I think!) out of a goal of 40 for the month.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Wimped out on doing speedwork this afternoon as my stomach wasn't cooperating (due to antibiotics - @shanaber I'm feeling your pain), so I just ended up doing 8.5 miles with friends. Luckily one (and MD) confirmed my allergy to my latest antibiotic so I'm now off that and should be able to get back to normal soon once the itching subsides.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles
    8/5 - 5.5 miles
    8/6 - 8 miles (w. 8x800s @ 6:22 pace)
    8/8 - 3 miles (sprint triathlon 5k @ 7:03 pace)
    8/10 - 9.5 miles
    8/11 - 3 mile run
    8/13 - 1 mile run
    8/16 - 5 mile run
    8/17 - 7 mile run
    8/18 - 8 mile run
    8/19 - 8 mile run
    8/20 - 8 mile run
    8/21 - 8.5 mile run

Total: 95.5 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 44.5 miles
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal 60 miles

8/1 I really...
    8/2 Need to find a better source
    8/3 For my Chinese take out supply....
    8/4 Managed a 1.17 "ralk" with all 3 puppies
    8/5 3.1 on the dreadmill until the aforementioned Chinese food from hell re "reared" (pun intended)
    its ugly head.
    8/6 2.52
    8/7 5
    8/8 3.67
    8/9 3.42
    8/10 rest
    8/11 2.22
    8/12 3.36
    8/13 4.25
    8/14 "life day" ( I like that!)
    8/15 3.65
    8/16 3.77
    8/17 3.34
    8/18 Bike
    8/19 rest
    8/20 3.47
    8/21 3.83

Total 46.75

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• aleph_0
    aleph_0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    8/1: 3.4 km
    8/3: 2.6 km
    8/9: 2.6 km
    8/10: 3.1 km
    8/16: 3.1 km
    8/18: 3.1 km
    8/21: 3.3 km

Total: 21.3 km

I'm getting close to my goal but I do need to stay on track :)

I tried a different route yesterday (along the river, and ideally it would've led me toward the Grand Canal, but I had to turn around halfway because it was my morning run before work, so I didn't have the time to walk all the way back). It was really nice, I think I'll try to run there more often.
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hit my 75 mile goal! Now extended it to 100 for August...
    exercise.png
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 - 3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)
    8/6 - 3.5mi. Got up at 6:30am on my day off for a beautiful cool morning run with Neeko. Kept my average pace at 13:14 which seems to be ideal for me but I will admit my legs were tired when I was done. That hasn't happened in a while but it was a great feeling.
    8/8 - 2mi. Over did it on strength training yesterday and pushed myself to do 3 reps of 12 leg presses at 210 lbs so my legs were dead today. Even Neeko was confused when I turned around early LOL. I think I am going to try again tomorrow depending on how crazy work is and I am not sure if I want to push for 4 miles since I just stepped up to 3.5 last week. I guess I will see how I feel.
    8/10 - 1.5mi. Well yesterday didn't happen, work was insane and today it started raining and thundering when I started. Neeko and I kept going until we saw lighting but got in a fast comfortable mile and a half. No running tomorrow, I have a session with my trainer so I will try again on Wednesday for 4 miles.
    8/12 - 3.5 mi at the crack of dawn today.
    8/14 - 4.0 mi. Broke thru my glass ceiling this morning and finally made 4 miles! Woohoo! I can't believe how much my running has improved since the temperature and humidity have gone down. A few months ago I could barely make 3 miles in what it took me to run 4 today and I felt good at the end.
    8/17 - 3.0 mi Was going for 4 miles but the heat and humidity returned with a vengeance. My 3 included more walking then I wanted as it was.
    8/19 - 3.2 mi Today was the first day of school for JJ so Neeko and I were out the door at 5:15 to get our run in before I had to get him to school and me to work. At least it was nice and cool but never realized how many streets around us don't have lights.
    8/21 - 2 mi Couldn't sit still at work any longer so went for a short run. Muscle sore and tired but to much energy. Felt better when I was done.
    8/22 4.6 mi Was going to take an easy day but once I got moving I felt great. I think I could have kept going for an even 5 miles but I was in front of my house so I stopped. This has been a fabulous month for me, I am consistently adding distance to my runs. This is another PR for distance and the first one over an hour (barely at 1:01:36).

Completed : 34.4 mi
    To go : 0.6 miles
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    5.2 morning miles.

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles with the Thursday crew
    8/7: 5 miles
    8/8: 3 miles
    8/9: 18 miles
    8/10: 4 miles
    8/11: REST DAY!!
    8/12: 10 miles
    8/13: 7 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/14: REST DAY!!
    8/15: 6 miles with the Saturday morning group
    8/16: 14 miles
    8/17: 5 miles
    8/18: Rest
    8/19: 9.2 miles
    8/20: 8 miles am + 6.3 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/21: Rest (went shopping and got the last of the "sizing down" clothes I need for summer/fall)
    8/22: 5 miles

Stepped outside shortly after 8 am, and it was FIFTEEN DEGREES COOLER than when I stepped out at 6 am two days ago. And let me tell you, it was great. The air smelled like what a warm September day smells like and I am so, so ready for fall running so I can reap all of the summer training rewards! Overnight low tonight is forecasted to be 60, so my 15 miler tomorrow is going to be so lovely :)

141.9/200

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Question for the runners out there who are (or have in the past) done two-a-day runs regularly...

I am finding my schedule a bit difficult lately to hit my weekly miles based on the focus on lots of long, slow miles. Mainly, the biggest issue is that my shortest run in my normal schedule right now is 8 miles, which for me can take 1:45 to 2 hours even! My weekend long runs I am not so concerned with, but I also have a mid-week long run on Wednesdays of 12 miles currently, which can take from 2:45 to 3 hours (more if I have to make rest stops).

Getting a 2-3 hour block of contiguous time is what is wrong. Mornings used to be when I would fit these in, but with this mileage and times it is difficult to do that when I have to wake the first kid up for school at 5:45am, meaning I would have to be up around 3am, or even 2am on a long run day in order to be dressed, ready, all that and out the door in time. Not practical at all.

Evenings are a nice backup when possible, but many times not realistic either. The only thing dependable is getting them out of the way in the morning. After that, maybe I can run later...maybe not.

So I am giving a lot of thought to running twice a day. Say a 4 or 6 miler in the morning. I could wake up for that much easier. And then later in the day fit in another one.

So my main question is, if my goal was 8 miles on a given day, would two 4 milers give me the same benefit? Same with higher mileage?

I am not doing speedwork, just focusing on lots of miles and trying to continue building my strength, endurance, form and pace.

Remind me: what is the event you're training for?

I wouldn't say I do 2-a-days regularly since I've only started doing them for the last two weeks, but I see them as something I'll continue doing for the foreseeable future, and so here's my thoughts: Personally I do a two-a-day on Thursdays so I can squeeze in another rest day on Friday while still getting ~50 miles in every week and hitting all my targeted workouts and easy/recovery runs. So I don't split a run in two; I do my "Friday" workout on Thursday morning and then do my group runs in the evening. However, depending on what your race goals are, you could probably split your runs into two for now since you're still doing really long runs on the weekend (what, 16, or 20 miles regularly?). And you may even find that splitting your runs may help you work on strength and form because you won't be as fatigued at the start as you may be if you're doing 2-3 hour runs almost daily. Also I agree with pretty much everything @Stoshew71 said :)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for August

8/1 17 miles - 17
    8/2 REST DAY
    8/3 10.5 miles - 27.5
    8/4 9.25 miles - 36.75
    8/5 5.65 miles - 42.4
    8/6 REST DAY Unplanned (domestic emergency and bad weather)
    8/7 6.4 miles - 48.8
    8/8 18 miles - 66.8
    8/9 REST DAY
    8/10 10.15 - 76.95
    8/11 9.25 - 86.2
    8/12 6.25 - 92.45
    8/13 10 miles - 102.45
    8/14 6.2 miles - 108.65
    8/15 18 miles - 126.65
    8/16 REST DAY
    8/17 10.5 miles - 137.15
    8/18 10.5 miles - 147.65
    8/19 6.2 miles - 153.85
    8/20 9.4 miles - 163.25
    8/21 6.75 miles - 170
    8/22 18 miles - 188

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    In addition, running in the dark in layers of clothing get's you mistaken for a crew that is ready to break into the Regions Bank and commit the crime of the century.
    You heard of Ocean's 11? Meet Panera's 15.
    Ummm nothing Like Hot Fresh Bread after a Run. It's Cold but I don't see any Snow - That adds a whole new dimension to running - especially at night with head lamps.

Yeah, we don't get much snow down here in northern Alabama, and when we do they shut everything down.
    I however did sneak onto the Army base the last time it snowed and ran. I wasn't supposed to go in since "officially" it was closed down, but being from NJ I know how to drive in 2" of snow and I wasn't about to take a vacation day for 2" of snow. LOL

But yeah, people around here hate ice and snow.

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom urgh, don't you just love unsolicited advice? Funny how none of these random people ever have anything useful to say!

It's boiling in London today (30°) so a more leisurely pace was key today on my long run. I was aiming for 18 miles but my route turned out to be 18.9 - bonus!

exercise.png

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Arh, my stupid ticker won't update! Total is 61.8 miles!
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    8-1: 2.5 mi
    8-2: 2.62 mi
    8-5: 2.6 mi
    8-8: 2.77 mi
    8-9: 2.77
    8-12: 2.91 mi
    8-13: 2.49 mi
    8-16: 3.13 mi
    8-17: 1.15 mi
    8-18: 1.11 mi...got scary tinges of knee pain today, called it quits conveniently as my mother happened to be driving by.
    8-21: 2.53 mi...felt much better today after taking time off. My pacing was much quicker than it has been since I was about 6 weeks in c25k. Paired w/ endurance training I think this is a good sign for the future.
    8-22: 2.45 mi. Went back to W6D1 of c25k for some intervals...started out quick and burned out by the last 5 minutes. Lesson learned!

29.03 mi(!!!)/30 month
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.
    8/9 - 9.3 miles
    8/10 - 3.5 miles of recovery - it's my birthday it's my birthday!! :sunglasses:
    8/11- 6.1 miles
    8/12 - 3.5 miles - Wed is usually my rest day but I need to be in work at OhDark30 the next two days so I ran today.
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - rest day - work got in the way for 2 days :-(
    8/15 - 6.5 miles - halfway right on schedule
    8/16 - 8.6 miles - longest run ever for Skip - so proud of her
    8/17 - 3.5 miles of leisurely run in the rain
    8/18 - rest day
    8/19 - 6.4 miles legs still sore and they talked to me the whole run - they weren't cursing so I kept going :smiley:
    8/20 - 5.1 miles
    8/21 - 3.5 miles - overslept a bit so I knew I couldn't do the 4.5 I wanted ended up with a 10:15 pace, felt great.
    8/22 - 6.5 miles

93.9 miles of 120

exercise.png

When a run is bad it's bad. Without a doubt the hardest miles Skip and I have run, it started slow and awful and never got better. She got sting by a wasp at like mile 3, I heard it bbbbuuuuzzzzz when it hit her under the eye, she started to scream and cry and instantly you could see it start to swell. Luckily we had cold water and she was able to put it on her eye. Then at mile 4.5 I got a side stitch that came on fast and hard to the point I was doubled over in pain. We walked about a 1/4 mile and it got better. We continued until we got back to where we started and called it a day ... while we were still alive. Luckily she is taken benedryl for the allergic reaction she was having to the antibiotics she took and the swelling in already gone.

@ohhim Skip got her finger and got a staph infection last weekend. She had an allergic reaction to the first antibiotic and broke out in a rash from head to toe. She's been on something else for 4 days and the rash finally stopped itching and it starting to go away. So we know how you feel. She has been taking oatmeal baths and benedryl.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    8.4 km this morning for 40 km this month. 10 km left to go to reach 50km. Probably will be just over kthis month.