Sugar free

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well Cwolfmange - eating more in calories than you burn - possibly! or does fruit have magic calories that don't cause weight gain??? Please enlighten me!

no *kitten* sherlock...that's not even the premise of the thread...the premise of the thread is going sugar free...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVH9_YlNnLMGXBbb4Q9z9nc8J3fERJl6UkEkpe5rzDse8tpwcXOw

Weird statement, but I'm sure your daddy's proud of you anyway!!!

If you actually read what the op said (in their own words)! They are looking to go 'added sugar free' which I assume from their previous statements they are refer in to processed foods. Then to reduce their intake of sugar from fruit (I can only assume they feel they eat too much of the stuff)!

Keep up!!!! I know it can be taxing!!!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well Cwolfmange - eating more in calories than you burn - possibly! or does fruit have magic calories that don't cause weight gain??? Please enlighten me!

no *kitten* sherlock...that's not even the premise of the thread...the premise of the thread is going sugar free...

If you actually read what the op said (in their own words)! They are looking to go 'added sugar free' which I assume from their previous statements they are refer in to processed foods. Then to reduce their intake of sugar from fruit (I can only assume they feel they eat too much of the stuff)!

Lol...
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do limit added sugar, two fruit servings a day, and carbs to 45 grams max per meal or snack. I feel great, my pre-diabetes is under control, and I have lost weight. I really do not miss it. Limiting my salt intake is much more challenging in my opinion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I've reduced sugar, mostly in baked goods and drinks that require added sugar. I've found the less sugar I eat, the less I want, and the less I can tolerate. I feel sick from a Snickers bar now, and I can only eat one cookie at a time.

I am eating more fruit and was surprised to learn that fruit that tastes very sweet to me, like strawberries, actually has a surprisingly low amount of fruit.

I eat dried fruit very sparingly. Sometimes I will have one dried apricot after a meal, and this is enough to take care of the desire for dessert, which I now seldom feel these days.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    so what's too much then...enlighten me....

I eat about 6-8 servings of veg daily...3-4 servings of fruit...so enlighten me, what am I doing wrong?

The autopsy will tell us :-)

Until then who knows, data on outliers is sparse and less reliable.
  • lawanddean
    lawanddean Posts: 46 Member
    Options

• lawanddean
    Options
    Yes I was eating too much fruit, about 2 bananas, lots of grapes, apples, plums and peaches everyday. I learnt that in moderation fruit is fine but yes too much is not good for you. Although veggies seem fine no matter how much I eat. I used to think eating lots of fruit was healthy but it's really not. About 2 to 3 a day seem about right, but I'm just taking personal experience everyone is different
  • kristieritter1
    kristieritter1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar 10 months ago, meaning that in my day in and day out, I do not eat foods with added sugar, I limit high sugar fruits and foods that turn to insulin quickly in our bodies (traditional bread, white potatoes) I use stevia to sweeten things. I would say it's doable--try it!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lawanddean wrote: »
    Also I've increased my calories from 1400 which was recommended by this site too 2000 as my food now is high in calories (nuts, dairy) I've always struggled to lose weight unless I exercise but having twin babies has meant I am unable to go to the gym 5 times a week (which I did pre babies) I've never thought it was possible to eat more, do less exercise (which I'm not recommending as I will be back to the gym ASAP) and still lose weight which isn't water retention

Increasing calories will result in slower weight loss and depending on your caloric needs, possibly weight gain.
  • lawanddean
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Also I've increased my calories from 1400 which was recommended by this site too 2000 as my food now is high in calories (nuts, dairy) I've always struggled to lose weight unless I exercise but having twin babies has meant I am unable to go to the gym 5 times a week (which I did pre babies) I've never thought it was possible to eat more, do less exercise (which I'm not recommending as I will be back to the gym ASAP) and still lose weight which isn't water retention

Increasing calories will result in slower weight loss and depending on your caloric needs, possibly weight gain.

• lawanddean
    Options
    My body doesn't work like that, if I reduce calories to what this site tells me too I gain weight as my body stores fat as it's not getting enough calories. I have chosen to increase calories but not eat processed food and cut out all added sugar and it's working really well. I used to think calories made you put on weight but I know for a fact, for me it's added sugar and processed food
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes I was eating too much fruit, about 2 bananas, lots of grapes, apples, plums and peaches everyday. I learnt that in moderation fruit is fine but yes too much is not good for you. Although veggies seem fine no matter how much I eat. I used to think eating lots of fruit was healthy but it's really not. About 2 to 3 a day seem about right, but I'm just taking personal experience everyone is different

You realize that there is a HUGE difference in calories between fruits, and vegetable?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't work like that, if I reduce calories to what this site tells me too I gain weight as my body stores fat as it's not getting enough calories. I have chosen to increase calories but not eat processed food and cut out all added sugar and it's working really well. I used to think calories made you put on weight but I know for a fact, for me it's added sugar and processed food

So your body defies basic physics?

Yeah, sorry no. You are not a special snowflake that the laws of physics don't apply to.
  • lawanddean
    Options

You realize that there is a HUGE difference in calories between fruits, and vegetable?

• lawanddean
    Options
    Yes I do :) I know the calories in everything after using this site :)
  • happyangela16
    happyangela16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sugar-free due to the face that I eat some whole grains and fruits. And I do splurge now and then. OH an my morning coffee has sugar too lol. But I've cut WAY back. Sweets are my weakness! But I am learning and trying to keep them under control. I have PCOS and it is very important that I keep my sugar and carb intake under control.
  • lawanddean
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

So your body defies basic physics?

Yeah, sorry no. You are not a special snowflake that the laws of physics don't apply to.

• lawanddean
    Options
    Weight management is a simple game of math, these folks argue. To maintain your current weight, you need to consume the same number of calories your body burns each day. To lose a pound, you need to create a caloric deficit of approximately 3,500 calories. Whether you create that deficit by eating less fat, less carbohydrate, less protein or a little less of everything is immaterial.

It sounds sensible, but it’s actually not true. A calorie is not a calorie, in more than one sense. Carbohydrate, fat and protein calories are indeed equal by definition in terms of their energy content, but the body processes each in a distinct way, and these differences have real implications for weight management. In addition, food calories of all types may have very different effects on the body depending on when they are eaten and what they are eaten with.
  • lawanddean
    Options
    I'm not completely sugar-free due to the face that I eat some whole grains and fruits. And I do splurge now and then. OH an my morning coffee has sugar too lol. But I've cut WAY back. Sweets are my weakness! But I am learning and trying to keep them under control. I have PCOS and it is very important that I keep my sugar and carb intake under control.

• lawanddean
    Options
    That's a really good, I used to have sugar in my morning tea, felt weird giving it up but after a while I didn't even notice :)