Sugar free

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's calories in and calories out because science.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    lawanddean wrote: »
    Weight management is a simple game of math, these folks argue. To maintain your current weight, you need to consume the same number of calories your body burns each day. To lose a pound, you need to create a caloric deficit of approximately 3,500 calories. Whether you create that deficit by eating less fat, less carbohydrate, less protein or a little less of everything is immaterial.

It sounds sensible, but it’s actually not true. A calorie is not a calorie, in more than one sense. Carbohydrate, fat and protein calories are indeed equal by definition in terms of their energy content, but the body processes each in a distinct way, and these differences have real implications for weight management. In addition, food calories of all types may have very different effects on the body depending on when they are eaten and what they are eaten with.

A calorie is a calorie.

A calorie is a unit of measure, nothing more. That is like claiming an inch is not an inch.
  • lawanddean
    lawanddean Posts: 46 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes a calorie is calorie, I didn't mean to say it wasn't, what I meant was bodies process calories differently depending on where the source has come from. So 500 calories of processed, high sugar food is not the same as 500 calories of heathy natural food as bodies process them differently. Lots of research confirms this. My calorie in take now is more, but nothing is processed where as before it was. So as a result I'm losing weight and feeling healthier.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Yes a calorie is calorie, I didn't mean to say it wasn't, what I meant was bodies process calories differently depending on where the source has come from. So 500 calories of processed, high sugar food is not the same as 500 calories of heathy natural food as bodies process them differently. Lots of research confirms this. My calorie in take now is more, but nothing is processed where as before it was. So as a result I'm losing weight and feeling healthier.

Still nope.

It is well researched and proven that 3500 calories equals 1 lb. That would be like saying 12inches does not equal 1 foot because of the "quality" of the inch.
  • lawanddean
    Options
    Let's agree to disagree :) I'm happy with how it's working for me if I start putting weight on from it then I'll know it's not working but for now it's working a treat and Ive never felt better :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Most people around here do not believe in this this. At all. I do believe that my body will handle jube-jubes differently than a steak or heavy cream, and that will affect if I gain weight, maintain or lose, if I am eating at TDEE, although I know that eating at a deficit is a large driver of weight loss.

You may get a lot of arguments based on your experiences....
  • lawanddean
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Most people around here do not believe in this this. At all. I do believe that my body will handle jube-jubes differently than a steak or heavy cream, and that will affect if I gain weight, maintain or lose, if I am eating at TDEE, although I know that eating at a deficit is a large driver of weight loss.

You may get a lot of arguments based on your experiences....

• lawanddean
    Options
    I do see why people wouldn't agree as I've been dieting since I was 18 and am now 35 and totally wouldn't have agreed with myself a few months ago. I feel like my eyes have been opened and wish I had realised this sooner. Documentaries like the sugar movie etc have shown me what I needed for me personally to lose weight. Thank you for your comment :)
  • elphie754
    Options
    Let's agree to disagree :) I'm happy with how it's working for me if I start putting weight on from it then I'll know it's not working but for now it's working a treat and Ive never felt better :)

You can "disagree" with science all you want, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    msu87kzjv9v5.jpeg

That is true, although science was wrong about saturated fats! A gold fish had a 5 second memory etc.....etc

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    just started to try and go sugar free, anyone tried it?

I've done low carb. Years ago (about a decade ago) I did a strict Atkins program and lost about 60 pounds in a few months. Gained about half that back within two years, plus a tad extra and hovered around that level for a number of years after that, while still ostensibly eating "low carb" (e.g., avoiding simple sugars, breads, etc).

Now I'm on the MFP train. I'm simply focusing on eating less and exercising more (IMAGINE THAT), and trying to choose foods that leave me satisfied without gorging me with calorie density (think fruits and veggies).

I've cautiously been allowing myself bread and sugary things now, as long as I carefully log it. Had some cake today at a party my daughter attended. Tasted good. I think I like what I'm doing now.

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    My body doesn't work like that, if I reduce calories to what this site tells me too I gain weight as my body stores fat as it's not getting enough calories

LOL Mmmmk.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    And also, your body processes all types of real sugars the same. In other words, your body processes white refined sugar the same way it processes the sugar in an apple or honey.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes with the occasional treat so I dont go crazy. These 2 people are amazing. Not only have they lost weight, they have turned around their health from at risk (prediabetic) to no longer at risk. I follow this plus exercise:
    http://www.nzsugarfree.co.nz/

and if you have time to watch this doco if you wish to:
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/ondemand/nigel-latta/nigel-latta-is-sugar-the-new-fat-/02-09-2014
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My body doesn't work like that, if I reduce calories to what this site tells me too I gain weight as my body stores fat as it's not getting enough calories. I have chosen to increase calories but not eat processed food and cut out all added sugar and it's working really well. I used to think calories made you put on weight but I know for a fact, for me it's added sugar and processed food

Your body does work like that, just the same as every body out there. Nobody stores fat if they are not getting enough calories. If you are losing weight, it is only because you are in a calorie deficit. Nobody gets to be a special snowflake and defy science. ;)

Here are three basic truths that everyone needs to know about weight management. Anything outside of this is personal preference only, or doctor mandated because you have a medical condition that requires a special diet.
    • If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight.
    • If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
    • If you eat about the same amount of calories you burn, you will maintain weight.

A calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss. Nutritionally foods are very different, but a person can lose weight on a nutritionally poor diet and gain weight on a nutritionally superb diet. In fact, if you eat too many calories, you can even gain weight on a....ahem.....sugar free aka no added sugar diet.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Weight management is a simple game of math, these folks argue. To maintain your current weight, you need to consume the same number of calories your body burns each day. To lose a pound, you need to create a caloric deficit of approximately 3,500 calories. Whether you create that deficit by eating less fat, less carbohydrate, less protein or a little less of everything is immaterial.

It sounds sensible, but it’s actually not true. A calorie is not a calorie, in more than one sense. Carbohydrate, fat and protein calories are indeed equal by definition in terms of their energy content, but the body processes each in a distinct way, and these differences have real implications for weight management. In addition, food calories of all types may have very different effects on the body depending on when they are eaten and what they are eaten with.

Oh my.....I used to think this way too. If I ate certain foods I would gain weight or lose weight, depending on how much I had either glorified or demonized that food. This is not healthy thinking.

I'm here to tell you it's 100% bunk. It really is.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    msu87kzjv9v5.jpeg

That is true, although science was wrong about saturated fats! A gold fish had a 5 second memory etc.....etc

Ancel Keys (a scientist, cough) fudged his numbers to fit his work.

So yeah, science.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You can "disagree" with science all you want, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

This.